• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

as sneaky as the trickster god - mountain, any
    [feel free to have mountain attack her and we can see where it goes from there... could get interesting! hehehe. also, sid let me know if that's not ok and i'll edit it]

this will never end, ‘cause i want more, more, give me more
    Maybe she needs to let off a little steam. Maybe she’s feeling vindictive. Maybe she wants to prove in a very odd manner that she isn’t a mutinous bitch (I mean she is, but just to Scorch, not the sisterhood or the Jungle) by getting the ball rolling in a certain respect. Maybe she’s trying to be provocative. Maybe she just needs a break from her son.

Whatever the case is, Lagertha is admittedly taking the easy way by stealing one of the Tundra’s youngest members. It’s easy. Almost too easy. Was no one watching out for the boy? If not, shame on them. If so… well then perhaps Lagertha is just that good, regardless of what everyone else thinks. Was it ludicrous to think that she might make a better Queen than Scorch? Why were she and Rhy the only ones to see the truth of the matter? Lagertha shakes her head impatiently to clear it of distracting thoughts, for it would not do to be caught. Not right now. The steel-toned warrior becomes dark green as coats her body in a layer of moss to mask her scent, and then heads northward.

When Lagertha arrives at the Tundra’s border, she skulks around the edge, taking her time to look for an opening and cross unnoticed. It is here that she finds a yearling colt all by himself (exploring? lost? she didn’t take the time to ask) and forcefully (she has determination on her side, and anger, and those are powerful forces) herds him this way and that until they reach the edge of the Kingdom. It wasn’t all quietly done, though, and more than once, Lagertha spares a moment of attention to look back and see if anyone is coming to rescue the boy. To see if anyone is going to come stop her.

Part of her wants them to (the other part wants a successful steal). She’s practically looking for a fight.

lagertha
    carnage x grim reaper; amazonian general
    when my time comes around
    lay me gently in the cold dark earth

Errant yawns, his grey eyes heavy-lidded as he makes his way back to the Tundra. He expects to make it there by moonrise, to find shelter from the wind and sleep late into the coming morning.

Not expecting the sudden motion at the border, the black stallion shies away, pivoting about so that he is facing the noise in the darkness. Peering through the shadow, he sees a familiar thin figure with strange bark legs. He doesn't recognize the other with him, so taking in mind the lateness and the noise of a scuffle, moves forward so that he stands between the path away from the Tundra and the two horses.

He has the time now to take stock of the stranger. Even in the darkness she smells strongly of the Amazons, and her green and red tattoo is bright even in the shadow.

“And where are you two off to so late at night? This can't be a steal, after all, unless the Amazons have decided that stealing children is their new hobby.” Errant's voice is mildly amused, but his grey eyes are searching as he looks over at Nihlus. He shifts his weight to one side, clearly content to wait for an answer. All sign of weariness is gone from the black horse, and he meets the younger male’s gaze.

“I imagine getting fetched away by a pretty lady was something you’d only dreamed about till now.” He says, with something close to familial affection, “But I doubt your grandmother would approve of her women taking such young paramours.” With that he turns his grey gaze on Lagertha, and it seems to shift from warm grey to cool silver in the space between one breath and the next.

e r r a n t

no grave can hold my body down
    i'll crawl home to her

[Image: leaanderrant_zpsqa4goyjv.gif]
    The air is still very cold, though with spring here it has been slowly warming. It will never be truly warm in the Tundra, but he has grown so accustomed to it he barely notices anymore. The amazon however, must be freezing. He spots her scooting around the borders of her kingdom and curiosity snags at him. There are very few reasons for the warrior woman to be sneaking about rather than calling to them for a meeting. So he decides to follow at a safe distance.

The woman has nothing on him when it comes to ability to blend and hide. He can become invisible after all. For the time being however, he does not resort to using his ability. If she catches him following, then so be it. The jig is up. When he sees her begin to herd the young colt away however, he knows exactly what she is up to. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out. And here he had been thinking they were on friendly terms with the women of the Jungle.

