• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  the living are hungry; ALL
    You and me together, take on the world forever
    As the black tobiano mare steps into the gathering crowd, she is overwhelmed by the sea of unknown faces. She can't stop the wave of excitement that rushes over her, however. Now is her time to join the Sisterhood, to take her happily ever after and never let it go. 

After a few seconds, she finds a familiar face. Walking up to the paint mare. "Hello, Riva," the Gypsy Vanner female says, breaking into a smile. It was nice to know someone here, to not be completely alone.

While navigating the crowd, Fayella had connected the dots. Lexa was obviously their new leader. The silver buckskin mare standing near was Odesza. Other than that, Fayella didn't know any of these strange mare's names.

Addressing Lexa, Fayella said, "I will take the oath as well." She felt slightly embarrassed that she had nothing useful to add; but she was new here, and had no idea what "the Tundra" and "the Chamber" even was. But to see everyone so disheartened was a little unsettling, and she wished there was something she could say to make it better. Fayella simply had to accept the fact that she couldn't fix everything.
    Fayella

the dead are gone

And then suddenly, there’s more.

The appaloosa, Riva and Odezca are quickly joined by a number of faces, two that she recognizes, and one that she does not. She smiles broadly to see that Joscelin and Draconis have remained (an extra quirk pulls at her lips at the sight of her old friend), and nods in greeting to the painted newcomer. There is life in the Amazons yet!

She listens as each of them speak in turn, listening to their suggestions. She is more than a little pleased when Riva, Odezca and the newcomer add their voices to Celeana’s (who quickly introduces herself) in requesting for initiation. Their ranks are not nearly as empty as she had thought.

But initiation will wait for a moment or two. First, to discuss their possible alliances.

Draconis and Celeana both suggest the Falls, and while she agrees with the suggestion, she’s not sure that it will pan out. “The Falls would be a good choice with their healing waters, but I wonder if they will accept. I visited them to offer them an alliance under Lagertha’s rule, but they were hesitant to tie themselves to us. In the end, they were only willing to accept a treaty between our two kingdoms. We are simply too often embroiled in wars, and they were concerned about the possibility of being dragged into a fight not their own. I doubt our recent participation in defending the Deserts will have gone unnoticed.” Of course, Kreios had defended the Deserts as well, but he had gone as a family member, not as a representative of the Falls.

Then suddenly a thought strikes her. "I wonder if they too have been affected by this loss of magic." It's hard to imagine. The healing waters have been there for so long - the loss would be a great blow to all of Beqanna. "But, even if the waters have lost their power, they would be a good choice. They are one of the more active kingdoms currently." And they do not seek out fights, though she leaves that unsaid. “Perhaps we should once again extend the branch and offer an alliance, but we should fully expect that they might wish to keep the status quo. We should not reject that if that’s what they wish, but it is disheartening to hear that some of their diplomats are predisposed against us. I hope that does not affect our relationship with them.” She hadn’t experienced anything of the like during her trip there, she hopes it’s not a sign of future relations.

She next addresses Joscelin’s suggestions of the Dale and the Chamber, and she cannot help the coldness that enters her voice when she speaks of Killdare’s kingdom. It pains her to think of allying with the kingdom in which her mother had died. “I would hesitate to extend any peace to the Chamber. With this recent raid, their king has proven himself to be a warmonger and willing to attack for nothing more than a desire to put his friend on a foreign throne. If we allied with them we could become far too easily embroiled in their battles.” Of course with this most recent raid they’d managed to get dragged in regardless, but at least they’d had the choice to do so, and had not been required to as an ally of the Chamber. “I do appreciate the suggestion though, and I would like to hear the opinions of our other sisters on this matter.” She is honest in that, no condescension is meant. Whatever her feelings on the matter, if the majority of her sisters wish her to extend the olive branch, she will. Her brown eyes look to Celeana, Riva, Odezca and the newcomer. “What do you think? Should we attempt to broker peace with the Chamber?” As for the Dale …

She thinks aloud, considering. “I would be inclined to prefer a treaty with the Dale at the moment. They are a weaker, less active kingdom, and some of the other kingdoms could see them as a target. Of course, they do have a few rather powerful beings on their side …” She pauses, thinking of Weir (she does not, of course, know of his recent defection to the Tundra). The roan stallion has an incredible and versatile power. She knows first hand that being on the wrong end of it is not pleasant. And Weir is not the only powerful creature in the Dale. “That said, breaking the ties we have with them would be even less wise, considering some of the powers in their kingdom. You are right Joscelin, we should continue continue our alliance, if they are willing.”

