• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

the dead are gone; kreios, ygritte, diplomats

the dead are gone

When she reaches the border she stops, settling her hooves into the soft, rich earth beneath her. Brown eyes flit about, taking in the surrounding countryside in open interest. When Lagertha had mentioned needing a sister to visit the Falls and test the waters for the possibilities of an alliance, Lexa had leapt at the chance. Directly after the war she’d stayed close to home, but now, now she’s itching to get out, to get away from the emptiness she now feels in the Jungle.

Funny, really. It used to be that she’d do anything and everything to get away from her mother’s annoying presence. Now she’d give anything just to have her back.

Of course, there’s nothing she can do about that.

Lexa sighs, then raises her voice to call out for a diplomat, or perhaps even the current rulers themselves. She’s not a diplomat herself, only a member of the army, but she’s glad to have this chance to branch out of her skill set. She’s tired of fighting, she’d done enough of it during the war, seen enough of what it can cost. Of course, she’ll fight for the Amazons if called upon to do so, but for now, it’s nice to be able to do something that will hopefully move towards giving them some peace, however temporary.

and the living are hungry.

lexa.

I have no idea what this post is. :P

Kreios

wildcat of the falls

The warm summer is welcome after a rainy spring, and I’ve been walking through the mottled sunlight of the forest for several hours. I’m technically patrolling the border but there are few dangers anymore. I’m much more likely to find some visiting diplomat than an invading force, and when I hear a call from ahead, I know that I’ve found the former.

I slip easily through the trees, intimately familiar with the kingdom after these years, and find a black mare with a familiar pattern of spots. “Hello there, ” I say, nodding my own spotted head in greeting and offering her a warm smile. “I’m Kreios. What can I help you with?”

I know that there are plenty of spotted horse sin Beqanna, but cannot help but wonder if perhaps this is a relative of mine. Dorne had gone to the Jungle for a little while, I know. She’s left Beqanna though, and this Amazonian doesn’t look quite large enough to be any descended of my sister’s. Perhaps further back then – a cousin of somesort.

i’m screaming the name of a foreigner’s god

image by connor obrien
    Anahi lifted her head from where she's been grazing as she heard a call. She didn't know who it was from, or why s/he had called, but it was clear that the need to speak to someone was present. The champagne mare finished eating what she had in her mouth before loping towards the source of the call, eager to find out who had done so.

Upon glimpsing two forms in the distance, Anahi slowed her gait to a walk. Recognizing one as Kreios, the kingdom's ruler, the mare bowed her head to acknowledge him. "Greetings Kreios."

Then, she turned her attention to the other horse, a black mare with a white speckled body.

She took in the horse's form a moment; this mare seemed strong, tough, like she could handle anything. She gave off an aura of power, strength, something that was to be admired. Yet, that could also mean danger, especially with breeding season so close.

So, for now, Anahi would remain cautious, but give off a warm presence, to show the mare that, truthfully, she had nothing to fear, and that Anahi herself was simply worrying for the safety of the others in the kingdom.
    ASHARA

She was admittedly napping in the summer rays when a call entered her golden auricles, bringing her absent mind to the present. Her sturdy limbs carry forth the honey-hued mare towards the sound. The general flatland revealed the stranger in the distance with the spotted king and being approached by the newest diplomat. Some chatter she didn’t quite catch but sounded like an introduction flitted in her ears. Her mind was still groggy and blank, unassuming. As she neared, the general audience seemed fairly relaxed to the newcomer so perhaps she was a friend. The dark spotted mare had a distinct smell, of vegetation Ashara has never known, a kingdom she hasn’t visited she deduced. A few strides out, she dips her white starred cranium in greeting to the trio and joins the circle on the king’s free side. Her amber eyes taking in the beautiful mare and her tattoos. There was still so much of this new world to know. She gives a warm smile to the behemoth towering almost twice her height beside her before taking advantage of the pause to speak herself. “I hope I haven’t missed the introductions, in any case, I’m Ashara. Pleased to meet you.” Well she assumes the nature of the visit must be a pleasant one. Perhaps she is naïve since her experience in this world has been nothing but agreeable. Sure, there was talk of a war and there must be malice out there, but the golden vixen hadn’t encountered any of it. She lived a cushy life here, without fear of starvation or predators, and perhaps that lack of distress is what gave her so much confidence in the face of strangers.

