• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Possible new battle style for BQ! [be gentle]
    -I know we talked somewhat about this idea on the site recently and I also know that it’s been brought up before but I went ahead and wrote something up for viewing purposes. If this has been created already, or if someone has begun this process, please feel free to add input/suggestions/comments. Other than that, let’s begin!

Beqanna now has a trait space category, which tells us a little about the amount of magic/stability that a trait possesses. This is incredibly beneficial when it comes to battle posts because, In short terms, we’ve got an actual scale of how much power one horse can deal. When it comes to battling, this should be put into play! However, we find that against un-gifted horses sometimes the odds seem severely stacked in one corner. But, there’s a way to fix that too.
    Enter the 20-sided dice.

All traits are graded either 1-4, L1 being a basic trait [wings, horn, etc.] going up to L4 [magic, angel, etc.]
    My point is that the higher the level, the more damage an attack can do. The problem arises in overuse of the higher-level trait in order to auto-win the match.
    In attempts to cull this behavior and make the playing grounds a bit more even, we should implement a “recharge” period for traits L1-L4. Once used, a trait must take a specific amount of turns to “recharge” for use.
    For example: Lupei decided to use his white fire manipulation in an attack, that’s an L3 move. So, he makes the attack but then he’s restricted to only regular attacks for 3 turns until his trait recharges. (For now, we’ll include blocks as regular attacks/moves.)

The 20-sided die comes into play here. Each attack deals a specific damage amount (DMG for shorthand) based on the level it holds:

Block: -5DMG or -3DMG depending on whether or not the two want to have complete blocks
    Reg attacks: 5DMG
    Level 1 attacks: 10DMG [roll evens for success, odd for fail]
    L2: 15DMG [roll 1-10 for success. 11-20 for fail (10/20 chance)]
    L3: 20DMG [roll prime number for success (8/20 chance)]
    L4: 25 DMG [roll 1, 10, or 20]

For the curious minds, Regular attacks (Reg) count as Kick, Bite, Buck, Rear, i.e. the attacks a horse would normally use.

How would this look set up? I’ll show you:

The Challenger makes his terms as usual, just a little shorter. You can play to a round limit, or to a DMG limit now!

Lupei vs. Dacia
    4 rounds
    NO complete blocks
    3 turns per round
    [Stats]
    Lupei takes 1st round

(The first post will look something like this)
    Round ONE
    TURN ONE: Lupei comes into the arena, looks around, sees Dacia and estimates the distance between them or his specific position. Thinks on possible moves, estimates opponents abilities, goes in with first attack in the form of a wolf, lunging for her face.
    [L2 attack] 15 possible DMG
    TURN TWO: After possible/hopeful success, drops to ground, scurries not too far away to shift back into horse form.
    [BLOCK] -3 possible DMG
    TURN THREE: Rears, striking out at Dacia in hopes of wounding her side/leg/neck etc.
    [Reg. Attack] 5 possible DMG

So, Lupei has used his L2 attack which means it will take 2 turns to recharge. He decides with his last two turns on a BLOCK and a Reg. Attack, which means he will be able to use his L2 power in the next post. He will not know whether his attacks were successful or not until the battle is complete, with all parties having posted their maneuvers.

(Now it’s Dacia’s turn!)
    Round TWO
    Dacia decides to use her color-changing to turn camo, making her face hard to distinguish for Lupei’s wolf vision, bites out.
    [L1 attack since she used her trait] 10 possible DMG
    As he drops away, she rises up to stomp down on him.
    Since she’s firmly on the ground, she backs away from his rear making it harder for him to hit his target. Flashes bright colors in rapid succession to make Luepi’s eyes hurt, turns on heel and kicks out.
    [L1 attack] 10 possible DMG

And the battle continues for two more posts.

Now; the next logical question is How do we know who wins? This is where we keep the old way of doing things - accuracy in posts, correct positioning, correct labeling of horse anatomy, stats, etc. Once finished with your battle post, whoever judges will evaluate each round and score the turns as either GOOD, OK, or NEEDS IMPROVEMENT. This score depends on all the same points I’ve listed above, which is how we’ve been doing the judging thus far.
    The importance of evaluation is not only to help the writer progress with his or her skill, but to also make the scoring a little more even. If the turn is labeled GOOD, you will receive all possible points for that roll. If the turn is labeled OK, you’ll receive significantly less but still some points. If NEEDS IMPROVEMENT is shown, you’ll receive the least amount of points possible for the roll. So, let’s say you write a regular attack turn. The judge evaluates it as OK, meaning that instead of 5 total damage, your character will only inflict 3 damage. If it had been NEEDS IMPROVEMENT, your character would only inflict 1 damage. This system goes for any attack, trait or no.