As he approaches the mare, he notes that Errant had also apparently discovered the mare’s actions. He nods briefly to him before turning his attention to the thieving mare. Whatever his differences are with the stallion, on this front they can stand united.

As he stares at the warrior woman, his features are a cold mask, his dark eyes as frigid as the rest of him. As his gaze move from mare to colt and back again, he allows the corners of his mouth to shift into a faint smirk as a hint of amusement bleeds through.

Has the Jungle fallen so far that you must now resort to stealing children?
    There is never a day that goes by
    that is a good day to die.
    Hurricane
    html c Insane

there's no religion that could save me

no matter how long my knees are on the floor

i'll pick up these broken pieces 'til i'm bleeding

if that'll make it right

Oh-ho, he’s almost too easy? Perhaps she does not know (does not know that the oceans fall from the skies when he commends them to, does not know that his skin changes with the bat of a lash, does not know of whose loins he was birthed).  But ignorance is bliss, I suppose – though this woman seems to have a very bitter sense of the phrase.

He’s watching the local foxes – studying, if you will – when she comes to him forcefully, looking of moss and smelling of fury. "Fock’off!” He exclaims when her large side barrels into his; luckily, though minor be his age, Nihlus stands tall. His breeding makeup only confirms the shadows of what his body may become; with Scorch and Hestoni as grandparents, and Sinder – a Warlander mutt – as a father, it only makes sense.

He attempts to bite her, but only manages to stumble when she continues pushing at him. Another attempt simply proves how useless – and disgusting – biting moss is, and Nihlus snarls. Knowing that he cannot physically harm her, and that he’d be damned if he got hustled away by some broad, Nihlus prepares himself for the shift.

It happens just before they reach the edge of the kingdom. Having fallen into the role of ‘poor, weak yearling boy,’ the woman had slowed her pushing. When a small gap grew between the two, Nihlus squeezed his eyes shut and shifted. A feeling like fire flowed through his body (suiting, I suppose. A true sign of heritage). When those glowing blue eyes opened, he stood far below the woman, a large, black-brown hare with white bark along his paws, his one identifying feature in this form. Twitching his whiskers as though snickering, the Tundra-Deserts-Valley child turned to leave.

That is, he turned to leave and nearly ran right into his great-uncle. Fumbling over his paws – he’s never had much practice in this form, just little spurts when he knew the foxes to be sleeping – Nihlus wonders briefly what is to be done. Deciding that this little scene might be just the drama he needs, the rabbit hops backwards a couple times, squeezes his eyes shut, and shifts.

When the burning sensation wears off, Errant is addressing him. A smirkful grimace comes over his features at the jibe, and his reply is only awkward because Errant has the wrong of it, not because he is ashamed; "The dreams usually include pretty gentlemen, not… These.” He gestures towards Lagertha and her clear femaleness. "Though I must say that Scorch would rather approve me with any woman opposed to those that I have my eyes on.” He chuckles.

Hurricane – a man he’s only met through meetings and other such nonsense – joins the party, and Nihlus leans his weight to one side. It seems as though this may be the beginning of a party, and all about him, too. "According to Errant, she’s stealing me away for romantic reasons. She couldn’t have possibly picked a worse fellow though. ”

Ah, Nihlus. Ever the eccentric.
    Nihlus
    rain manipulating, rabbit shifting son of Sinder & Noori

M

O

U

N

T

A

I

N

Anything I say you lie along with me

Every song you sing is all because of me

"Well well well..." I say, creeping from the depths of the cold mountainous air. In truth, I am late to the party - but what good king arrives first? Let my subjects do as they're supposed to - guard the borders. Keep me safe. Keep our legacy safe.

