• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Sapphire's Question
    [has been moved from trait genetics board]

(01-07-2016, 09:35 AM)~Sapphire~ Wrote: Okay, so.. I'm a little confused about this whole genetic traits thing (the language barrier doens't entirely help either). But if I would request this genetic trait thing for some of my ponies, what does this mean in the end?

I assume that the traits or the lack of won't change (my Haru currently doesn't have any traits for example and therefor I assume that that won't change, even though her parents have some), so what does it mean? Will it only be included in a different way to determine the baby's stats, if I would ever breed that character?

I love the idea of genetic traits, but the multiple ways of writing it down (TRAIT, TRAIT*, trait*, etc.) on top of the tag thing honestly confuses me. It's too much, I will always end up searching the trait genetic page again and again and in the end be still confused of what the results might mean.

If you request their trait genetics, that means you'll know for certain what traits they possess (or carry) and what their likelihood is of passing on these traits to their offspring. You do not have to learn the genetic code of your characters, but if you don't we won't be able to do more realistic inheritance of traits if and when you breed those characters.

No character will be given traits retroactively, so nothing about current characters will change. If you don't want to bother with the trait genetics of your horses that's totally fine; you don't have to. For those players that don't want to, we'll continue rolling for stats for foals the same way we always have Smile
    So if this gets through the testing phase, you'll always continue rolling dices on the old way next to the new genetic way? We won't be 'forced' into this new method once it gets through the testing pase?

I do like the idea, but it's just confusing.. I'm curious to how some of my characters will turn out, what genetics will come up for them, but I think I prefer the old breeding method.. So if I would request the genetics of some of my ponies, would I HAVE to use them once I breed them, or can I just request the genetics and breed in the old way? Like I said, would be fun to see how they come out Smile

And maybe I will understand it better too that way :p
    #English is not my native language.

Amorette - Gyps - Jinju - Kylin - Reeva
    All are only semi-active.
    For a few months (at least least) will continue using the traditional dice method - mostly because we won't have all character's genetic traits complete for some time, and also because each player will only get one "new" trait genetics baby each month - the rest will all be done in the traditional rolling way.

Other than copying and pasting the genetic code (once given) of each parent into the breeding post, there is nothing that players actually need to do and/or know. It's not any more or less complicated for the regular player than the traditional method is - all the work is done on the fairy/officer end.

Once you have the genetic trait code for your horse, you will need to include it in breeding posts, but if - for a while at least - you'd prefer it not be used, I cam't see that being a problem.

Requesting genetics and breeding in the "old way" aren't mutually exclusive ideas. Breeding will still remain exactly the same as it's always been - it's only the inheritance of traits that changes. So rather than rolling a single die to see what (if any) traits the foal will get, the officers will use a more complex system to determine the traits.
    I'll add on that this is just an idea we're trying out -- I think currently the idea is that a "genetic" breeding will work for awhile in a pilot stage to see if players (and fairies!) like it.
    so if you bred 5 horses, you'd pick one of those breedings for a more in depth genetic roll, the same way you get one gender pick.

though kahzie & whoever please correct me if i'm wrong, I'm a bit of a moron about the genetics stuff Smile
    I think I'll restrain from requesting my ponies genetic's for now, or maybe throw one or two in to see how they will turn out. I don't plan on breeding my own ponies for a while (or Kirstin must want to play a Brynmor x Roan baby), and I probably won't have the trait genetics from breeding ads ponies as everybody is limited to 5 right now, so yeah. And if I plan to breed one of my ponies I can always request their trait genetics later on, if the idea still stands.

Like I said, I do like, no love, the idea. It makes things more realistic I think, but you already included the genetic part in the old way too (3rd dice 1-30 if I'm correct). I will just see how things turn out from here and stalk a lot ^^.

Thanks for the answers Smile
    #English is not my native language.

Amorette - Gyps - Jinju - Kylin - Reeva
    All are only semi-active.