Beqanna
Catch my heart on a string [Reave] - Printable Version

+- Beqanna (https://beqanna.com/forum)
+-- Forum: OOC (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=81)
+---- Forum: Lands (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=98)
+----- Forum: Nerine (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=91)
+------ Forum: Taiga (https://beqanna.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=86)
+------ Thread: Catch my heart on a string [Reave] (/showthread.php?tid=28736)

Pages: 1 2

Catch my heart on a string [Reave] - Memorie - 01-14-2021

one lives in hope of becoming a memory

It had been a couple of months, now, and yet the darkness persisted. Along with it came rumors…rumors of monsters roaming the lands. Even so, I walked with a little more confidence in my steps now, thanks to the nifty gift that Grodylin had imparted upon me, the strange creature who had nearly crushed me beneath his large feet. Despite the confidence, there was still a limp in my legs from the fall I’d taken before meeting him, and my body still ached in places that I had hardly thought about before the fall.

Mother had been beside herself with worry when I’d returned from my great, big adventure. She had riled up Yanhua to scour the forest for me, and he had found my trail of emotional memories meant to lead me home. So I found him halfway back, searching for me, and though I was proud of myself for the journey I’d completed, he had a nice little lecture to fill my ears for the rest of the journey home. Something about not wandering off and scaring my already stressed mother half to death. Since then, I had confined myself to the Taigan woods, which was proving less exciting with each passing day.

The socks on my legs glow dimly in the absence of light surrounding me, illuminating the path just enough that I could see where I was going. I was in a familiar grove of trees, which isn’t unusual, since I had spent a great deal of time exploring the forest with father’s other children, Reynard and Cheri, though I couldn’t see it for what it had once been. I curse the darkness that shrouds us in the middle of the day (or was it?).

I move to the edge a small clearing to peer up at the sky. There it was, the sun, blocked by the moon so that no light could reach us. When I shift my eyes back to the world around me, I could see something moving in the distance. As father had taught me, I gently reach out into the void, feeling for any hint of an emotional memory, but whoever it was moving in the distance, I couldn’t glean anything from. So, curious, I make my way in that direction until I’m closer and can see the outline of a similarly sized figure to mine. It must be one of the other foals that roamed Taiga, and by the scent in the air, it wasn’t one of the ones I’d met before. 

“Hello,” I say, casually. As I move closer, I can just make out the red and white patches covering his slender frame. “Are you @[Reave]?” I had heard his name a few times here and there on my journeys through the woods. I knew he was the adopted son of my grandmother, Lilliana, but I didn’t know much more than that (but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t curious about him nonetheless).

memorie

Photo by Saffu from Unsplash

RE: Catch my heart on a string [Reave] - Reave - 01-15-2021

He drifts from the outer edges of the Taigan forest, breath still steadying from what he had seen beyond. The darkness covering the land had brought horror and destruction along with it. A vision of endless tragedy that Reave had not been fully prepared to find. It’s strange to find comfort here in the darkness where monsters too lurk, but after the brightness of the unforested regions beyond, it feels almost comforting. Outside these trees where the pale rim of light around the moon still provided some illumination, it had seemed almost blindingly bright (especially to his night-adjusted vision).

But he is not left long to dwell on what he had seen. Instead his thoughts are interrupted by muffled footsteps, and soon a faint glow is visible through the trees. The glow is as much a reassurance as the sight he had sent winging ahead to discover just who (or what) might be approaching him.

It takes him a moment to recognize the chestnut and blue, to place the image of her against the list of names and faces he’d learned from his mother and many relations. Memorie. Ironically enough. Though they hadn’t met before, she is easy to place as one of the few who he still needed to.

His ears flick as she greets him by asking if he was Reave, blue eyes bright and curious in the darkness. Though he can see her clearly enough with his self-enhanced sight, he steps closer so that she might be able to do the same. “I am,” he replies simply to her inquiry. “Which must make you Memorie.”

As he says it however, a faint frown begins to tug at his lips. He had seen her through her siblings' sight, but there is something different about her. She is not how they had remembered her. She glows.

