• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

And the sons shall bear the sins of their father; brother

The Deserts are soft and still after the war, as they had been before it. The sprawling kingdom had never been known for its thick ranks or riotous nature, it was a quiet giant that lay slumbering by the great sea until riled. Kratos had never appreciated it before, his nature just simply wouldn’t allow it. The skull-faced stallion had loathed the calmness of his father’s land – he had especially hated its boring nothingness as a child. He had ached for the Dale, where his fabled mother ruled and where the land was fat with shadows and forests and things to sink his lightning into. Where he should have been, if it hadn’t been for his slurred-mouth twin who had to be coddled beneath their great mother’s care. Yael had always been too quick to snake into his thoughts when the white-fire began to build in his mouth as his eyes had slid across some unfortunate desert creature. She had never been any fun, he had growled so often then. But he had never been a particularly agreeable child, there wasn’t much he did enjoy. Well, not anything good, anyway. He had been a wolfish, menacing colt, bearing traits even his warrior mother longed he would grow out of but his king father merely overlooked. Kratos, the once favored son – oh, how far the high has fallen.

It had never been a secret that the Nightwalker had always chosen him, but he had always shrugged away from the weight his father’s tried to shoulder onto him. The gentility, the aristocracy of it all was just left too much of a sour taste on his tongue. Kratos had a vein of nastiness that threaded through – even then he knew he was too selfish, too hateful to rule. But still Vanquish had expected him to rise up behind him like a shadow, but he had flouted the black king’s expectations well before the day of his death.

But the dragon-winged king had been reborn, a black phoenix from the ashes of his own bones long bleached white with time. He had come back from the Otherworld to wear his crown again and this time, Kratos would not fail him. And he hadn’t, not yet at least.

The painted titan was quick to appease the Deserts needs, especially with Rhy at his side amongst the dunes. Even if it meant facing his brother; the once ill-favored son, the once mistreated child, the now king. Kratos had been malicious to him as a child, unrelenting and cruel when he should have been bolstering and protective. He remembers overhearing two Desert mares gossiping about how he had crippled his brother in their mother’s womb before their first breath and had felt a wild heat of shame since. A shame that had always made him angry and malevolent, perhaps it had been his way of pushing his feelings of guilt on Kreios, or perhaps he had just been a wicked child.

Either way, the king's twin idles at the edge of the kingdom’s border, lightning rumbling softly in his throat as he called for him, and then he waited.

Kratos

the electric titan of vanquish and lyric

Kreios

wildcat of the falls

Walking the border is second nature to me now, each tree and path as familiar to me as those of the Dale and the Desert. More familiar, truly, for the memories of my childhood homes have begun to fade with time. My trip to the Dale had been too short, and I am still – for many reasons – hesitant to return to the Desert.

So when the familiar scent of sand and limestone drifts through the summer warmth of the Falls, there is a momentary clench of anxiety at my heart. It passes briefly, or at least I suppress it quickly. Letting out a nicker to call Raene closer to me, I head toward the source of the smell, and soon hear a summons. I know that voice.

“We’re about to meet your uncle,” I tell the young filly that trots at my side. She wears my spots and her mother’s salmon pink mane and tail, the unmistakable Princess of the Falls. Raene is quiet, much like I was at her age, but her silken comes from pensiveness rather than injury, and I have never worried about her development in the way that my parents fretted over mine. She seems pleased, and I wish that I could say that I feel the same.

I’ve not seen my twin in years, and I’ve honestly no idea what to expect. As easy as it would be to blame him for my slurred speech, I’d long ago come to terms that it could have just as easily been my foot that connected with his skull in our mother’s womb as his with mine. The torment post-birth though? That was another issue entirely.

Still, I am king now and he is a diplomat, not only my torturous older brother.

“Kratos,” I say as we come upon the white stallion at the edge of the kingdom. “What brings you to the Falls?”

I’d assumed that Raene would follow my example and stay close to me, but the filly continues forward after I have stopped, and reaches up toward the white stallion with a curious nose. Probably wondering about the lightning, I think, and my suspicions are confirmed when she asks: “What’s that? Can I have it?”

i’m screaming the name of a foreigner’s god

image by connor obrien