If you're ever gonna find a silver lining
    It's gotta be a cloudy day

the dead are gone

Within moments of her raising her voice, the lands surrounding the Falls come alive as horses pop out of the woodwork. Lexa watches in some astonishment as not one, not two, but three horses appear to greet her. Historically the Falls has usually been one of the quieter kingdoms, but it appears they’re experiencing an upsurge in popularity. All the better for the Jungle if they do agree to an alliance.

She is even more surprised to realize that the first to approach her, a taller speckled stallion, is someone that she recognizes. “Oh hello! I remember you! You were in the Deserts!” She’s seen him just once before, when her grandfather had called the family to meet in the Deserts. She hadn’t spoken to him then (she’d been far more interested in finding her father), but the stallion had cut an unusual enough figure that he’d stuck in your mind. Funny that he’s apparently the king of the Falls too (she’d done her research before setting out, and recognizes the name). “Nice to officially meet you Kreios. I’m Lexa of the Amazons.” She supposes this means she’s related to him in some likely distant way. Interesting really, though it won’t have any bearing on this meeting.

Kreios is quickly followed by a champagne mare and a palomino mare. The champagne only greets Kreios, but the palomino offers a friendly smile and welcome. “A pleasure to meet you Ashara! I’m Lexa.” Then she turns back to Kreios, as he and his queen will have the final say. “My Khaleesi has sent me here to inquire as to whether you might be interested in an alliance with the Amazons.” Not particularly eloquent, but she is a soldier after all.

lexa.

Kreios

wildcat of the falls

The sound of hooves causes me to turn my attention from the spotted mare and towards the heart of the kingdom where not one but two golden mares emerge.

By the time I turn back to Lexa, she’s lit up as though she recognizes me, and when she explains where, I realize that I know her as well, though we’d never spoken. I know that summons had been directed to my father’s descendents. Related on both sides of the family then, I think, unaware of the precise bonds that link us – uncle and cousin. She’s here for political reasons and not familial ones, so I fall quiet as she speaks.

“We might be, ” I reply, because this is not something that Ygritte and I have discussed yet. The Amazons tend to get themselves in scuffles far more often than the rest of the kingdoms in Beqanna. An alliance insures they will help us in times of need, but historically those times have been far less frequent than the number of times the Amazons called for war. Generations have passed, but the amazons are still the kingdom that tried to subjugate the Falls “for their own good.” “What does your Khaleesi expect from such an alliance?”

I’m glad that both Ashara and Anahi had responded to the call. This is an excellent opportunity for the new diplomats to learn the works on alliance making, and perhaps they’ll go on their own such ventures in the not-too-distant future.

image by connor obrien

the dead are gone

Kreios indicates a possible interest, but Lexa can here the apprehension in his voice. It isn’t entirely unexpected - the Amazons has always been a rather warlike kingdom, and is often embroiled in some conflict or other. As one of the quieter and often less populated kingdoms (though the latter is clearly changing), it makes sense that they would be worried about the potential for conflict. Especially since the Amazons were recently involved in a war.

It is probably better for the Falls though that war had been so recent. The Amazons are tired and hurting. They’ve lost sisters (Lexa has lost her mother) and are still grieving. They aren’t terribly likely to pick a fight with anyone anytime soon.

