• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Do or Do Not, There is No Try-[Any]

The painted stallion shook his body as he reached the entrance of the Falls, he just returned from a morning patrol of the kingdom, he stood at the heart of the kingdom listening to the waterfall as it cleared his mind. He was so confused, his golden vixen returned from over a year of disappearance but has yet to return to the Falls lands. And than there was Sunfall, the newest warrior in the kingdom, so innocent but he hadn't seen her in a while either. After a few moments of standing in his own thoughts he deciding to truly clear his mind, everything would fall in place should they.

He moved closer to water, stopping once he reached the lip of the base, lowering his neck he drank the cool water. It slid down his throat refreshing his quench, his head flicked to the right as he watched a pair of squirrels wrestle with each other. The squealed loudly probably causing some sort of harm to each other, it looked more like a fight than it did wrestling. Such weird creatures, he moved to face the scenery behind him as he heard the presence of another. 

JEDI

THE JOURNEY IS YOURS.

image © Lisa Dijk
    Raxa gave her body a good shake once again to get rid of the mass amount of snow accumulating there. At this point, she might as well be considered a roan appaloosa, rather than the quarter horse she truly was. The brindled horse felt proud of her blood, even if the ones leading down to it had disgraced her at a level beyond forgiving.

She'd been wandering the territory for some time now, just searching through the snow for food. Her muzzle was frigid from the white powder, but she'd managed to find some grass that would last her a little while. Her hunger was sated, for now. She grew angry at the thought of when she would get hungry again. A horse, a warrior, like her, needed to eat to keep up his/her strength to defend his/her home. If Raxa couldn't eat enough food, she wouldn't be strong enough to protect the kingdom. And if that happened...

The tree line broke, exposing the river in front of the mare. It had lost its healing powers, but she did not care. She did not want her scars healed. Also, this river seemed to take longer to freeze than the others in the territory, so at least it was still good for something.

Raxa's blue eyes spotted a horse standing by the river. It was a stallion, her fellow member of the warrior caste, Jedi. The two horses were on relatively good terms, if not friends, then at least comrades in battle. Raxa respected the paint stallion for his strength and cunning when faced with a fight, and would accept his help in fight, as well as aid him should he ever need it.

The brindled roan briefly glanced at Jedi as she approached the river, lowering her head to take a drink. Right before her lips broke the glass-like surface of the water, her eyes drifted up, though her head stayed low and turned to the river.

"Hey Jedi. Enjoying the winter?" she asked. Raxa dipped her muzzle into the water, taking in a long sip, ignoring how the frigid liquid almost burned her throat as it slid down to quench her thirst.

He might be getting older but his ears did not lie to him, someone did approach and it was Raxa. It was surprising to see the mare, she generally did not like the presence of others, and was quick with the tongue. Although she was on the bad side of many, it was his job to put the odds aside, and all odds aside Raxa was nice. She loved her kingdom and was a damn good warrior, she was always busy doing something, which he could appreciate.

She gave a greeting and he dipped his head in response Good Morning Raxa, I much prefer the spring but I can't complain to much he was optimistic and was glad to be given another day of life. He watched as she moved to the water to drink You're about ready for a promotion now huh? he asked with a smile, they weren't the best of friends so he did not know what else to talk about. There warrior caste was common grounds, he pawed at the ground moving some snow around, enough grass for the two to have a snack. He looked at her and than to the grass before lowering his head to grab a mouthful for himself.

JEDI

THE JOURNEY IS YOURS.

image © Lisa Dijk

@[Raxa]
    "Winter is better in my opinion. It means that those jerk stallions will leave us alone for another year," she said. Her gaze went to Jedi, her ear flicking back and forth, "Sorry."

She hadn't meant to insult him. She was quick with her tongue, as Jedi probably knew, and she didn't have many friends. She did prefer to be alone. However, with Jedi, it was different. He was a respectable comrade, and showed her the respect she gave to him in return. He was reliable, loyal, and proper to the horses he encountered. Even if she may never call him a friend (no matter if he called her one), he was a comrade. One she didn't mind being around as long as he wasn't being an ass.

Jedi asked her another question, this time, to do with her rank. Raxa shrugged, "Dunno. I've never bothered to keep track of that stuff. As long as I can keep practicing and defend my home, I'm fine where I am," she explained.

Raxa watched Jedi paw at the ground, brushing the snow aside and exposing the grass underneath. He glanced up at her before grabbing a mouthful of grass. Raxa was a bit touched by the fact that he was kind enough to move the grass so they could both have a snack. Something good, considering she was still a little hungry.

