• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Meet me on the equinox
    She was never that special a mare, at least in her eyes. Taqqiq is but a simple Arabian, a silvery-white girl with an equally light mane and tail. She knows that she's rather plain—while some may think the silver-tinted girl is beautiful, she is sure that she is average, and her bubbly, optimistic personality is probably annoying to many. That is probably why she's been traveling alone for a while yet.

She halts by a small pool of water, gazing at her reflection for a moment. A grey, dished face stares back at her, and she sighs. She has been her only company for the last few months, and she feels the loss keenly. A leaf falls from overhead, past her face, and shatters her visage in the pool of water. The water spirals outward, and she cannot help but watch. Eventually, though, the young mare grows bored of staring at a puddle and whips around.

Her long, lean legs carry her over the rolling hills, past the occasional tree, and over the occasional stream. With her dished head lifted and her high-set silver banner curled over her back, she is the image of a true Arabian, a desert horse that is rather out of place in this field of green grasses. She slides to a halt and half-rears in the open meadow, letting out a shrill whinny to anyone and everyone in the vicinity. Were there other horses around? Maybe. She wouldn't be opposed to meeting them. With another whinny, she tosses her head, calling out again, summoning anyone in the vicinity to a conversation with her. Come what may.
    Do you believe you're missin' out?
    That everything good is happening somewhere else?

I come with a clear mind, and an optimistic one. Regardless of my station – Governor, that is – and regardless of my home – the Chamber, that is – I come with a light step and a good-natured half-smile. The light plays tricks on my silky golden coat, for the sun has always been my friend. On this autumn day, the sky ranges from blue to bluer, clear of clouds and clear of worry. I smile, for I know that Pomona is looking up at this very sky.

With that pleasant thought in mind, I kick up my heels and canter to the Field. My chocolate tail sails behind me, arched as is my neck. While I am generally a very attractive fellow, my Arabian heritage shines when I run. Everything about me is distinctively Arabian, despite the fact that I am only two thirds the breed. Alas, Kagerou’s blood has dominated Rhaego’s, and here I stand, a slightly taller version of your usual desert horse.

Beads of sweat drip off of my breast lazily as I slow to a trot, ears perked for any sound of another horse within the land. Two whinnies alert me of a mare much like myself, save of colour. My amber eyes watch her rear appreciatively before I approach. Whinnying in response, I trot to her, a charming half-smile gracing my dark lips.

I halt before her, extending my neck and offering my nose should she wish to bump it. It is a traditional gesture, one which many horses no longer deem necessary. Ever the gentleman, however, I wait until she exchanges breath or simply does nothing. Either is fine. ”Hello miss, I’m Kavi.” My tones are warm like the wind. ”A woman like you must need suitable company. How do you do?” The compliment escapes my lips without thought, though I’m sure that Pomona would not mind. She knows how I am – charming, elegant, and gentlemanly. My words are not untrue, you see; many a stallion would take this girl’s innocence without a blink after having seen her. I simply wish to protect, and do my duty as Governor.

KAVI
    Kagerou x Rhaego

kreios

don't you tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash

As the product of two monarchs, it was always assumed that my siblings and I would reside in kingdoms. We all do – at least as far as I know – but lately I have begun to wonder what it might be like to do something else. I have no intentions of abandoning the Desert, of course; Father would rise from his grave beneath the oak tree and smite me for the thought alone. I am simply curious about them, about herds.

It doesn’t seem sensible to ask other members of my kingdom about them, since they clearly prefer kingdom life to herd life. But I’ve wandered through the canyons that border the badlands of the Desert, and found the two empty herd lands that sit beside the Light Mythic Kingdom. The Orange County and the Misty Rapids intrigue me, and I have oven imagined what a life there might be like. It would be split between my kingdoms duties of course (however few they are) but it might be nice.

The next step in deciding if a dual herd-and-kingdom life is feasible for me is then finding someone to help. I’ve considered asking Lucrezia or even Adrie, but I’m too afraid that they will laugh at me, and then how will I face them? No, I’d decided as I headed toward the Meadow this early fall day, it’s best to find someone entirely new.

The air is cool here, and the breeze lifts the chestnut hair of my mane from my neck as I follow the path beneath the fire-leaved trees. I am difficult o miss in the Field, even thought he scant red spots on my pale coat match the red-gold of autumn well. I am taller even than my father, and his thick Percheron blood (and my mother’s muscular figure, as well) have ensure that I tower over the rest of the company that has gathered in the Field on this autumn day. My size, however, is not something I am self-conscious of, so I keep my ram-horned head held high as I make my way into the open area.