It seems that I've wandered upon a mare - an Amazon - who is attempting to steal the young colt who recently joined our ranks. N-something, I don't remember. If he stays I suppose I will remember, but if not...eh. Names are like wind these days. Others have approached her first - Hurricane, and then the stallion who leads the army. Did he ever tell me his name? I don't remember. It's become a rather pleasant blur, this kingdomship.

"I see we've breached our contract," I lie. There is no contract, but does she know that? I'm unaware of the dealings of the jungle, of their secret meetings and voting on alliances. I know only that Scorch - the new queen - came to us shortly ago. We are friends, if not simply because her markings and general appearance fascinate me. This mare? She is plain and boring, so unlike the exotic Amazons I'd seen before. I doubt she could do me any harm, especially surrounded by my men. "Does your queen know of this? Is she supporting you? Or is this on your own accord - straying from the ranks? Proving yourself? Hmm?" I don't know what nerve I am most likely touching, because all I know is how to say the meanest thing. Battle experience? None. Do we have an alliance with the Amazons? Doubtful. Does anyone else know that? "I'm sure Scorch, a dear personal friend of mine, would love to hear of your deceit."

Lies, lies, lies! If only I knew the company I was keeping! If only I knew the truth behind my words!
    If only, if only.

Anytime I cry you always laugh at me.

No matter what you do you belong to me

I’ve been reading in National Geographic about the Natives of Papua New Guinea. They would go to war with a neighboring tribe, when they conquered them the winners would eat the vanquished tribe’s best warriors, their medicine man, and their chief. Do you think it's possible to take someone's power by eating their flesh? Or could you do it just by bathing in their blood?

Leave it up to men to only see the face value of what’s happening. She puts the pieces together, and after a moment of scrutinizing the stallion (they’d never met, but grandmother plus his tone leads her to take a stab in the dark, especially given the meeting’s revelations), says, “Errant, I assume?” The General matches his gaze with a cool one of her own. “Besides exposing the cracks in your security, I’m giving you yet another reason to oust your King. That is what you want, isn’t it?”

Shouldn’t he be able to peek inside her mind and figure it all out for himself?

She turns to the next fellow to approach and taunt her, replying simply with, “It’s a bit more complicated than that, but I wouldn’t expect your frozen brain to be able to understand.” Lagertha then promptly returns back to Errant, ignoring the second fellow, as if to say ‘hush, the Generals are talking.’ Cause they are. And she is offering help, after all, even if it comes in the guise of a steal (which she will have anyway).

And then the object of her little quest appears, and from the first phrase out of his mouth, she can tell the assessments she’s heard are true. “Quite the contrary,” Lagertha interrupts, “we have no contract, and Scorch has opened the Tundra up to steals.” She pauses before adding snidely, “You weren’t deemed worthy of a treaty in our most recent kingdom meeting. Something about being a weak king.” Her eyes slide back to the yearling (young adult really… child was a bit of a misnomer, especially if he’s as big as he says he is), whom she has pretty much ignored up till now. “So I believe your brother is mine, for a year. Unless you’d like to challenge me for him.” She let's her voice drift off with the proposal, betting on the fact that this King would be full of hubris.

We all know what happens to kings that are full of hubris.
    lagertha

[just fyi, the steal is valid, per http://beqanna.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=489. So it does kind of have to happen. also, if you could let this play out between lagertha and mountain without any sort of magical intervention, i would appreciate it.]
    when my time comes around
    lay me gently in the cold dark earth

Errant is not an ignoble creature – Lagertha has managed to get the boy past the edges of their kingdom; Nihlus belongs to the Amazons for whatever length of term they wish to keep him there (assuming his term is not cut short by brotherly intervention).

He glances over as the dapple grey stallion approaches, bright in the darkness. Errant nods in greeting and listens as the other male pokes fun at the Amazon as well. Easy pickings, they all know, and they’re within all bounds to tease even though their time (and distance) to save Nihlus from the Amazons has expired. Looking at Hurricane Errant misses the boy’s shift to rabbit, and glances down when something small hits his leg. He cocks his head, bemused, and watches as the little hare becomes Nihlus.

