• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

DESOLATION COMES UPON THE SKY - Yael, Rhy, Camrynn, Pevensie.

WATCH THE FLAMES CLIMB HIGH INTO THE NIGHT

Rhy comments quietly on Scorch’s mention of her childhood, though it sounds incredibly like a question dances just behind that simple phrase. The Khaleesi smiles wryly. ”When we get back, I’ll tell you all about it, if you’d like.” And she means to do just that. Her ambassador has always been someone she could trust, ever since Simeon’s birth and the day she found out that Rhy is Kagerou’s granddaughter. There’s always been a spark between them – pun – and Scorch genuinely wants to grow that spark into a lightning storm. But alas, duty calls.

Scorch cannot read minds. Had she known Yael’s thoughts, she would have been stunned. Not simply because wishing for a broken alliance between two of the most powerful kingdoms would be chaotic, but because Scorch assumed that the golden woman valued the alliance and trusted Scorch and the sisterhood to do the same. With no supernatural mental powers, however, Scorch simply surges on and does the exact opposite of what the golden rose seems to be wanting.

”We come to offer you the Jungle’s condolences, for Vanquish was a great king and man. Furthermore, we come to reaffirm our alliance regardless of the newly chosen ruler. We trust you to put someone of worth on the throne.” Her thoughts flicker momentarily to little Cammie, wondering if in fact she had gone and done exactly what Katriel had at her supposed age. But it truly does not matter – the sisterhood have made their chose. ”We will stand united with the Deserts first and foremost, though the Jungle has branched out in other areas, too.”

((I’m breaking the timeline a bit here, sorreh!)) Eyeing the horizon for oncoming horses, Scorch falls silent for some time, allowing Rhy to add anything else that she may have forgotten. Her words are the united voices of her sisters, but she is no god. Scorch trusts her ambassador to cover what she has not. When all has been said, Scorch’s dragon eyes return to Yael’s. ”Tell me, has the new ruler been chosen?”

Scorch

Khaleesi of the Amazon Jungle

Ooc – Im real sorry for the delay. I had to wait for everyone to vote on stuff AND THEY DONE VOTED//OTHER STUFFZ HAPPENED so here’s my reply and I’m sorry that it’s so so so late *cries* But yeah. I WOULD LOVE YOU ALL IF YOU WANTED TO REPLY SINCE THE TIMELINE ISNT REAAAALLY MESSED.
    [Image: scorch2.png]
    We do what we must,
    Because we can.

Scorch may be no god, no mind reader, just a queen, but luckily (or perhaps unluckily) Camrynn has now got two of those particular boxes checked. And with the power of magic and the way she uses it, it would be easy to think she's playing god.

She knows that this moment of reckoning will come, and she's given a lot of thought as far as how to handle it. She's surprisingly reluctant to betray Scorch; she genuinely likes the woman. But she's made a promise to the gods of the Deserts, sworn an oath that if she ever disobeys them, they'll take her magic. And god knows, she cares a whole lot more about oaths made on her magic than she does about virtually anything else in the world.

She is the first to approach other than Yael, and for that she is grateful. It will give her time to do what must be done before the rest of them arrive. There are steps that must be taken, even before Pevensie would get there. Remembering her promise to Yael, she appears in her true form, a black mare, young but no baby.

The first step is to look contrite, look every inch of the youth and inexperience she doesn't have. And as she crests the dune toward them, she accomplishes that goal perfectly. They will no doubt notice the gold crook and flail that mark her chest, standing out so much that they are almost radiant in the Deserts sun.

Her eyes are deserts-gold, but she doesn't meet Scorch's gaze. Only once she is close, almost close enough to touch, does the apparently-yearling speak. "It's me," she says, her voice almost nothing but breath. She does not look up from the sands. "Me and Pevensie."

"But I had to swear…" she looks to Scorch now, her eyes deep with sadness. "I must serve the Deserts first and foremost, with my whole heart, or they may destroy everything that I hold dear." She is so impossibly convincing, truly the heartbroken child, the girl who tried to do her best and has fallen. And it's actually not a lie; she had sworn, and she had sworn on what is most dear to her. That just happens to be her magic. With that on the line, she doesn't play games. "I didn't know what to do, so I said yes." She looks down at the sand again. "I hope I did right."