I had taken into account the temperature of the season, I realize as I catch the scent of the mares that make up the majority of the homeless in the Field, but I had not considered that it was the season. I have never touched a mare – not in that way – and I have no intention of fathering children yet. It’s expected of a herd stallion, I’ve heard, but I’m not a herd stallion yet. I have only just lost my own father, and am not yet ready to be one myself. But that logic does not affect the blood that races through my veins like fire, and it does little to control the surge of testosterone.

Perhaps, I decide, it might be best to come back another day, perhaps in the winter, when I will be more in control of myself. Yes, I decide, that is what I will do.

I turn to leave and that is when I see her, a sleek silver figure atop the hill. She’s calling, perhaps not just to me, but I am within earshot. I should say hello, I tell myself, even if it’s just that – a hello and a goodbye in passing. I turn towards her instead of the path back to the Desert, and climb the hill with little effort. I am accustomed to scaling sand dunes, after all. Someone else reaches her first, a buckskin stallion that smells of the Chamber

“Hello,” I say, lowering my head to them both in a nod of greeting. It’s a longer stretch down to the mare, I realize, she is very small and very slender. She reminds me of Queen Yael, but this grey mare is much prettier; I realize that even in the haze of breeding season. I look at both of them, but my attention always return to the mare. “I’m Kreios, from the Desert. Well, I am from the Desert but that’s not really where I’m representing today.” I’ve already fumbled, how embarrassing. Since regaining the proper use of my mouth, I’ve done my best to always be well spoken. I do not look over at the other stallion, wel aware that even with effort I’d lack the easy charm that he posseses.

“I’m just here as me.” I add, in case that will help at all. Though I am not gifted with a silver tongue, I am genuine, and that at least is clear in the way that I offer a somewhat shy smile. “What brings you here today?”

She stands for a few moments, pricking her ears attentively. The silver girl tosses her mane, debating whether or not to utter another calling. No one has yet approached her, though perhaps they simply were too far away. Settling on the hill, Taqqiq decides to simply wait. Surely someone will come sooner or later.

Her keen ears prick as she hears another whinny, a stallion this time. She turns to see a handsome golden stallion trotting towards her. Almost Arabian-esque, like herself, though there's something slightly off about him. His colouring, maybe? She's never seen a dun desert horse before. Perhaps he's Crossbred...or maybe she just hasn't been exposed to that many horses before.

Taqqiq stretches out her muzzle to meet the stallion's, exchanging a friendly breath with him. She is somewhat wary, because it is, after all, breeding season, but she's always been somewhat naïve, too. The thought that one would force her to breed does not even cross her mind, and besides, she's too preoccupied with (hopefully) making a new friend.

"Hello there," she whinnies, her dark brown eyes friendly. "I'm Taqqiq. It's nice to meet you, Kavi." The stallion seemed rather welcoming and charming, gallant and gentlemanly. Her first impression is that he's a fairly nice horse, though she's learned the hard way that things aren't always as they seem.

Speaking of things not being as they appear. She turns as a spotted stallion approaches them atop the small hill. He is larger, stronger, and he has.... Ram horns? Taqqiq cannot stop herself from doing a double take. She's heard of Beqanna before, how the horses here are unique. Some with wings, others with immortality.... But ram horns?

The stallion greets her politely, though he seems to trip over his words a bit. She doesn't mind in the slightest, though, and hence she utters her own greeting.

"Hello," she nickers, though she cannot help but listen as he speaks of a desert. Instantly, she pricks her ears, instinctively driven to the hot climate and idea of desert sands, though she's never spent long in such a setting before. "I'm Taqqiq," she says again, letting a friendly smile grace her features. "I'm not really sure what I'm doing here," she admits. "I'm just wandering, I suppose. I've only just gotten here; I've seen other horses and figured that I could do with a chat."
    Do you believe you're missin' out?
    That everything good is happening somewhere else?

The beautiful silverling meets my nose with her own, and we exchange warm, sweet smelling breath. Just as we're pulling apart and her addressing me, another stallion approaches (to whom I give a gracious nod), a hulking appaloosa who could only be the son of one Vanquish. I say nothing about this however, fearing it would bring a rise of misery out of the seemingly harmless stallion. Indeed, this Kreios could have come with the intent to try and steal the silver Arabian to the Deserts, but he subtly hints that his intent is something different. As I listen to Taqqiq's words, I smile, but it is slightly distant, as I am attempting to think up a way to explain the workings of Beqanna to her.