“Nothing out of the ordinary of course. Support, should anyone decide to attack us. Use of the healing waters should we need them.” Really, the same that anyone seeking an alliance with the Falls would want. “And in return, we would help to defend the Falls should you ever need us.” And given the Falls history … it might be wise for them to have someone strong in their corner. “And don’t you worry. We have no intention of starting any fights any time soon. We’ve … we’ve lost enough.” Her head bows momentarily before returning to meet Kreios’ gaze. Now is not the time to think back on what she’s lost. She needs to get on with life and serve the kingdom. Her mother would have wanted it anyway. “What do you think?”

lexa.

Anahi, as a new diplomat to the kingdom, made sure to take interest and listened carefully to what the Amazonian mare had to say, what she was proposing in terms of the alliance. She'd heard stories of that place from other horses in the kingdom, how tough and willing to fight they were. And yet, what puzzled her was the fact that here was a mare, from that very kingdom, wishing for an alliance between the Falls and the Amazons.

That very fact both puzzled and troubled her, in several ways each.

When the mare explained what each kingdom would get out of this alliance, Anahi almost scoffed. Of course she would mention the healing waters. Then again, it was a huge reason to undergo an alliance, as well as a coup. Who's to say that the Amazonian horses weren't planning that right now? But for some reason, her gut told her to doubt that thought. The kingdom had just been through a war, confirmed by the mare's words, and they were too tired to fight right now.

Which was good, if Kreios wanted to take time and prepare his kingdom should the Amazons try to attack.

Anahi turned her gaze to Kreios. She had her own opinion on this matter, but she wished to hear what he had to say, being the king and all, "What are you thinking Kreios?" she questioned.
    ASHARA
    If you're ever gonna find a silver lining It's gotta be a cloudy day

Her amber eyes are bright with the acknowledgment of her name. Lexa a lovely title, she commits to memory. The appaloosa wasn’t overly blunt but didn’t waste time with unnecessary chatter either and pulled it off with the grace Ash assumed came from a leadership role. If the Amazons were all as charming as Lexa perhaps it was a place worth visiting.

The king’s apprehension catches her attention though, and her curiosity swells. Beneficial history lost to the newcomer, but she yearns to learn, to serve and better her kingdom. Lexa’s demands are reasonable but without knowing the Amazons it’s hard to formulate an opinion on who would benefit the most from such an agreement. How big are their numbers compared to ours, and the risk of conflict? Such questions the monarch was analyzing. The use of the healing waters wasn’t much of a gain or loss since they were extended to all victims of the war if needed and to her information weren’t used at all. The generosity of their neutrality. But there was much to be considered and unfortunately nothing she could say of benefit so she remained silent. Her questions would be answered eventually and the formality of the interaction left little room for chit chat.

Credit Image stock (starrlightstarbright.dA)/ Artist (Vita)

Kreios

wildcat of the falls

Lexa doesn’t hesitate to answer – an good sign – and I listen curiously as she lays out the desires of her kingdom. They are standard terms – support and aid – but I am cautious still, something that I see echoed in the expression of the golden mare beside me. “Those sound like fair terms, though we are still wary of war. Would your queen be interested in a treaty, or only in an alliance? Our army is small still, and I am in no rush to embroil them in another war. What of the same conditions – friendly steals and challenges, perhaps a few mocks battles, but we pledge only to not take arms against the each other rather than to actively defend?” It seems safer, I think. I will, of course, give all members of the kingdom their own freedom to decide in the case of a conflict. I will not hold them from battle if they feel the need to fight, but nor am I willing to put them in harm’s way simply because someone else might feel slighted.

“What about you, Anahi? What do you think?” I say, turning to the champagne mare inquisitively.

This is a diplomatic emissary on our land, after all. If we were in the Amazon Jungle and I were delaying business in such a way it might be construed as rude – as wasting their time. But Lexa has come to the Falls, and what we choose to do on our own time in our own kingdom is our business. I’d rather ensure that our diplomats are fully trained before their own ventures, and opportunities like this, with visiting ambassadors, are the very best time to do so.

Ashara seems less inclined to speak up, but I give the palomino a quick glance – questioning, just in case she does have something to say.

image by connor obrien