And with the most perfectly crafted sorrow in her eyes, she backs up several steps, standing alongside Yael and waiting for Pevensie.

C A M R Y N N
    Why? Because I can

Image copyright MariannaInsomnia
    Well. What comes out of Scorch’s mouth is not quite what she expected, knowing her intention of choosing between the Valley and the Desert. To even fathom such a thing… kind of blew Yael’s mind. She smiles whehn Camrynn takes the lead, waiting for her to finish whatever business she may have between herself and former foster-mother. It must come as quite the surprise, she thinks. Even she hadn't caught it at first... though grief and weariness had been her distraction. She was thoroughly relieved that Camrynn had dropped the character. It was... a show of good faith that she had chosen correctly. And that meant the world To Yael.

“As you can see, ze floor now belongs to Pevensie and Camrynn. I am merely xere as ze current Ambassador… zough t’at vill soon change as vell. A power xigher t’an I made xer svear… t’ough I vould xaf rekired ze same. Ladies, eet xas been a pleasure to be allied vit you. I xope our good relations continue.” And then Yael steps back, no longer the face of the Desert, no longer its voice, no longer its sole magical protector.

They were twice as powerful now.

Yael, guardian of the desert
    The vanguard arrives. Pevensie spies the gathering from atop a dune at first, just wandering past. From this vantage point, she can see the unmistakable golden sheen of Yael, the black of Camrynn. However, it is Scorch that stands out by far the most. Pevensie wonders for a moment if the fire-mare would take her daughter back, try to steal her (as she has been rather oblivious to the whole scenario thus far. She curls her lip bitterly, then advances down the dune to join the rest of her kingdom part. She has no doubt that her negotiation and ambassadorial skills will flood right back to her, she'd always been good at that job.

"What brings you so far from the Jungle, Scorch?" she smiles, polite and contrite. Camrynn looks as though she's been brayed, Yael looks not at all impressed. Pevensie gets the feeling that she has been in more comfortable situations before, though things haven't turned hugely awkward just quite yet. It all just gives off a difficult vibe.

"Yes, Camrynn and I have taken charge of the Deserts, though I dare say that Yael will keep a close eye over preceding and she has my full confidence to do so," she says, looking back to Yael, feeling slightly sorrowful that she has stepped back. Pevensie imagines in must be difficult. God knows it was difficult for her to abandon the Falls', realise that there was nothing left for her there, where her powers would not be accepted. She sighs, turning back to face Scorch head-on. There's something about the fire-tattoo'd mare that she doesn't trust. Something deeply unsettling in the pit of her stomach. It's almost as though the Jungle-Queen were goring her eyes into the slash across her chest, the slash she gained the day she chose to step away from the Amazons. After years of service, would still be viewed as a traitor. And probably always will now.

"Where does our alliance stand?" she asks, eyeing her rival Queen closely. Would Scorch want to ally with a Jungle traitor? Albeit, the most harmless Jungle traitor to date. 

Camrynn approaches first, larger than she was, and with a new tattoo, too. Suspicion rises from within Scorch the moment she realizes what the tattoos are; Desert heirlooms. While this certainly is magnificent, it is no Jungle flower. It is no Sun and Moon, it is no Universe. Scorch’s eyes narrow, the different emotions within her colliding. Cammie is like a daughter to her, and yet… Well, Scorch may not be a mind reader, but if the new Deserts Queen hasn’t revealed her tattoos yet, then perhaps she never will.

The young girl begins murmuring to Scorch, eyes downcast. Scorch gazes down at her cryptically, eyes a cool steel-blue. She keeps her lips pressed firmly together, forcing the girl to pause awkwardly and continue on when Scorch has nothing to say. Cammie speaks like a true child, one that everyone could love: except Scorch. Scorch has raised five children, and each of them have been nothing like this. Something is dreadfully wrong here; unfortunately, she only begins realizing it now.

”We will see whether or not you did right.” Her voice is even, if not spoken through clenched jaws. Yael speaks quietly to the group before stepping back, ever the voice of reason. A pity, Scorch could have used someone to criticize Cammie with. Alas, she manages to speak a few easy words to the woman, a woman whom she might almost call friend. ”Thank you, Yael. I hope that we will have dealings together in the future.”