As for Riva’s suggestion of the Tundra …

She pauses for a moment, considering. And the more she ponders, the more she likes the idea. With the recent changes to the traditional Tundra hierarchy, the Tundra has become a far more powerful, active force. They could be a powerful ally. “The Tundra would be a good choice I believe. They are more powerful now than they have been in a long, long time, and it would be good to have them on our side. Hopefully new leadership will allay any concerns this Vaughan might have.”

She falls silent then, giving the other mares time to respond and add their own thoughts. Once they are done, she speaks up again. It’s time for the initiation. “Those of you who wish to take the oath, please step forward.” A small sound catches her ear and she turns her head slightly to see a jaguar peering out at them through the bushes. It’s not a true jaguar though, she knows in her heart. It’s all that remains of their Jungle spirit. It’s heartening, to her at least, to have the spirit oversee the swearing in of their newest sisters, even if it can no longer grant them the tattoos of old. Her brown eyes return to the gathered mares, and she begins the words that she herself said so long ago. “Repeat after me. To the Jungle, I swear my service, to the best of my ability. To this kingdom, I swear my body and my blood. To my Sisters, I swear my loyalty and love, for all the days of my life.”

and the living are hungry.

lexa.

There's a song in your lung and a dream in your eye.

They trickle in, and she is glad to see that not all has been lost. There are still a few familiar faces among the now larger group, scattered amongst the new. She smiles as Celeana greets her, a rare smile, a true one. She presses her pale muzzle briefly against her adopted daughter's neck, grateful to have her here, to have been forgiven for her absence. ”I missed you too,” she whispers softly, her words heartfelt.

Attention returning to the matter at hand, she listens quietly to each woman's input, gaze shifting to rest on each sister in turn. When Lexa finally continues, addressing each suggestion, Joscelin focuses on her, golden gaze boldly considering.

She resists the urge to comment as Lexa talks through the pros and cons of allying with the Dale. It is true she holds some amount sentiment there, though it is purely because her brother currently holds the throne. Were he to step down, she would be much less concerned. Still, it is always a mistake to underestimate the kingdom. There is a reason none have tried to claim that particular throne by force since before her father had held the title. Their numbers might be few, but they are a powerful few.

A point which Lexa quickly makes, one that seems to be the deciding factor in her final acknowledgement.

Joscelin knows little of the recent raid and who had fought, though she does know something of the politics that have been occurring prior. So while she may not know Offspring had also fought on the side of the raiders, she does know he had allied himself with the Chamber. She is no diplomat, but she is fairly certain it is a consideration they must take into account.

”There is no reason we must be allies with the Chamber, a treaty would be sufficient.” She pauses then, considering her next words carefully. ”Unless things have recently changed, I believe the Tundra has allied themselves with the Chamber. Should we ally with them, we would, for all intents and purposes, also be doing so with the Chamber by default. It is something to consider should we choose to pursue an alliance with the Tundra.”

In truth, she cares little who they ally with beyond the Dale, so long as they are in agreement with good reasoning behind the choice. Her preference for making peace is one derived entirely from their need to avoid conflict while they grow their strength once more.

Joscelin

Tiphon x Elysteria

html c insane | picture c mikanicole.deviantart.com
    everyone thinks I'm Clever and brave

She had shifted and flown back to Beqanna as quickly as her little wings would let her. Sometimes she would come to the ground and shift back to horse form before continuing at a gallop again. Something drastic had happened! For as long as she'd been away from Beqanna, her lone quetzal tattoo had remained on her shoulder. She could often bob her head down and stare at the energetic bird as he flitted back on forth on the flower he resided on. And then suddenly, as she was grazing quietly in some foreign land, he'd disappeared. She dropped her head, sniffed at her now empty shoulder and panicked. Anyone who'd lived in Beqanna for any length of time knew of the magic and how dangerous (and sometimes fickle) it could be. Some of the horses could wield magic (like the ones who had set the Jungle ablaze not so long ago) and there were magic fairies and other creatures that enjoyed controlling the lives of the Beqannians.