"Thanks," she told the paint, lowering her head to munch on the grass. She made sure to keep her head a respectable distance, not wanting to intrude on his space, finding it a little awkward when she moved her head to get more grass.

"How have things been for you these past seasons? Any other foals to tell about besides that palomino colt?" she asked. Raxa didn't know what had happened to Ashara and Cicero, only that they had spent some time away from the Falls. She'd heard rumors they had come back, but beyond that, nothing else had reached her ears.

@[Jedi]

He listened to the fellow warrior as she spoke about the winter, glad that stallions wouldn't hound her down. He gave a small laugh to brake the tension created No worries he muttered, he knew Raxa's personality and it wasn't a direct blow to him.

He cocked his eye looking at the mare, she stated she did not care about rank. Although it was nice to hear someone not driven by rank, it was also something that created strong rulers. That kept equines desired to progress and protect, but most importantly the higher ranking they got the more respectable they were in the eyes of the new warriors. It was important to grow in the ranks, as admirable as it was that she did not mind he hoped that she would be more interested, for the sake of the kingdom. Ahh, I see is all that he manage to mutter out Well, I look forward to seeing your progression.

She made her way over to his spot that he dug out, the grass that peaked out, more than enough for the two to enjoy. She thanked him and he gave a small nod with a smile before returning to his afternoon snack. She created a new conversation, this one about any foals aside from Cicero which he couldn't help but laugh. Oh Cicero is not mine, I have no offspring to speak of, hopefully in the future he smiled, he had a mare in his sights from the kingdom but he was not sure how she felt towards him. Do you plan to have any foals Raxa? he asked, it was odd that the two did not have any yet, it was not like they were young foals anymore, and new foals were being produced every year now.

JEDI

THE JOURNEY IS YOURS.

image © Lisa Dijk

@[Raxa]
    Raxa started a moment, swallowing the mouthful of grass she'd nearly choked on when Jedi explained Cicero was not his. The brindled mare looked at the paint a bit sheepishly, almost as if embarrassed, though such an emotion was carefully hidden behind the blue veil of her eyes, "Oh, sorry. I thought he was, since you hung around him and Ashara so much."

When Jedi asked Raxa if she herself planned to have any foals, the mare honestly didn't know what to say, for a moment anyways. She looked at her hooves, "I... I don't know, honestly. I didn't have the best... upbringing," she said, choosing to keep hidden what she could, "I know most of it is all about instinct, but, given how I am, I don't know if I'll be a good mother. I'm not like Anahi, or Nitika, or Ashara, or Ygritte, or the other mares I've seen raising their foals. I'm... different, though I'm pretty sure that's a light way of putting it."

The mare swallowed another mouthful of grass, "So, different subject, what is the news with Ashara? Pretty much everyone here is confused about what's going on. Has she returned to the kingdom?'

@[Jedi]

He gazed to the mare who seemed embarrassed about mentioning Cicero, he lowered his head to grab another mouthful of grass. She apologized and he raised his head Don't sweat it, I'm as much a father to him as he'll ever know. Just not by blood he smiled but deep down his heart broke for his family that vanish from the lands.

The mare than answered the rest of his question, she didn't know if she wanted any foals, because she wasn't sure if she would be a good mother. He moved closer to the mare and nudged her shoulder you'd be a fine mother Raxa. Maybe strict, but there's nothing wrong with that, if you raised a colt he would be a fine warrior one day he smiled thinking about a little foal running around that belonged to Raxa. She might be good at hiding her emotions but every mare wanted a foal, it was instinctual.

They enjoyed there snack before silence was broken, this time Raxa asked about Ashara. He swallowed the grass that was in his mouth and took a moment to think, his heart broke for his dear friend who vanished. She appeared recently but he has not seen her since, he gave a shrug to Raxa I've seen her recently, but I can't say that she is back. he tried to sound as non-depressed as possible I do hope that she comes back though his voice got more joyous thinking about the return of his friend. Although the golden vixen disappeared a few years ago it did not stop Jedi. He now holds the highest rank in the kingdom for warriors and was proud of his own accomplishments.

JEDI

THE JOURNEY IS YOURS.

image © Lisa Dijk

@[Raxa]
    Raxa had to admit, it was admirable of Jedi to raise Cicero like he was the foal's own sire. If she remembered correctly, a long time ago, when she was a foal, a mare and her own colt had been brought into the herd, and her sire, the leader, had treated the young one like his own son. Of course, he'd quickly started favoring him over other offspring, but Raxa didn't care. She'd had enough to deal with at that time.

The mare felt Jedi nudge her shoulder, and she did tense a little, but not as much as she had when she'd first arrived. Raxa hated to admit it, but these horses were getting to her. They were becoming her, dare she say it, friends, if not just comrades on the battlefield, or worthy kingdom members that dealt with the politics. She didn't know if she'd openly admit she had friends here, but, well, she was starting to consider it.