Before Scorch manages to say the rest of the phrase (“you are a fair soul,” that is), the second Queen arrives. Anger stabs in Scorch’s stomach; to think that if Cammie takes one false step, that the Deserts will be ruled by two traitors, and surely their good graces shall never again exist in Scorch’s era. But let us not think of such things for the moment; Pevensie is speaking.

”As I have just said, the Jungle wishes to continue our alliance. We’ve had each other’s backs for thirteen years now.” Thirteen years, a third of her entire life. Her teeth grind together; it would be horrendous to break such an alliance now. She glances to Rhy before continuing in a hard voice. ”But I think it crucial that our kingdoms be sister-kingdoms. Then, and only then, will Cammie be allowed to keep her both of her oathes.” A very poorly mocked look of shock comes over her. ”Oh, I’m sorry if she has not told you yet, but Cammie here has more than one tattoo to show off.” Her voice is slightly bitter, but then again, she has every damn right to be.

Rolling her powerful shoulders, Scorch glances between Queen, Guardian, and Queen. ”If you choose to forsake the Amazon’s offer – for we are in complete unison to ally with you instead of the Valley – then Cammie will lose her tattoos, and the Deserts will be ruled by two turn-cloaks.” Instead of explaining the implications of such a situation, Scorch allows them all to fidget in their skin and think up an answer. For now, she stands at her full height, posture flawless, jaw tight, eyes hard. This is the way of Amazons – at least, this is the way of Queens. Or at least, this is the way of ancient Queen Echion and her vast progeny.

Scorch

He has been lurking, as is his custom, and the little diplomatic meeting has piqued his interest. Not so much the diplomatic side (no, he is far too acidic and honest to be a diplomat) but he likes to remind people their place in the world, so to speak. This Scorch interested him, she knew of Vanquish although everybody did. The name brings the familir pang and anger to his chest. He suppresses it.

He stands at the edges, not bothering to introduce himself (he's a nobody, anyway). They blather on about relations and the kingdom. He listens with half an ear, not particularly paying attention until Scorch mentions that both Pevensie and Cammie are turncloaks.

The way she says it makes it sound like it's a big deal - perhaps even a threat - and the spotted once-General does not take very kindly to his home, his rulers or his safety being threatened.

"You have no power here," he says lowly, his eyes - so reminiscent of Nocturnal's (it's obvious who he is related to, if they had ever seen her) - focusing on hers. He inherited a good deal more than her eyes, though. "Don't come here with your threats of revealing apparent traitors to us all. Don't forget who you are here." he snorts in derision.

"We don't care where they came from. Only who they are now." he pauses and looks to both Cammie and Pevensie. "I will stand behind you both as fiercely as I stood behind Vanquish. I vowed to protect the Deserts, and you have not done her an iota of harm. I assume the other members will also feel the same."

Besides, it's not like it would be the first time a 'traitorous', shame-marked ex-Amazon is ruling another kingdom.
    Yael is a fair soul; she give second chances and sometimes even thirds (for most - some will never get them, but those have done her family personal harm), she is willing to see the good where others might see the bad, and she is understanding of mortal nature.

She understands why Scorch is upset; she has lost someone she thought she could count on, someone she might have been growing to love like a daughter. She might even have revealed secrets to Camrynn that are sensitive, secrets she would not have otherwise revealed. Scorch feels betrayed. However, given the recent revelations in the Kingdom meeting, the little golden mare thinks her anger-cum-disappointment might be for a different reason than what she states. However, Scorch does not know the transparency with which Camrynn began her reign. She does not know that they are divided on how to deal with such treachery from an ally.

The Ambassador in Yael wants to smooth things over; the ex-Queen and proud Desert woman wants to turn into a dragon and light the fiery woman up with her own tattoos.