"Well met, Taqqiq. This land is the Field, a gathering place for the homeless. We - Kreios and I - have come in the hopes that you might join our homes, be they kingdoms..." My amber gaze flickers to the Deserts stallion searchingly, "... or herds." My half-smile grows as I realize that these words probably are meaningless to her, so I continue speaking in my caramel tones. "Do excuse these confusing terms. A kingdom is like a herd, but each horse has a role to play and tasks to complete. I am the Governor of the Chamber, for example. I've never been one for war." A chuckle accompanies the comment; I've really been rather poor at recruiting; I always want to make friends first, instead of taking them home and then doing so afterwards.

"But alas, there are many kingdoms and more herds. The two are not mutually exclusive," I say with emphasis. Really I am a kind soul for helping Kreios out here - but then again, he isn't in direct competition with me, either. "The Chamber is ruled by Straia, my niece. She and you share the same beautiful composure, if I may be so bold." The compliment escapes me just as the other one has, but in my eyes there is only kindness and gallantry and honesty; no lust, no temptation, no deceit. I simply mean what I say, for I've always had an eye for beauty, whether I should or I should not. Upon my sooty buckskin lips, my half-smile grows, and I dip my head politely to Taqqiq before glancing to Kreios, indicating that my part has been said and that he may now continue.

KAVI
    Kagerou x Rhaego

kreios

don't you tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash

I have always been good at reading others, and the double-take that Taqqiq gives my horns is difficult to miss. It is hard to make them look anything less than they are – long spirals of black keratin, designed for battle – but I have never used them in violence, despite my father’s wishes. I cannot tell if she is anything more than startled by them though (please? Worried?) and I decide that that’s for another time. At least she has not run away.

On a more positive note, it is not hard to see that the mention of the Desert has intrigued the black mare in a somewhat more positive way. Though I’ve never had experience with anything worse than bland neutrality at the mention of my home, her excitement is encouraging. I offer her another, less hesitant smile, hoping that even if she does head off to wherever Kavi is from, that at least we’ll get to talk about the Desert a bit.

Kavi takes over the talking after Taqqiq tells us that she’s just arrived, and I glance over at the buckskin stallion as he speaks. He says that I am here in hopes that she will join our homes and I start slightly. I wasn’t, not really. I just wanted to talk, to be sure that I wasn’t an absolutely atrocious herd prospect and was hoping for a stranger’s opinion. But Kavi has given me the position of recruiter and I’m not inclined to arguments, so I simply nod along – Taqqiq certainly seems nice enough, and I see nothing wrong with progressing the way Kavi has suggested rather than following my original plan.

The other stallion talks of his own position and of the Queen of the chamber being a blood relative, and I make note of that information. While I am sure that our magical queen knows all, there is no harm in being sure that I know a few things myself. The buckskin seems able to effortlessly compliment the grey mare, and I glance over at her curiously to see how she is reacting to his flattery. It’s not something that I’ve even tried – flirting – but I am quite sure that it is not as easy as Kavi is making it seem. So as much as I’d like to, because she is pretty and seems sweet, I decide that perhaps I’d better not.

“Where did you come from?” I ask, because the idea of a world beyond Beqanna is intriguing. I’ve never wanted to leave – I still do not – but that does not mean that Taqqiq might not have wonderful stories of the world beyond. Well, I tell myself before I can get too excited, it cannot be that wonderful if she has come here instead. Not that here is not wonderful; there is nothing more lovely than the Deserts at sunset.

“The Deserts is the kingdom that I serve,” I tell her, having decided that it might be best to follow in Kavi’s pattern. “I’ve been considered starting a herd in one of the herd lands the border the Desert, but I don’t know anything about herds. I came here today hoping I might find someone that does.” I look up hopefully – perhaps she does have some experience. And even if she doesn’t I too am content with just someone to talk to. Or perhaps she’d liked to the see the Deserts as well, I remember; she had looked excited. “But I can always tell you more about the Desert if that seems a more appealing option to you.” Despite my inability to flirt, my smile is warm and easy. I will not be offended if she is more interested in the kingdom than in me – I am accustomed to not meeting the standards of others.