• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

DESOLATION COMES UPON THE SKY - ea only

WATCH THE FLAMES CLIMB HIGH INTO THE NIGHT

Her training starts early, though Scorch hadn't the heart to start when she said she would (two days after birth, counting the first day of life). Instead, she waits until her precocious little daughter grows more into her body. A month, to be exact. A month of showing her the ropes of the Jungle, of allowing her to leave her side as she is prone to doing, a month of doting on Ea the way she never has with the others. Its unfair, she knows. Unfair mostly to Noori and Kaida, and to Rain, but Rain will always be left behind where the others are raised up.

The Jungle's canopy allows flickering light to pierce their otherwise dark surroundings. Seeing as the light and dark mix, it is a perfect opportunity. Settling herself between two ancient sequoia trees which offer this light-and-dark environment without crowding around her, the volcanic queen raises her head and nickers for her daughter. When the silverling arrives, Scorch smiles, extending her neck to bump her nose against the filly's roan shoulder before straightening.

"Hello. Today marks the first day of your training, whether you think you need it or not." She has seen the little eye rolls and heavy sighs, though her saintly little girl has never outright complained about such things. "Settle yourself in, for I have quite a tale to spin. A tale of your heritage, if you will." Allowing the girl to do just that, whether she moves to lay down or does not move at all, Scorch gathers her thoughts. It's been a long while since she's told this all in one go.

"Thirty odd years ago, I, Crito, and Alecto were born to the Desert queen Katriel and the Tundra king Arcteryx. Due to the unexpected labor, we were born while Katriel was on the cusp of the Jungle for a diplomatic meeting. For a brief period of time, Katriel succumbed to exhaustion. During this time, Echion - queen of the Jungle - brought her own children - freshly born - to the very spot. Wishing a better life upon her own twins, she switched Rharian and Tivona with myself and Crito. Thus, I grew up as a Jungle princess, completely oblivious to how my life could have been if my faux-mother hadn't schemed to change it.

"This makes you quite very royal, my dear, though I tell you this because it is good to know your heritage. Beyond that, you have four siblings." Scorch hasn't the heart to tell her baby girl about Rain, though she's certain that it would not phase her. "Noori and Kaida, the eldest and twins, who do not much like me or the Jungle, so if you wish to meet them, look elsewhere." A lighter tone enters her voice as she explains her sons. "And Simeon and Shahrizai, though they are not twins. Simeon is in the Tundra, and Shahrizai could be anywhere. I'm certain that they'd love to meet you, Ea."

Eyeing Ea smilelessly, Scorch wonders if perhaps this will be too much for her young mind to take in. Scorch doubts it - Ea truly does seem an adult upon most days - but inquires none the less. "Have you any questions before we begin your physical training?" Scorch realizes that she hasn't quite explained why her daughter needs any such training, but figures that Ea will be so inquisitive as to ask this question for herself.

Scorch

Khaleesi of the Amazon Jungle

[Image: scorch2.png]
    so watch me close as i unveil -
    you are the heart and i am the nail.

Ea knew better than to outwardly complain. If she did, she would have a lot to complain about – her boredom, the oppressive humidity, her company. She couldn’t related to anyone in the Jungle. Or anyone anywhere, really. They were all unremarkable. Hard workers working towards nothing – a task that Ea could not find herself understanding. What was the point of being a subject of a kingdom? What was the point if you weren’t one day going to rule it? She knew she would rule, one day. She was a princess – not just by blood, as many are, but she was a princess in her attitude. Her being.

Her mother gathers her for “training” and she cannot help but sigh. Her mother is high-strung, tightly wound and a bit of a worrier; traits that Ea did not share. If anything, the silver girl was too outwardly inexpressive – cold, even – and though in many ways that trait could benefit her, it made it difficult for her to connect with others. She understood the advantages of forming friendships, but found herself unable to care enough to try. They should want to be friends with her anyway, she reasoned. She was important.

She listens quietly and attentively as Scorch recounts her life story, unsure of how this is relevant to any training. Her mother’s life interested her very little, as did the knowledge of her siblings. “Why are we doing this, mother?” She asked indifferently, before continuing, “and what is this physical training? It doesn’t sound like something I’m interested in.” It was as close to a complaint as she would come, though she didn’t consider it one. Perhaps, she thought, if she just shared her disinterest, her mother wouldn’t force her to do anything physical. Possibly.

Ea seems quite disinterested in Scorch’s tale – a tale which has been spun to few ears – which could be interpreted as discouraging, but the queen knows her child. She knows that this attitude is nothing new, though that perhaps is not a good thing in and of itself. The silver girl does dedicate her attention to the story, however, and for that much, Scorch is grateful. Ea may not be a grateful learner, but she chooses to learn none the less.