So before anyone else can jump in, Yael starts to intervene, playing the part with a practiced ease. She steps forward again, smiling ever so faintly. “T’ank you for your support, Romek. Xe ees right, you know -” she turns her head towards Scorch - “And ze xole keengdom feels zat vay. T’ey xaf been chosen by ze Desert mageec as ze most apt and able candeedates. T’ey xaf our full support. I understand vhy you ahr upset, Scorch... but deed you not send Camrynn xere yourself? Vhat deed you t’ink vould xappen? Zat I could not see t’rough eet? Do you not conseeder eet a betrayal to our alliance zat you vanted to send somoene xoo vas loyal to you first, and us second?” Her voice rises slightly, but there is no tension in her body. She has no need to posture herself, to try and make herself bigger. The next bit is addressed primarily to the Amazonian Queen, but also partly to Rhy (she feels sorry for her fellow Ambassador, caught up in the middle of this), for losing the alliance would have some implications for both sides. “So now I vill ask you vhat your proposal ees for seester keengdoms. Make eet good. And fair. For I t’ink I need not remind you t’at ze Desert now xas two mageecians and ve are as ekally strong… I do not vant to see our relationsheep fall apart, but eef you cannot accept anyt’ing else, t’en eet vill be on your xead, not ours.”

There is as much a threat in Yael’s speech as there was in Scorch’s, and perhaps a rare display of the likes that no one but Van and Noct have ever seen. She briefly wonders if she overstepped the boundaries of Ambassador, if she was stepping on Camrynn’s and Pevensie’s toes with that whole little thing… but then she thinks that a show of support is exactly what the two of them needed. Not that they couldn’t stand up for themselves, but instead let the first diplomatic foray set the tone for the rest of B’kanna: the Desert is behind their new Queens one hundred and ten percent.

They are Yael-approved. To insult them is to insult her magic and her mental skills, which simply will not do.

Also, Yael doesn’t fidget in public.  

Yael, guardian of the desert
    Maybe it's the fire, or just her fiery nature, but Pevensie has always found it difficult to get along with Scorch. She waits patiently, allowing the fire-mare to speak freely, keeping her lips sealed tightly whilst it all unfolded before her. The buckskin mare looks down at the long-faded tattoo signifying her betrayal of the Jungle. However, betrayal is such a strong word - Pevensie was never built to be tied down to once place, to live just the one life through. Besides, she had never had the same affiliation with the 'cult' of Jungle as most of the other mares had desired - she had wanted a home. She had done them great service in her time there, recruited many members, done her duty to the kingdom. Just as she had done in her time in the Falls' and the Deserts, yet the stinking squalor of the Jungle heat could never have been enough to hold the sun-mare in the oppressive chasm of the trees above. Yes, she had broken her oath, but it had been an oath she took reluctantly, and it had been forsaken through desire, not malice.

Scorch wouldn't see it that way though. She's far more of a black is black, white is white sort of creature. In fact, she's rather glad to have Romek turn up in their support, to have Yael and Cammie with their magic beside her. Truely there is nothing Scorch can do except issue idol threats, for it is not within her power (or indeed many of horses in Beqanna's power) to fight off such a powerful few horses. Of course, Pevensie not included in that statement.

Yael speaks wisely, filled with diplomatic splendour from almost as many years practice and Pevensie herself as known. She is articulate and perhaps even fairer than the buckskin mare would have been, had she been allowed to speak first. Yet, the little mare is not beyond forgiveness. She could try to find a place for the Amazons as an ally, but it sits against the grain to have to watch your friends so closely, being unaware of their true nature.

"Scorch, I admire your loyalty - for that much I don't doubt for a second. You are a very loyal mare. However, your loyalties lie entirely with the interests of your kingdom, which from an alliance point of view is not ideal. I grew up in a kingdom ruled by the Amazons which was not theirs to take - I would advise you, as your ally, not to push me on this point. As long as it is within my power to prevent it, which now it is, I won't tolerate it happening again," she warns, eyes level and mighty despite her sort stature. Well, Pevensie can't fight very well, she isn't very intimidating (despite all the scars that happen to appear from random scenarios), but she would hold her ground on this point.

Truth be told, if Scorch decided to try and take the Valley or the Chamber, the little Queen wouldn't bat an eyelid. If her attentions turned to the Falls' - to chain her beautiful waterfall-home to the putrid heat of the Jungle, the sun-mare would find a way to stop it. Better though to make her opinions known now, than to let Scorch live under any illusions.