She was in her equine form again as she comes to the very edges of Beqanna. She watched silently as she tried to catch her breath. From what she could see, everything seems normal. Horses are still milling about their business. Some more rushed than others - though none seemed to be as concerned as she was and there was currently no gaping flaw in the whole of Beqanna. After a pause, she shifts back to her Quetzal form and flies towards her old home. As she goes, she comes through the Tundra and some of the more central lands before flying past the tail edge of the Deserts. Her wings stretch wide and she diverts her path to fly more towards the Deserts. There are no recognizable landmarks anymore and the majority of it is covered in water with a few tiny sand dune islands sticking up here and there. Malka cannot imagine what could've caused such damage, but she is positive that it is related the the loss of her quetzal friend.

Besides other birds in the sky, there are few creatures left in the Desert and so Malka continues on her flight home. It takes her another few hours of flight, with her taking breaks when she needs them, before she reaches the edge of the Jungle. She comes down slowly, perching quickly among the trees as she listens intently for any sound that could lead her to where she wanted to be. After a moment, she picks up the light sound of voices in the distance and slipping to the ground to obtain her equine form once again, the paint mare moves to follow the sounds. It does not take her long to reach the gathering and as she looks around, she is somewhat relieved to see that none of the horses gathered are ones that she knows.

Here she was in a position where she could start over again - where no one could judge her based on her past and wrong-doings (or lack of doings at all). There were few benefits of being immortal, but this sure was one of them. She listens quietly as everyone speaks, many offering names and several offering ideas on Alliances. Malka had no clue on where anyone stood in this day and age (for she had been gone for over a decade), but knew that in the past life the Chamber had always been trouble. She doubts little had changed in that aspect as she hears the reluctant way others speak of the dark lands. She takes in everything they all have to say and nods silently in agreement in a few parts, mostly regarding treaties/alliances with the Dale/Falls - as neutral kinds though, they'd always stayed out of volatile situations by not offering warriors, but rather protection when others needed it.

And then the lead mare speaks again and Malka smiles softly. The Oath. An Oath she had said once before, more decades ago than she could remember, when her sister Echion had ruled the throne. Oh how she missed those days with Kagerou, Scorch and Echion all by her side. When the offer is laid out, Malka is the first to step forward.

"My name is Malka, and I'd like to take the Oath....," she says confidently, and in her mind, she adds a silent 'again' to her words. "To the Jungle, I swear my service, to the best of my ability. To this kingdom, I swear my body and my blood. To my Sisters, I swear my loyalty and love, for all the days of my life." When the words have slipped from her mouth, she takes a slow step back again. She wasn't sure in what aspect she would serve the Jungle - probably more diplomatic than anything as she was getting too old to be caught up in constant battles. Age had brought her much wisdom and it was that which she would offer her new sisters.

Malka

(OOC: Hi, everybody!)
    i don't love you;
    but i always will.
    More come; she looks and she listens.
    Fay comes; she lights in a way that was not thought possible of Riva, as she beams happily at her friend.
    She is content to rest amongst those that have chosen the sisterhood above all else, many of them await the new initiation rites that will constitute them as sisters and not just outsiders that haunt the Jungle’s epicenter. First, there is the matter of alliances as kingdoms are thrown out in the offering then nixed just as quickly for one reason or another. She looks to Lexa to see what the decision will be on such matters, for it all comes down to the Queen’s word in the end. They are decided on the Falls for certain, and talks of a treaty with the Dale since it seems rather lacking all around. Riva can barely stomach the mention of that horrid place, and she swallows back the bitter bile of spite that rises in her throat - she’ll make no comment in regards to the Dale and its state of affairs.

“If their king is as progressive as he seems to be, he will not let the opinions of one sway the rest. He should at least be open to discussions of an alliance, if nothing else.” It is all she offers on the matter, unable to say much in regards to the Chamber. She had come shortly after they had burned the Jungle down, or tried to anyway and she could feel nothing but tremendous ire towards them for that. Perhaps she was too easily swayed by Lagertha’s old hates, how they lingered in the back of Riva’s mind and she had not mistaken the depth of feeling in the gray mare’s voice.

