• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Trait Question
    So, I was thumbing through @[Salem] 's genetic requesting threads and saw that there was a question about the difference between self-manipulation and shape-shifting, and naturally this sparked my interest so I looked up both (and I when I say that, I mean I found them on the superpower wiki site) and found that there's some details that help to make the two different.

1.) According to this link, self-manipulators can create new appendages, remove them, and if they practice/master their trait they can gain immortality from re-shaping their molecular structure.

2.) Shapeshifting I don't think allows this ... at first. You can re-shape your own body, but only with what you're given. This link has shapeshifters "potentially" being able to change down to the cellular level, with the added benefits of self-manipulation (i.e. regrowing limbs) if they master their trait.

So, I guess I'm asking if this is the difference between the two? One is a bit more in-depth than the other? Idk.
    I always thought of shapeshifters on here being able to shift into non-mythical creatures or maybe a rock or something but I've never had a horse that has self-manipulation so I don't want to write a post up one day that goes crazy overboard. So I'm asking your thoughts about this.
    -Sporadic-
    Apothica • Tiberios
    I went back into the Realms of Beqanna and found Kahzie's definition from a few years back that I still wholeheartedly agree with:

Single Animal Shifting: the ability to shift into one type of animal (eg: wolf, cat, bird). Due to one’s familiarity with this single form, horses with this trait can also change portions of their body into their animal without altering the rest of their body (eg: wolf nose, feline tail, bird wings).

Multi-Animal Shapeshifting (also called Shapeshifting): the ability to shift into any real, non-extinct animal. The whole body must be shifted at once, since multiple forms makes it harder to hold onto a single aspect of any one creature without entirely shifting.

Self-manipulation: the ability to change one’s body shape, size, gender, color, and wings/horn appearance. Also includes the ability to change into any real animal, any extinct animal, and any mythical creature with an equine base (unicorn, pegasus, hippocampus, hippogriff, etc), as well as change portions of their body into those animals.

Limitless Self-Manipulation: the ability to change one’s body shape, size, color, gender, and wings/horn appearance. Also includes the ability to change into any real animal, any extinct animal, and any mythical creature with an equine base (unicorn, pegasus, hippocampus, hippogriff, etc), as well as change portions of their body into those animals. Also includes the ability to turn (part of whole) into an inanimate object, such as a rock or a cloud.

Equus Mutatio: A separate species that lacks the traditional equine form of a horse – when stripped of the ability to shift this animal would die, unlike other shifters that would revert to their physical equine bodies. This includes the ability to change one’s body shape, size, gender, color, and wings/horn appearance. Also includes the ability to change into any real animal, any extinct animal, and any mythical creature, as well as change portions of their body into those animals.
    Just tacking on, Equus Mutatio can change partly or completely into inanimate objects as well. Smile
    Ahhhh thank you Cassi <3 I was wondering if that post was still floating around out there!
    Smile Thank you!
    -Sporadic-
    Apothica • Tiberios