“Neat trick,” he says mildly, nodding in approval. Errant had tried being small once (a little lemming with bright black eyes) but has disliked the overwhelming fear that came with being such a tiny prey animal. He does not shift species often enough to mind. Nihlus says something about liking stallions more than mares, but since he hasn’t said children, Errant cares just about as much for the colt’s sexual preferences as he would if the bark-legged boy had said he preferred logs and stones to flesh and blood.

When Mountain joins the gathering, Errant clicks his teeth together quietly, an old habit he had long ingrained into the unconscious as a mechanism to not speak out of turn. He was raised in a kingdom after all, the result of a long line of kings. He can hold his tongue; he can bide his time. Even as Mountain speaks about an contract with the Amazons, Errant is quiet. They had asked about alliances but Mountain had given them no answers! Now it seems they have an agreement with the Jungle that this mare is breaking. Oathbreaking and child-theft? This moss-covered grey mare is not impressing him.

It’s only when Mountain names Scorch as a friend does Errant start to doubt the man’s words. His sister – bald rat Scorch – with a dear personal friend? The idea is ludicrous, and Errant looks once more at the grey mare, hoping she contradicts other lies Mountain might have spoken.

Errant is a magician after all, but he is neither omniscient nor omnipotent. There is no need to waste the particular energy of magic on something that he could find out in a natural way, after all.

The mare, who he is nearly certain he has never seen before, is somehow able to identify him immediately. Well, he supposes, he does have rather distinctive scarring. Perhaps someone has been describing Tundra residents in excruciating physical detail and Lagertha happens to have listened in on a lecture about Errant. It’s not as though he’s still hiding beneath a bay roan coat, after all.

What she says about wanting Mountain overthrown though, that causes him to still momentarily. That topic has come up only in two conversations. The first, attended only by brothers of the Tundra, has not been spoken of to outsiders. Errant is good at barriers after all (one of the handful of magical skills he has bothered to perfect). The second was with Scorch. She had assumed he would kill the king and take the throne with her son, but since the boy she named has yet to appear in the Tundra, Errant has made no actions regarding that conversation.

But this mare knows, and she shouldn’t – there is only one mouth she might have heard this from. He still holds his tongue

She replies to Hurricane’s taunt with something about complication and Errant flicks his dark tail against his haunches, his ears pricked forward to catch every word. He’d liked to know what is complicated. She says that Scorch has opened the Tundra up to steals, and while he does not implicitly trust what the Amazon says, the black stallion wonders if his sister had intended the lifting of the ban to last only until her son was on the throne. That felt uncomfortably like a threat to Errant.

“Will you?” He asks Mountain, his voice and face expressionless. Errant does not offer an alternative, though he certainly has them. It is Mountain’s responsibility as king to fight for the return of the boy. If Mountain does and loses, perhaps the Amazons will keep him. Perhaps they could trade Mountain for Nihlus – a loyal Amazon would surely see that as advancing the progress of her queen. Or, as Errant considers, they might use this Amazon’s mistakes against her. She’s come alone to an enemy kingdom, and as Errant stands between her and her path to her kingdom, the countdown to a steal by the Tundra has begun to tick.

e r r a n t

no grave can hold my body down
    i'll crawl home to her

Ooc: I didn’t have any intention to magically intervene since I knew the steal was valid; but thanks for the caution Smile
    [Image: leaanderrant_zpsqa4goyjv.gif]
    After attending the meeting held in the Jungle's den, it'd been made fairly clear that the Tundra might be his new home for a while. Scorch had made her plans for him clear enough, and most of the sisters had voted in this favor thus far. In either case, and whichever way the chips fell, Simeon had decided to take the trip to the Brotherhood, if only to make acquaintances. Upon arriving deep within the borders, the bay roan was pulsing with energy, and had been too anxious to wait for permission to enter. As he came upon the group, mismatched eyes- one green and the other brown- easily find the scarred black stallion he'd come foremost to meet. He recognizes him quickly, as his mother had described the man in vivid detail. He was not alone, however, though especially when he views Lagertha posturing toward a yearling colt, he was not swayed in joining them. 

