• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

the stillness settles in my lungs; any

The quiet bothers her, so she leaves home.

Not forever, but for a spell.  Perhaps even a long stretch.  Zosma isn’t sure when she started considering the golden fields of Heaven’s Gates home.  She doesn’t know the exact nanosecond when the towering Mother Tree had become more than a simple beacon guiding her movements within the kingdom.  She only knows that as she leaves the place, she glances back over her broad shoulder, silently promising that she’ll return.

But the quiet does nothing for her.

It reminds her of the blustery days.  The snow had gathered on the wild hills in heaps.  It had fallen around her, too, catching in the silver loops and knots of her mane and tail.  Beautiful, her mother had said through the tears not yet turned to ice.  You’ve always been my beautiful girl.  She hadn’t known the darkness striking through her daughter like a bullet, penetrating her thoughts first and guiding her actions later.  She couldn’t have seen the violence and blood stirring and pooling in the girl’s mind; she was blind to the fact that Zosma’s innocence was taking the same trajectory as the snow.

She was beautiful still to her mother.  And for a time, it was almost enough.

The snow is more hesitant now.  It feels feather-light as it falls across her back, making her already white coat even more stark.  She walks as the storm gathers, watches as it moves closer and unloads itself on the distant trees.  It doesn’t slow her when it begins to gather on the ground.  Her pace is only hindered by the sudden lack of visibility.  That, and the fact that she doesn’t exactly know where she is going.  Due south, she reminds herself, righting feet that were heading too far left.  To The Meadow.  To the place where she had first entered the famous lands of Beqanna.  To the expanse where she had met a man made of glass, had seen every muscle and tendon exposed to the open, sunlight sky.  To the new beginning she had made for herself.

She sniffs at the snow-clogged air when she thinks she is close.  Just through the last layer of weighed-down trees.  The Spanish mare dodges the trees, but instead of the flatland stretching away into the distance, she sees only trees.  Trees, and a few horses weaving their way through the dense foliage up ahead.  Her heart constricts when she remembers the copse.  She remembers his eyes, mostly.  The predator-gleam that had sent electric pulses through her, that had told her to run or forfeit your life.  Zosma was no runner.  She sacrificed a part of her life instead, promised to be good and quiet.  She had walked from the thicket lessened.

A shadow passes overhead and the woman presses her eyes together, stifling the instinct to abandon her journey.  It is only a crow.  She sees when she opens her eyes after a long moment, letting her held breath out from between clenched lips.  Her eyes quickly adjust to the darkness, and she feels better for it. The forest is vast and quiet (but not as much as home).  She thinks she will find company yet.  The ragged mare takes a final, steadying breath and moves further into the woods.  Beautiful, she convinces herself as the snow filters through the treetops to cover the limbs and logs.  Beautiful, she thinks, as the shadows fill in all around her when day edges closer to night.  

z o s m a

When a sinister person means to be your enemy, they always start by trying to become your friend
    I was so tired. I don't know when I have last slept. When I do I remember the nightmare of the wolves eating my family and wonder if perhaps it wasn't true. Grumble had released me. I dreamt of him often as well. I still felt confused about him, did I love him? Or did I hate him? He had gifted me with the ability to change my size for enlarging myself early to protect him better. But...He had taken me from my home and broken something in me. Something that I didn't know how to fix.

When I had returned home, they all had been gone. Grandfather and a few of the mares I had seen around. And...and Mom. Mom was gone. Panic had followed and I had taken to the skies like I had been born there. Like Mother hadn't been making me wait some until I was a little bit stronger, a little bit tougher. Wasn't that a laugh. Now I was both but I had to learn without her, learn things that no one should have ever known.

The only hope I had was that there hadn't been the smell of old blood in our home (but how long had I been gone, could the seasons have washed away the smell of it) or any old corpses. I hadn't found any bones, nothing that indicated that someone had died. That was the one thing keeping me sane. It was keeping me from leaving to find them, but if they came home I had to be here..so Mother would know.

I occasionally went back to the Cove to check. Or to leave my scent.

I found myself in the Forest today, my walk slow. I wanted to sleep, but the nightmares, the dreams. No, I couldn't. Just keep moving. It's in a daze that I move, unaware of the snow on the ground, or the way some of the flakes manage to float down through the few openings in the trees. My wings are curled against my sides for warmth, some inner guide keeping me alive. I did most things on autopilot. I would until I slept again.

A crunch of a branch broken makes my ears flicker and I turn in the direction it came from to see a white mare. She was so plain next to my coloring. So plain in general. I don't think I had seen anyone before so washed out. My interest is piqued and I move towards her. I manage to pick my head up, and my hooves so I look more....just more instead of some tired nag. That's okay when I was by myself but when I found someone else I had to look the part. I had to be....proud. I couldn't be broken down and weak.

Grandfather's words. Mother's words.

So I did. I manage to even meet the girl's eyes even if she does seem a little down herself. "Hello girl." My voice surprises me. It has been sometime since I had spoken to someone else....since Grumble...and since I had screamed to the skies for my family. It was rough, scratchy and I had to clear my throat before I continued to speak. "What are you doing?"

c h a o l