• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Trait questions?
    So I had a couple of questions floating in my brain, and I just wanted to get them out.

- On the subject of color changers: I have my first color changer pony out and about, and I kind of went ahead in her first pony and did the kinds of things that I now want to make sure I can do lol. What are the limits of color changing?

Like, for example, in the post I have her change her coat to look like the night sky (static, of course) to amuse her mother... can she do that? Or is that to complex? Can they do stuff like animals prints/patterns? Can they give themselves peacock colors, as well as the sort of iridescent sheen like a peacock? Or is the iridescence a step too far?

Or is it limited to basic horse patterns, but just whatever color?

I need to know how to rein in my fun :P

- On the subject of complex traits during breeding: So I was thinking about Pollock's Krampus physiology. I'm not sure what trait slot it occupies (2? 3?), but it does have a few components to it. 

So it got me wondering, is there any mechanism for incomplete inheritance when it comes to traits that have a few different components.

Krampus physiology =
    - Cloven hooves
    - Goat horns
    - Enhanced speed/agility/endurance
    - Fear induction

I'm thinking the answer is no, and all of these things are parts of one traits, chilling on one gene (especial with the new genetics), and they either come together or not at all. How do "special"/unique traits like that even work?

OR, would it make a bit of a difference to list those components, and maybe a girl with horns + Pollock = maybe some kind of horns? Or maybe a kid gets them cloven hooves; or fear induction, or sadness induction if it mutates, whatever. I don't how if this would even work with how you gals roll breeding/the new breeding with genetics, if it is even a thing that can happen.

I don't even know. But breeding and traits is now probably too complex to consider this crap. But it had me wondering.
    Horses with color changing can change into whatever color they'd like. it is limited to color itself though (i'm fairly positive, Cassi or Kortnee correct me if I'm wrong!), so there can't be any glowing or sparkly, or iridiescence, but if you wanted a rainbow zebra with black polka dots, that'd be totes fine.

As far as inheritance ,there's no "mechanism" for it that we have written out, but we left in a "traits are little bits of magic and can mutate in weird ways" bit. So a horse with magic and a horse with gills could have a baby that can shapeshift into a goldfish. With that in mind, I'd go ahead and include all parts of a trait (or I can get on making up our list of traits like i should Tongue ), to allow for incomplete inheritance just like the examples that you gave Smile

It'll help keep really rare traits actually rare if they can incompletely inherit them Smile
    That was what I was thinking re:unique traits, that separating their traits like that if possibly would help keep them rare while still giving some change of inheritance of something neat. So when I breed him I'll for sure include his pieces Tongue

But about color changers, I did notice that Jaime was candy cane striped and had a shiny mane/tail (I guess like tinsel because christmas) for the December season, and at least one of his babies (Merry) inherited the shiny hair. So just to make sure... what are the rules of shininess/iridescence/those kinds of surface effects in color changing ponies? It really is mostly so I know how to limit my fun when I write her, like I said. But also to know the limits when I breed her eventually.
    Shimmer/shine/etc are okay, as are some basic patterning. It's more a common sense thing -- if we see horses being bred every season with increasingly insane colors/patterns we might as them to tone it down, but generally it's pretty relaxed Smile