• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

my shadow tilts it's head at me - any

my shadow tilts its head at me,

spirits in the dark are waiting.

It had been terribly quiet around the Valley lately. Rhonan trekked (or really, popped) in and out of the field now and again, but without much luck. So today, he decides just to linger around the Valley. It is infinitely better with the firewall gone. The shadows from the trees are tall and proud, stretching across the Valley floor.

He pulls at them, freeing them from the ground, standing them up by their brown and green counterparts. Leaves them standing, but with the option to slip back to the ground, should the shadows grow tired of standing. He never commands, always asks.

He hasn’t seen anyone around, but he keeps moving, thinking he might run into someone eventually. Though who? He’s not even sure. Everyone seems to flit in and out of this kingdom so quickly, except him. Which honestly, is pretty laughable, given how fleeting is loyalty really is. He serves the Valley, yes, but simply because it seems like the best place. He’d leave, if there were a better option.

Yet here he is, one of the only constant figures around this joint. Eventually he gives up walking, deciding to work on creating shadow creatures. Rhynn uses mice, and while he won’t steal her signature animal, he figures it’s a good place to start practicing. He’s seen her do it a few time.

He calls the shadows to him, and they slip over the ground, growing and shaping themselves into little tiny mice that stare up at him expectantly. He grins, changing them from mice to snakes, stretching them thin and long. They slip along the ground this way, and he sends them off. They can go look for something for him to do, since he can’t find much of anything.

rhonan.

It was the silence that had driven the jaguar stallion crazy when he had first come out of his little hide-y hole to try and revive the valley and bring it a set of new leaders. And it was the silence that drove him out of it again. Whenever a place became too quiet it drove him crazy. The need for noise became almost desperate and the desire to escape it was extreme. Stepping out of the shadows of the Cave he had been hiding out in, he took a deep breath before turning his head towards the sound of rushing water. With heavy yet quiet steps the jaguar spotted stallion stepped carefully around the trees following the sounds of the river as they led him towards the borders of the dark kingdom.

For the last few weeks Demian had been having to get used to the fact that he would no longer be able to see. That the flames had entirely left him and would not be able to provide any sort of assistance. It had been excruciatingly painful, the way the flames had been stripped from his body with the falling of the wall. He had watched as the cosmic flames seeped into the ground, flowing back towards the center of the valley until the last bit of it flowed from his eyes causing a painful force to smack him in the chest and knock him to ground. The gift his rulership had brought him had been torn away from him by the valley and with it went his sight and in return there was a lingering sadness. Something inside of him that missed the warmth the fire brought to his inner core and it had taken the last few weeks for him to bury that feeling.

As he walked along the riverside the call of the Ravens darting through the trees sounded almost lazy as though they too were bored with the lack of activity among the trees. It seemed like he walked forever until he heard the shuffling of hooves among the fallen leaves and with a soft snort he came to a stop, his head tilting in the direction of the hoof beats. Nostrils flaring slightly he took a deep breath searching for scents carried by the wind that he may recognize. It took a few seconds but then it hit him. Rhonan. With a soft smirk, he finds himself turning towards the younger boy searching among the trees for him.

"Ronan," his voice is quiet as it rumbles softly between his lips. Had Demian still been able to see, had he not sacrificed his eyes for the wall, he would of noticed the snakes slithering silently towards him and then around his hooves but instead he continues to walk on, the darkness a permanence in his life in his own way, yet still much more different than the way it was permanent in golden boys. It took a bit of wandering but soon the older stallion was able to sense him and coming to a stop, he let his hooves shuffle in the leaves slightly in order to alert the boy he was close. "I should have figured you would be one to stick around even when most of us had disappeared." A smirk tilts at his graying lips as he tilts his head slightly. "Are you bored, Rhonan? Because I know I am." Rolling his shoulders slightly he shuffles his wings before speaking once more. "How about we change that."

The silence doesn’t necessarily bother him. He’s never been a creature of words or noise. He’s never been a creature that needs much of anything to be content. But it does see the irony in it, that’ he’s one of the only ones left in the otherwise empty kingdom. Though he wonders if he’d still be here, if the place were teaming with life. Could he survive an active kingdom? But then again, he doesn’t know where else to go, and he’s starting to like it here. The wolf pack that roams the end is pretty cool, for that matter. Sometimes he sends shadow wolves to play.

Somehow, it doesn’t surprise him that Demian is the one to find him. The once king may not have lasted long as king, but he was still something of a permanent figure in the Valley. Though it doesn’t take Rhonan long to figure out something’s changed. Demian’s eyes are gone. Rhonan, at this point, is visibily staring. Not that Demian would know (thank goodness), but not that being rude or Demian knowing would actually stop Rhonan from staring either. No one ever taught the shadow boy manners.

“Demian,” he says, his voice gruff as usual, but there’s a hint of friendly familiarity in there. About the most anyone is ever going to get out of Rhonan. “What happened to you?” Rhonan is blissfully unaware of the deal Demian had made to get that firewall in the first place. And even more unaware that his question is entirely rude. Again, he wouldn’t care if he knew anyway.

“Honestly, I’m pretty good at entertaining myself. But what’d you have in mind?” He says, wondering just what exactly Demian’s got up his sleeve. As much as Rhonan enjoys playing with the shadows, he doesn’t mind the idea of stirring up something else to do around this place.

rhonan.

you say I'm crazy, but I think I'm freaking amazing.
    Demian had yet to come across the wolf pack that now roamed the border though he had heard their cries echoing through the night the last week. Since they hadn't come for him during his time of healing he had come to realize they were not there to hunt and survive but for a much different purpose and the protection of the valley was a good enough explanation. He would have liked to see the creatures with their thick gray and black coats, beady eyes and snarling jaws. But for the rest of eternity he would be doing his best to remember what things looked like rather than actually see them for himself.