In their meeting, this steel grey mare had openly spoken her distrust and disloyalty to their Khaleesi, which in the eyes of any of its sworn members, could be viewed as an act of itself against the Jungle. Sim himself could barely recognize this woman from the one who had saved his life when he'd been just a child in the face of a jungle cat- the one responsible for the scars riddling his hind end. Though he only has the memories of a scared and hurt youth, he remembers how she protected him and then upon their return to a safer place in the land, he faintly remembers how she had been rewarded (or not). Perhaps Lagertha was just in her hate for his mother, Simeon knows only of the one occurrence between the mares, and would have hoped the two could have worked through their differences by now. Alas, such is not always the case, and as he takes in the scene and the cause of the mare's presence here, he can't help but wonder what has happened to her to make her act this way. He finds it difficult to pass judgment on her so quickly, having only recently been reunited with her- and just met many of the other sisters as well.. Typical Simeon, always trying to see the best in others. It would seem now that he was a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place; the rock being his mother, and the hard place being Lagertha. His loyalty would always lay with Scorch, with all his family, but he also recognizes that he owes his life to this steely warrior woman. And so it goes that he at least owes her the benefit of the doubt here and now, rather than jumping to conclusions about her possible motives.

He closes in on the group, standing on its outer edge, and is in perfect time to hear Mountain (whom he recognizes fairly easy by his actions and words) and then Lagertha speak. It isn't Mountain's false words that stun him as much as the mare's. Her mention of things never spoken send him reeling internally, bicolored eyes glinting slightly the only subtle sign that he is confused. The bay roan shifts his weight to his right foreleg, which bears his own vine tattoo that snakes its way up to his breastplate where it blooms into a bright red flower with a touch of orange at its center. Flames surround the flower and reach toward each of his shoulder points. This, along with many other of his features, strongly suggest exactly who he is if anyone was to know Scorch or Hestoni.

As he watches, he can't help but think this was not quite what he was expecting of this visit. He takes a deep breath and turns his gaze to each of the stallions present, deciding to introduce himself once conversations have died down. "Greetings, I am Simeon of the Amazons and son of Scorch and Hestoni. Pleased to make your acquaintance. It seems I have come at a very interesting time." He turns his gaze to the mare with a nod that would only appear respectful to the others. "Lagertha." A short greeting, one in which he keeps any tone of doubt from entering his voice, although perhaps a bit of a question lies under the surface. He isn't sure exactly what she has planned, but isn't altogether sure as of yet if she means well or not. However, as he is currently interested in the potential turn of events, he withholds his desire to correct her words with the truth. He decides, at least for the moment, to see what she has planned. Especially in the face of Mountain and the choice she has given him. This should be good.. Is the thought that crosses his mind but does not say aloud. 

The one last thing he can't hold back on was a thought he wishes to direct to one man among them. He takes that moment to look into the eyes of Errant, seeking. Simeon is a stallion without any traits at all, however he knows this man has immeasurable capabilities and Scorch had told him bits of what he could do. Errant.. It is imperative you know that my mother has no part in this. She has told the sisters who you are and what she intends, although here and now is not quite what she had planned. I'm curious though, what this mare has in store. It is a long shot, but the young stallion hopes that the man will see the truth in his eyes and hear the thought meant only for him, if he listened. If not, he would be sure to pass the word along in far less public company. For now, he breaks his stare from Errant and watches them all, particularly Lagertha and Mountain.

[OOC: hope you all don't mind my joining in on the fun! <3]
    (Sorry this blows, I wanted to get this out before I left for the airport!)