"And just so you know, I served the Jungle well before you had even been born. I just did not sign up for the cult that your kingdom has become. Don't be so eager to cast your judgements," she says, though there is no real bad feeling behind it. Just a sadness that her time in her tropical home went unnoticed, that her achievements had meant nothing the moment she walked over the border and did not come back.
    so you wanna play with magic?
    Yael speaks, Pevensie arrives, and Camrynn is quiet. She appears the picture of indifferent calm, almost like a child who has been scolded and made to sit in time out. But she's actually listening with great interest (and with more than just her ears) to see how Scorch is going to play her hand.

And luckily for her, Scorch decides to play right as she'd hoped.

She keeps a smile from her face as Scorch dramatically 'reveals' her tattoos. Or would have done so, had Camrynn not already mentioned that the Amazons had sent her to the entire kingdom. It's no secret, none at all. She finds it interesting how Scorch assumes that being Amazonian turn-cloaks (or not) matters in the slightest to the Deserts. With two magicians in their borders, and horses with many other powers besides, could she think that an Amazonian invasion would work?

As if on cue, Romek melts into the conversation and speaks up to defend them. Camrynn fights the urge to smile, her eyes deserts-gold as she watches. "Thank you, Romek." she says quietly. And then Yael is speaking, and Camrynn knows that her unlikely respect for the golden woman is not misplaced. She listens with the same blank interest, keeping a smile from playing at her lips. Pevensie speaks next, her words wise, but Camrynn can feel the intentions behind them, the growing distrust of the Amazons. Camrynn doesn't care about the Amazons per se; her sole interest in all of these negotiations is the well-being of the Deserts.

And when they all fall silent, Camrynn speaks. "My background isn't secret. In fact, the first thing I did when I called a kingdom meeting right after I was crowned was to tell everyone exactly how I came to be here." her eyes are fixed on Scorch, her tones still quiet, but with a current of calm authority. "It's always best to be completely honest with every resident of one's kingdom." her eyes are riveted on Scorch's. "I learned that from you." Whether she's speaking ironically, saying that Scorch hides things, or whether she means it honestly is entirely unclear. "As for the competition itself, it's just not possible to fool magicians, and it's even less possible to fool the ancient gods of the Deserts, who tested me and picked me and Pevensie for the crown." she speaks matter-of-factly. "Magicians have this way of being all-knowing, and of always holding all the cards. They're just impossible to deceive, and impossible to outmaneuver." Her voice is impossibly delicate, no hint of anger or aggression. Considered in light of Yael and Pevensie's words, her statement alone would be threat enough.

"It's like I said." she pauses for a moment. "I have sworn an oath to protect the Deserts at all costs, on pain of losing that which is most dear to me." If she steps against the Deserts, the gods have the power to strip her of her magic. Her oath binds her in a way she has never been bound, but she finds herself oddly accepting of the pressure.

"We will hear your proposal, but ultimately, the decision is not ours alone." The timidity is gone from her voice now. She is every bit the queen she had been underneath the ground, every bit strength and calm confidence. Ironic that she's the one least on edge out of all in this conversation. "This is a decision that all members of the Deserts will help make." she pauses again. "And actually, that conversation has already begun. They're currently considering the facts we have, but we will happily share any details that you propose." A quick pause. "And any other details of this meeting that might help them make their decisions." she says with a small smile.

Details like threats. Details like attempts to create rifts by revealing Camrynn's background. Details like managing to actually make Yael AND Pevensie angry. Details like those.

"So Scorch, what do the Amazons offer the Deserts?" her voice is impossibly diplomatic, impossibly calm, no hint of irony, just iron strength.
    CAMRYNN
    co-queen of the deserts, magical, mother of badassery

lolwut, Cam as the calmest voice in the conversation? o.O

A stallion who seems to think himself of importance suddenly arrives. Scorch had noticed him of course – or at least she thinks she had, though why he hasn’t made himself useful until an hour into the conversation. Whatever the matter, Scorch doesn’t care to find out his intentions or really anything about him. This man is nobody to her – she’s never met him, she’s never heard of him, and he hasn’t given his name. But it would do no good to be impolite. Not after she’s been so good, and not even one shock from Rhy yet.