Her child’s first question presents itself to be difficult to answer, while her second one is far easier. That being said, the second cannot be answered with the first, and at this realization, Scorch replies. ”Because you are you to potentially be Queen of the Dale. You, and my Jakka’s son, will be presented there in a very short time. Tiphon will rule with you there.” Her gaze grows stern. ”And whilst you think you needn’t my guidance, you will be grateful for it when the weight of a kingdom falls to your shoulders.”

”If you are not interested, then leave. But I know you to have more than just my eyes. You can also manipulate twilight; I am here to make sure you know the ropes.” Without warning, a blast of light explodes from her skin, and in the next moment, it seems as though the entire world has been buried in a rockslide, though Scorch has simply placed a blindfold on her daughter.

After a moment, she releases her magic. Grinning – for Ea has been the only one to inherit her magical abilities – Scorch continues speaking in her brusque, masculine voice. ”Besides this, however, I’d like to practice battling with you. Unless, of course, you fancy that you should never need such things.” And now, the floor becomes Ea's. Leave it to her to answer each question in her cool manner, a manner which she surely did not inherit from her mother.

Scorch

so watch me close as i unveil -
    you are the heart and i am the nail.

The silver girl does have much to learn, despite what she thinks. She has been spoiled by her bloodline – her mother was not only a queen, but a queen willing to teach her daughter, to fight for Ea so that she did not have to. Scorch was not awarded this same luxury. She had been forced to fight for everything she now had – her Jungle, her husband, her children. Her story was impressive. But Ea will not have to face her same struggles. She may have to prove herself to the people of the Dale, but that seemed hardly comparable.

It does surprise Ea that she is being sent to the Dale – she had always assumed that the Jungle would be hers. “Why the Dale?” She had not learned much about the kingdom, except that it was Tiphon’s, and relatively quiet. “What do you think of her son? Have you met him?” She knew of her mother and Lagertha’s differences – Lagertha was power-hungry, but (in Ea’s opinion) went about it the wrong way. She was hostile and rough; no expert at manipulating those already in power. And, for this, Ea thought she was perhaps a bit dumb. Anger and hostility were wasteful emotions.

Her mother mentions Ea’s and her shared manipulation of twilight, and before Ea can wonder what she means by this, there is a flash of light and then darkness. She is blinded, frozen in fear only noticeable by her quickening heartbeat, and then it is over. She takes deep breaths, looking around warily before relaxing once again. “I want to learn how to do that,” she says, pausing, “but why should I learn to fight if I am queen? Isn’t that what the army is for?” After all, fighting a battle takes far more effort than Ea is willing to put in.

Ea’s surprise at the revelation of her importance in the scheme of things may be the most emotion she’s shown throughout her entire six months. Well, that’s not true. A bee stung her once, and Scorch couldn’t help but chuckle at the tantrum which consequently was thrown. Alas, the antics of children – even precocious ones – would never be quite understood by the fiery woman, not even after having been a child herself once. Only Crito ever got to see that side of her though. Too bad Ea does not have a twin; Scorch could not have withstood another one of this dear child.

“The Dale because it is malleable; it will be what you make of it. And I have not met Dalten; he is a relatively quiet child, hiding away from society. But I think he’s a boy who’s well-bred and who could prosper in the Dale. So he’s going with you.”

A smirk colours Scorch’s expression at the wary look Ea gives after being blinded not once, but twice. The little silverling really is quite a little dolly, if you managed to get past the snotty tone which occupies her voice from time to time. If there’s one thing Scorch will give her, it’s that she’s a goddamned princess through and through.

“You don’t want to go to the Dale inexperienced. You have a possibility, not a guarantee. So I suggest sparring with some of the other Jungle children, Dalten even. I won’t train you against your will, but don’t whine to me when they criticize you for not knowing how to throw a punch.” Scorch gives Ea a solid glare with the end of that one, but she’s really not Echion. She isn’t always a bitch. Lightening her expression, Scorch offers a final piece of advice:

“When the light and dark mix, such as a cloudy day, in light cover, or at twilight, concentrate on either the light or the dark. Use your mind to draw it in. It will take practice, and it will come slowly at first, but like your eyes, you were born with it. It will come more easily to you than it did to myself.”

Stepping forwards, Scorch leaves Ea to wonder why Scorch had not been born with twilight manipulation (in fact, Scorch had been born with nothing at all). Lipping the filly’s forelock appreciatively, Scorch nickers quietly, deep in her throat. For a split second, the image is almost picturesque, a mother-daughter bonding moment. Alas, such moments do not bode well with Scorch. She steps back.

“Practice plenty, and see to a mock with another child. Tiphon is coming to collect you and Dalten soon. For now, I have other business to attend to.” Dipping her head, the Khaleesi turns and departs, on to yet another task.

Scorch