Which is what he did now, and with surprising ease as Rhonan's physical make up popped up into his mind. The palomino tobiano's pattern danced easily through him, his quiet nature wrapping the boy in a soft embrace. During his trip back to the past when he first met the boy, Demian didn't feel Rhonan's stare. Nor would he have much cared had he been able to see it. He knew that differences inevitably drew the eye of those around them and when another's stare could make the drawer of the eye uncomfortable, it wasn't something that would bother him. Curiosity was a similar trait he held and he never could find a way to chastise the rest for exactly that. Curiosity.

It was Rhonan's question that pulled him from his memories and made a smirk quirk at the corners of his lips the rudeness of the question being completely ignored. "Ah this?" his voice is gruff as he jokingly refers to his eyes. "I had to give them in exchange for the wall... It took an unexplainable amount of power and sacrifice to get it where it once stood... And so I gave them to the Valley. But it is not as great a sacrifice as it seems. Being blind isn't so bad." And it was true. To him at least The loss of his sight was the least of his worries when the loss of the fire within him was what caused him the most pain deep within.

The fire had burned his eyes straight from his skull, leaving the feeling of a permanent warmth filling his sockets. Always a reminder of the actions once made. And forever a way to miss the warmth that had once filled him all the way to his soul.For a moment he stands there, wings shuffling slightly at his sides in thought before turning his head once more towards Rhonan. His next statement is amusing as Demian had always known how the stallion was a type of loner that could easily find his own joys, usually being those that didn't involve anyone else. Yet he had always hoped the young one would make a place for himself in the Valley and amongst the rest. Even if he wasn't particularly fond of socialization.

The fact he hadn't disappeared was pleasing and somewhat of a relief. His smirk slowly turned into an amused smile. "I have always known you were. But I figured you may like some company every now and then." With a soft chuckle the stallion finds himself rolling his shoulders in a slight shrug. "I say we pick things up around here. I had thought my successors would have continued my work, but it seems as though they have been unable to do so. And the lack of activity around here is growing quiet... Worrisome... Especially with the growing rumors of the coming war."

Biting his lip slightly he continues to think. "We need to do something Rhonan. Make our mark. Remind the rest we are still not one to be reckoned with. We must also avoid the rest from coming in and stealing our home." His words are quiet but filled with a tone of strenghth. "I was wondering... About this war... Should we try and build our numbers while promising to fight with the Chamber, maybe also recruiting the herds surrounding our kingdom? Or should we do something else... Like make our kingdom a silent hide in a sense for the Chambers members or even the whole of beqannas residents who cannot fight. Who will not fight..."

His voice trails off in thought before suddenly lifting his head a bit higher. "And what should be done of Gallows and Fennick? Fennick occasionally is spotted but Gallows has disappeared entirely. We cannot allow the Valley to go without consistent leadership." It is here he finally allows himself to grow quiet in order for Rhonan to be able to take it all in. He knows his suggestions are weak at best, yet it had been so long since he had allowed his mind to work at a plan. Hopefully though Rhonan would ignore that fact and help him to come up with something better then the simple basics he had suggested.

demian

carnage x adalind

@[Rhonan]

He honestly doesn’t except Demian’s answer. If he were any other horse, he might be taken aback. If he were fully aware of empathy, he might feel guilty for being one of voices clambering to take the wall down. But at it stands, he is still very much Rhonan, and he doesn’t feel all that bad about it. Demian had made his bed, and now he had to lay in it. It’s not Rhonan’s fault the stallion never asked anyone else what they thought of it, before he sold his sight.

But still, he is not entirely heartless. “If you want to experiment someday, maybe I can shape your darkness. Maybe you can see, in a way. Though maybe not, but we could try.” It is quite the speech from the gold and white boy with his blanket of shadows. And it is the closest to kindness he could get. It would never be sight, and it would never last, but he might be able to create images out of the darkness. Maybe. He’s never tried to mess with something that wasn’t a shadow on the ground.

“I’ve been in the field. Slim pickings at best, and those I find end up disappearing like the rest.” He’s about to roll his eyes and then realizes Demian’s won’t notice. He does it anyway, mostly for his own benefit. “I don’t think this is a kingdom that wants to hide.” There was a reason they didn’t like the firewall, after all. They didn’t want to cower behind some flaming wall. “And the wolves will handle most intruders well enough.”

Though in the end, everyone wanted Straia’s head on a pike, not any of the Valley members. The Valley could help and end up largely unscathed, he suspected, besides whatever damage the warriors took. “I would like to fight. But I’ll go with or without the sanction of this kingdom, so there’s that. But then again, I’ve heard war brings everyone out of the woodwork.” He wouldn’t know, because he’s never lived through one. But he’s been to the end of the world, and he knows something about hell. War doesn’t scare him, and he believes that at least some will come to the aide of this place.

“As for Gallows and Fennick, you could overthrow them, and then what? There’s no one to take their place, currently. Unless you want your crown back.” And of course, there’s Rhonan, but that thought never even crosses the boy’s mind. Him, a King? It’s an impossible thought. The fact that he’s standing here discussing the fate of a kingdom is laughable enough. Rhonan doesn’t pay that much attention to politics. Doesn’t care if someone burns this kingdom to the ground (he can live in the ash). Doesn’t really care about much. At least, he doesn’t seem to, but he’s possibly not giving himself nearly enough credit.

rhonan.