”I know exactly who I am here,” She snarls unexpectedly, painful memories swarming her mind for both the magicians to pluck. She was supposed to be a princess here, and maybe a queen someday too. This land was by blood, hers. But she’d been lead down a different path, and she’s glad. So don’t go telling her who she is and is not, and do not go blaming her fort things you will never understand.

Leaning back, Scorch soothes her voice, soothes her mind, and shuts out the emotion just as she has always done. ”But your words have merit. These women will be great queens and will upraise the Deserts, but an oath is an oath. I know they know this, as they have taken oaths to the Deserts and the Jungle – so just remember that the past has a fancy way of repeating itself.”

If Yael had been anyone else, Scorch’s blood would have boiled at her words. But the golden guardian is so much more than just someone she’s met, she’s a woman who has lead a kingdom which has been allied with the Jungle for a decade. No matter how unfeeling the fire-woman seems, Scorch feels most deeply. Do not question this.

”In honour of the alliance which I – on behalf of the sisterhood – am fighting for, I will answer you fully. When I sent Camrynn, she was a completely different horse. A filly who managed to snare my affections.” The way she speaks, as though her words must travel through a brick wall before forming on her tongue, it is evident that any such affections no longer exist. ”I knew that you would see through it, Yael. But I had hoped that you would also see where I was and am coming from – not an angle of power, but of unison.”

”My proposal, at its clearest, is this: an alliance founded on a decade of goodwill made even stronger by Pevensie, a solely Desert monarch, myself, a solely Amazonian monarch, with Camrynn as the binding tie. A Desert-Amazon. The Amazons would offer the bulk of our strength in times of trial for the Deserts, and we would expect the same from you. We would offer complete honesty, in exchange for complete honesty. In this way, we would make decisions best for the both of us. As I said, I am seeking a united front which will raise both of our kingdom’s strength.” She chuckles. ”And while the Jungle can only claim to having one very come-and-go magician, I promise you that our lack of such members will not make us a weak link.” Never doubt the ferocity of the ‘Zons.

Scorch listens aptly to Pevensie, her facial features a practiced blank-slate. While the queen speaks some truth, other words she speaks happens to rub Scorch’s hypothetical fur the wrong way. Alas, it may as well be that her said fur is permanently rubbed the wrong way. When she speaks again, it is calmly and with authority, but considering the gathering, such a tone probably belongs to each of them.

”In case you hadn’t heard, a subkingdom is the exact opposite of what I want from the Deserts. And I will also remind you that the Jungle has not taken a subkingdom for more than the last thirty years, since Echion’s reign. That’s a long time to hold grudges, for I tell you again in earnest, the Jungle is not looking to conquer anything or anyone.”

”Thank you for your own casting of judgements upon the Jungle, Pevensie. I agree that you served well before my time, and that was a very, very long time ago. You do not know anything of our current workings as you’ve chosen to leave us, so please refrain from placing insulting, ignorant stigma’s upon us. ” The Jungle is no cult. Fuck anyone who says that. The sisterhood is Scorch’s family, and it could have been Pevensie’s and Camrynn’s too, but the Jungle will wheedle out the weaklings. No, she’s not just saying that to be an asshole. It pains her to know this as fact – she has twin daughters who have the mark of banishment, too. And Scorch still loves him – but that’s the thing about blood. It’s binding.

Judge her all you want. Scorch will never be what you stereotype her to be.

Finally, Camrynn’s calming speech comes to the group. Scorch replies in kind, her voice continuously strong, stoic. For once, she is not the volcanic queen, but the dormant volcano queen. ”Thank you for your explanations, Camrynn. Neither you nor I --- no, actually, only I had no hopes of knowing what to expect in the competition.” Her eyes crackle slightly, but her voice is even. ”And I must say that I find your statement about honesty to be some newfound virtue of yours, Cammie.

”I have spoken my part. It is now up to the Deserts to decide where their loyalties lie – the sisterhood has absolutely no reservations. Every single member has voted on supporting you, on supporting us.”

Let that stew in their pots.

Scorch

Resound, just in case you hadn’t realized, Pevensie actually doesn’t have any remnant of her Jungle tattoo, only the slash, just so you know Smile I can bring up the thingy which is said at initiation if you want to read it and its explanation Smile