The bay tovero is utterly solemn as she takes a step forward as others have just done, and she repeats the very words that Lexa had said to them --
    “To the Jungle, I swear my service, to the best of my ability. To this kingdom, I swear my body and my blood. To my sisters, I swear my loyalty and love, for all the days of my life.”
    It is done, she is sworn to them now and Riva steps back into the group of mares that make up the Amazons. She is one of them now, an Amazon and pride fills her breast, hot and fierce, like the look in her eyes.

Riva

I am not afraid.
    Celeana
    Sister after sister, the initiation starts with the oath. She doesn't hesitate in reciting words that had been passed down in generations tat each and every sister had spoken before they begun their loyalty in the Jungle. Some how she finds her self clinging to Joscelin as she had done as a child, watching as the soothing pulses of light surge through the neatly defined cracks within the mares body. Then she separates, stepping forwards with speckled lips she allows a deep exhale before reciting the oath: "To the Jungle, I swear my service, to the best of my ability. To this kingdom, I swear my body and my blood. To my sisters, I swear my loyalty and love, for all the days of my life." Celeana silences herself awaiting for something to happen but, nothing does. As she remembers all magic is gone, including magic that was tattoos.

She remains silent as she strides backwards returning to the side of her adoptive mother, some how the girl felt the need to cling to stay beside her. But she held back that childish nature and instead of leaning on the bay mare she stood a bit of a ways away. Ebony lobes swivel towards lexa as Celeana remembers of one kingdom, The Gates. "There is also the Gates. Rumor has it a new king has stepped up and they seek peace with all the surrounding kingdoms." She allows a chuckle to form in her throat, she wondered how the kingdom would be able to stand as something that had peace. If there was a war they would surely have to eventually pick sides.

Short agh!
    [Image: celeana1_zps6eonkecp.gif?w=480&h=480&fit...1483304507]

the dead are gone, and the living are hungry.

Joscelin speaks up again, and Lexa considers for a long moment before speaking up again. “What you say makes sense.” She is loathe to tie themselves to the Chamber in any way, but a treaty … a treaty would make a lot of sense. As Joscelin says, their potentially allies (the Tundra) are already allied with the Chamber. A treaty would prevent them from ever forcing the Tundra to choose between them. And while she wouldn’t trust the Chamber to keep the treaty, she could at least use the lull in hostilities between the two kingdoms to built their strength. “I will approach their king to discuss a treaty. But, if they do accept, we should not let that lull us into a false sense of security. The Chamber has broken promises before, and we should be fully prepared for them to break it in the future. But a treaty will at least give us time to build our strength, and even strengthen our potential relationship with the Tundra.” And then if the Chamber does break the treaty at some point in the future, they will seem the more reliable of the Tundra’s two allies.

God she hates politics already.

No one else voices an opinion on the Chamber, but Riva adds a last comment on the Falls. Lexa nods, agreeing, but says nothing. There’s nothing else for her to add.

Nothing else is left but the swearing in.

Her smile widens as yet another mare (another paint that she does not recognize) joins them, and steps up to be the first to take the oath. The mare (who introduces herself as Malka) is quickly followed by Riva and Celeana. When all of them have stepped up to say the words, she grins at the lot of them. “Welcome sisters, new and old.”

She lets the smile fall away, and her voice takes on a serious tone. “Now, we have a lot of work ahead of us. Get out there and recruit, mock, and steal! It’s important for us to grow … and for us to remind the rest of Beqanna that we are still a force to be reckoned with. For the moment, the Tundra, the Chamber, the Falls and the Dale are off limits, except for friendly activities. I will make sure to update you if you there are any changes there. The Gates and the Valley are fair game. She pauses, taking a breath. “Now, I have some diplomatic trips to take. Is there anyone that would like to accompany me?”

lexa

Hokay, I only need two diplomats, one for the Falls and one for the Chamber. The Dale and Tundra have already come to visit us. Smile

Also, question for you all. How would you like to organize promotions and what not? Do you want a point system here too? You can just reply ooc if you want. Smile
    I'm at work and will drumup a post tomorrow, but Malka will go to visit the Falls.

I've always liked the point system as it gives a clear expectation for moving up. I do feel though that each rank should have harder goals to move up and that there should be done kind of "test" before achieving higher ranks (quality over quantity)
    Celeana will accompany Lexa to the Chamber. Smile
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Heda • Vecna • Vilja