"Your queen has kept much from you," I say, though it's not entirely a bluff. No, Scorch and I never discussed an alliance between the two of us - that is true. But her last time here we spoke at length, and a general treaty was agreed upon. One that she'd never mentioned breaking - not to me, anyways. I feel the start of an outburst bubble in my chest, but I am reminded of the way the men met it before. They are on my side, surely - firmly.

"I would love to challenge you for him," I say without a moments hesitation. "However, that is against Beqanna rules, so my hands are tied." My voice is smug, pleased with myself for knowing the rules inside and out. How hard can a battle be?

"It appears as though your steal has made our contract null and void, then, whether at your queen's knowledge or not. I simply will not put up with treachery from someone, especially one that cannot keep her own members informed." Not entirely a bluff...but a reach. The other stallion that approaches almost confirms my suspicion - this steal was not sanctioned.

But, it is valid, and its validity must be honored.

"It's such a shame your kingdom has sunk to such lows it must rip young children from their homes. As a kingdom, we have decided such actions are abhorrent." This is not a lie, was I not JUST reprimanded for this very action? They must stand by me then, if not for a show of strength, then surely because I am right.

I am always right.

"Now leave. Your presence disgusts me."
    I’ve been reading in National Geographic about the Natives of Papua New Guinea. They would go to war with a neighboring tribe, when they conquered them the winners would eat the vanquished tribe’s best warriors, their medicine man, and their chief. Do you think it's possible to take someone's power by eating their flesh? Or could you do it just by bathing in their blood?
    What Mountain doesn’t realize is that Lagertha and the rest of the Bloodriders (nevermind that she has since stepped down from the post) held Scorch to the truth and supposedly, every drop of it. Whether she delivered the truth or not is on her conscience, but Lagertha tried her damnedest to wring it out of her. So when she says that she is opening up the Tundra to diplomatic steals, Lagertha keeps her to her word.

Which means that this is a diplomatic steal, she just hasn’t gotten around to stating that yet. Although… considering how all riled up they are about the kid, maybe she’ll try for someone else? Bigger fish to fry and all that jazz.

“See, that’s where you’re wrong. I’m a Bloodrider -” (yes, she’s adept at lying too, isn’t that a fun game?!) “- which means I’m in Scorch’s inner circle. And the first thing she did with her reign is open up lands for diplomatic steals. Ask any of the Amazons. I’m just following the rules. This was a diplomatic steal, until you said those things. So… I’ll go for the other part of our agenda instead. I don’t want Nihlus. I want you. And here’s where Lagertha could use a stroke of good luck, ‘cause thus far she’s been running in the red. Scorch had mentioned that Errant was a magician, so she throws a thought to the wind, hoping it happens to blow his way. Don’t worry, I’m not going to hurt the poor idiot. Just scare him. Trust me. Help me. A tall request, but one she had to make.

You see, Lagertha may hate Scorch and she may not despise what she thinks is nepotism, but she’s no traitor to the Jungle. There is no slash across her breast.

Instead, she is leaping forward, commanding thorns to grow from her coat. One very, very, very large one grows straight from her chest, pointing outward and slightly up, so that it would hid at the base of another horse’s neck. She’s never actually tried this type of attack (or defense, and it should probably be used), but there’s a first time for everything. Ideally, Lagertha has the element of surprise and can move forward more quickly than Mountain can move backwards. But a little help when the brothers hear her announcement wouldn’t hurt either (if she should be so lucky). She tries to follow his movements, wherever that may be, and eventually maneuver him so that his back is to the border and she can easily push him out of the territory. However, Lagertha knows that without a little bit of help on the back end, or unless the stallion is as stupid as they say he is and makes a misstep, she may not succeed. Then again, that thorn (along with the myriad of other slightly smaller ones) is rather large and threatening. So maybe that will do the trick?

Or maybe Simeon will jump in and prove that she was right to save him all those years ago.

After all, stealing children is abhorrent. We wouldn’t want Lagertha to do something abhorrent and tarnish the Amazons’ good name, now would we?

lagertha

[oh geez. sorry. she has a mind of her own...]