Now that your turns have been evaluated, the judge rolls! Points are added up and a winner is declared!
    -Let’s use the above Lupei vs. Dacia thread as a reference.

Round ONE
    TURN ONE: Lupei comes into the arena, looks around, sees Dacia and estimates the distance between them or his specific position. Thinks on possible moves, estimates opponents abilities, goes in with first attack in the form of a wolf, lunging for her face.
    [L2 attack] 15 possible DMG
    GOOD
    TURN TWO: After possible/hopeful success, drops to ground, scurries not too far away to shift back into horse form.
    [BLOCK] -3 possible DMG
    OK
    TURN THREE: Rears, striking out at Dacia in hopes of wounding her side/leg/neck etc.
    OK

(Now it’s Dacia’s turn!)
    Round TWO
    Dacia decides to use her color-changing to turn camo, making her face hard to distinguish for Lupei’s wolf vision, bites out.
    [L1 attack since she used her trait] 10 possible DMG
    OK
    As he drops away, she rises up to stomp down on him.
    NEEDS IMPROVEMENT
    Since she’s firmly on the ground, she backs away from his rear making it harder for him to hit his target. Flashes bright colors in rapid succession to make Luepi’s eyes hurt, turns on heel and kicks out.
    [L1 attack] 10 possible DMG
    GOOD

So, beginning with Lupei. His first attack was evaluated as GOOD, so if he rolls 1-10 on the die, he’ll receive the full 15 points of damage against Dacia.
    The results would look something like this:

Round one: Lupei
    Turn One: GOOD. (Liked his attention, etc.) Unsuccessful roll.
    Turn Two: OK. (explanation) Successful roll. -2 DMG
    Turn Three: OK. (explanation) Successful roll. +5 DMG

+5 DMG to Dacia

Round two: Dacia
    Turn One: OK. (......) Successful roll. +8 DMG
    Turn two: NI. (......) Successful roll. +1 DMG
    Turn three: GOOD. (.....) Successful roll. +10 DMG

+17 DMG to Lupei

And, the scoring would continue. Lupei hypothetically still has one round left to block and lessen his damage, so it is possible for him to win against Dacia. But, in this way, the playing field is a more evened out. This style is more strategy based, but still with the ability to post like we all love to do Smile Of course, this is a very rough idea and everyone's input helps.

BONUS: To make things even more interesting, or in the favor for those regular ponies we all love so much, this style allows us to add ‘wild cards’ to the system:

*Chance to CONFUSE opponent, making one previous attack unsuccessful
    *RISK ALL - roll either 1 or 20 to win. If unsuccessful, automatic loss
    *DMG*2 - deal double the damage, less of a chance of rolling for win
    -The list goes on and on!

Tell me what you all think!
    -Sporadic-
    Apothica • Tiberios
    Just a thought, should there perhaps be some sort of 'bonus' for experienced fighters? To be honest I have no idea how D & D and other tabletop RPGs work, but say, if a fighter (the character not the player) has completed 5 (or 10, or more or whatever) battles, maybe they would be more likely to hit with an attack, or more likely to cause more damage?
    That's an absolute possibility and could be factored in with the horses stats Big Grin (seems very helpful for traitless horses) Or, we could twist it for the traited horses and go along the lines of completing so many challenges lessens your trait 'recharge' time.
    -Sporadic-
    Apothica • Tiberios
    Ooo actually now that you say that it could be a way to even the playing field even more for a non-traited horse.

Would potentially make a lot of sense too - raw power doesn't necessarily win over battle smarts (though it def can help).
    My suggestion is that you can only challenge someone 1 lvl higher/lower than you. Imo there is no reason for a lvl 4 to challenge a lvl 1. So that would mean a lvl 1 can challenge other lvl 1 or a lvl 2 etc,etc

Also
    @[hanna]
    [Image: ca94dsg_by_calltherp-dcioghd.gif]
    SLOW-WORDER CLUB
    Yes- excellent suggestion Call!

I used dacia and lupei here just because I knew their traits off the top of my head Smile
    -Sporadic-
    Apothica • Tiberios
    I love this. Frankly, most of us just don't have time for elaborate fighting posts.
    Oh! Perhaps there should be some sort of inclusion for defensive vs offensive abilities? Like Lagertha's armour formation, versus Lupei's white fire manipulation.
    Thanks for the support Krys!

-Tinsel, I was thinking about that too. Glad you mentioned it. Let's say your character is gifted with an ability blocking trait/armor/opposite element trait, then perhaps your block stats could increase. So, instead of -3 DMG, it could be bumped back up to -5 DMG.

EDIT:
    Here's a link to what battles done in this style would look like
    http://beqanna.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8027
    -Sporadic-
    Apothica • Tiberios
    I AM JUST SEEING THIS TAG NOW! But I have so many ideas!! I will post when I can!