Jedi had proven himself a couple of times. Perhaps he'd be the first one she'd admit, out loud, to being a friend. And Raxa's friendship was nearly impossible to attain.

"Ha, I'm strict? Tell me what you really think," she joked, letting out a tiny chuckle. She glanced away a moment, her long mane tumbling down the side of her neck, masking the white patch. Her dual-colored mane, a mismatch of rusty red roan and snowy white, along with her oddly-colored forelock of red with a white streak, fell into her eyes, and she gave her head a shake to get rid of it.

She had felt the instincts burning inside her every autumn, for the mare to go meet a stallion and have a foal start forming in her belly. She'd fought the instinct every time, along with the stallions that tried to come onto her at that time. She didn't know if she'd ever be ready, or if she ever wanted a foal. Jedi's words offered encouragement, but not a lot.

Once her blue eyes were unmasked, she turned to Jedi once more, listening to what he had to say about Ashara. He tried to hide it, but Raxa, who was practically an expert of masking her emotions, saw through Jedi's facade. He hated the fact that Ashara was gone, a beautiful mare that he clearly loved.

The brindle cleared her throat, "I think she'll come back soon Jedi; she's got too much here to just give it up. She's got a family, friends, and a good home waiting for her. You can't give up on love just yet; in case you haven't noticed, when you speak of her, it's quite obvious, so don't deny it. Just don't give up. Keep hoping she'll come back, and I guarantee, it'll come true one day," Raxa encouraged, giving the paint a somewhat gentle-as-she-cloud-muster smile before she lowered her head to graze again.

@[Jedi]

He scanned over the red mare who had so many secrets that she hid. She wasn't mean like most thought, she had secrets that she wouldn't share, he didn't mention it but it would be best to take the load off her shoulders. Everyone had a past they didn't share with everyone but Raxa had more, there was a reason she was the way she was. But that did not deter Jedi from being her friend, he didn't mind the attitude, he was pretty hard to get angered, unless he gets bit by a random mare for doing nothing.

She laughed at his remark of her being strict, which might be the first time he has ever seen the mare laugh. It couldn't help but curl a smile on his lips, happy to see the mare enjoying herself more and more everyday. His head looked off in the distance, taking in the cool breeze that brushed his pelt, lifting his mane off his neck. He turned back to see the mares mane fall to the side, revealing the blue eyes she held, odd he has never seen her eye color before.

She went on to talk about Ashara, that she would come back because everything she has here, which is true. But than she spoke about not giving up on love, and she could see his love for Ashara, it was true that he once loved Ashara but his golden vixen shared a secret with him, one that changed his mind forever. They were now best friends, he moved on from her and found a mate of his own but when she foaled a stillborn she too disappeared and was never to be seen again. He shook his head in disagreement with Raxa I love Ashara, as a friend, but nothing more. I would love for her to return to the kingdom, she was a great diplomat for us. He gave a sigh as he looked off to the side I never felt the need to breed with everyone, I am looking more for a lifetime mate, I will find her eventually a small chuckle escaped his lips at the cheesy words that just came from his mouth.

JEDI

THE JOURNEY IS YOURS.

image © Lisa Dijk

@[Raxa]
    Raxa noticed Jedi smile when she laughed, which drew a curious glance from the mare, "Something odd about the way I laugh? Although I gotta admit, it wouldn't surprise me. It's been a while since I've laughed... it felt, good, actually."

The brindle seemed surprised that Jedi had moved on from the palomino. She figured he had loved Ashara as more than a friend. Well, he had, but after she'd moved on, it seemed natural that he eventually would too. Still, Raxa seemed surprised; she wouldn't have thought that Jedi would lose his love for Ashara, ever.

When Jedi spoke of his idea of finding a lifetime mate, the mare laughed again, this time a bit more surprised than the one before, "Forgive me for saying that sounds ludicrous, but I have never heard of such a thing, nor a mare searching for such a thing. Why hang onto hope for something that little are interested in? As it seems here, the mares don't seem to mind who they breed with unless they are really attached to a stallion.

"So, why, I guess is my question," Raxa inquired. She didn't know why she was being so snoopy, but she had to admit, she was curious. She'd hardly ever heard of a stallion, or a mare, who was searching for a lifetime partner. The few she had heard of, it never worked out; hearts had been broken, including one of a horse Raxa had known as a foal. Seeing that, it had literally made the foal scared to fall in love.

That, combined with her upbringing, created a creature that was terrified, but still hoping for, deep within her heart, a family life.

@[Jedi]