And Reave, still too caught up in youth to be given to a great deal of tact, blurts abruptly, “What happened to you?”

reave

@[Memorie]

RE: Catch my heart on a string [Reave] - Memorie - 01-15-2021

As I drew closer to the strange figure, I started to glean the very subtle changes that come from others’ emotional memories. The other foal seemed slightly…disturbed. That was the best way I could think of it. With that feeling comes a picture of the wide open world outside of Taiga where the dim light made it easier to see. Why this disturbed him, I don’t quite understand.

As quickly as the echo had come, it was gone again, pulled away by his distracted thoughts upon hearing someone moving toward him. I am not surprised. This was often the case when I was prying in on other’s emotions, and I’d grown quite used to it. So I shrug it off as I move closer to where I could see him in the shadows. It is darker here among the redwoods, so actually being able to see him is difficult until I’m closer.

The colt confirms that he is indeed the son of my grandmother. I give him a smile that I’m not sure he could see (since I don’t know about his vision manipulation). Even still, it is a comfort to me to welcome him so. He knows me, too. This is not a surprise. Taiga was big, but their family was close. Word traveled quickly around here. No doubt Lilliana has taught him much about those that live within these woods.

I was just about to tell him that it’s good to finally meet him, not knowing what else to say, when he suddenly blurts out a question. The question strikes me as odd, and I have to look down at myself to make sure there wasn’t something wrong with me. “What–” I begin, just about to ask him what he means, but then I realize that maybe he is talking about my glowing markings. After all, this is quite new to me. “Oh, do you mean these?” I pick up my hooves in a little dance, turning a tight circle, showing off the glowing markings. “I met the most unusual creature who–” I falter, not knowing how to explain what Grodylin had done. “Well, he gave me these glowing markings.”

memorie

RE: Catch my heart on a string [Reave] - Reave - 02-08-2021

He has never been accused of having a great deal of tact. And most certainly never of having developed much in the way of critical thinking. The day would undoubtedly come that he would need to do so, but for now he is simply a child living the careless life of youth, buoyed by the easy acceptance of all those he’d encountered so far.

With the darkness as little obstacle for him, it is easy to pick up on the things that might otherwise be missed. He frequently forgets that his sight has been enhanced, that not everyone has his talent with vision. He only remembers when he steals into others visual memories, the darkness of the world a blunt reminder. Of course, many of the animals he encounters have sight suited much better to the darkness than a horse (a discovery he’d made almost immediately upon the descent of this endless night and co-opted to his own ends), but it is frustrating when he does find one that is not so well suited.

At the moment however, that is neither here nor there. She seems confused by his blunt question, causing his brows to furrow as his lips slip into a frown. But then clarity seems to strike and she offers a rather excited explanation, even going so far as the prance in a circle to better display her glowing limbs.

Tilting his head, Reave eyes her curiously, mind catching on the mention of a most unusual creature. If there is anything certain to catch his attention, it is the unusual. “What kind of creature?” he asks, barely keeping himself from interrupting her. “Was it a monster?” It is undoubtedly impolite of him to probe so much, but curiosity drives him far more than politeness ever has. So much so that almost immediately on the heels of his as yet unanswered questions, he presses for more. “What did he do? Did it hurt?”

reave

@[Memorie] sorry for the wait! I somehow missed you reply in my last to do

RE: Catch my heart on a string [Reave] - Memorie - 02-14-2021

Even in the darkness, I could see the interest light up his features. Though, perhaps my eyes were reacting more to the suddenly sensation of interest that emanates from the young colt. The mention of Grodylin had brought him to attention unlike my glowing markings. I smile knowingly. If I were him, listening to a fellow foal’s account of meeting a strange creature in the darkness, I, too, would have been curious. I did not, however, find his curiosity to be impolite or anything of the sort. In fact, it made him more relatable.

I laugh, a soft sound that rings pleasantly into the darkness. “He most certainly was not a monster.” I had not yet had an encounter with one of these so-called monsters that new roamed Beqanna, but I had heard enough about them, though. They were dark shapes that blended well with the shadows. They were smooth and silent, attacking out of nowhere. Grodylin had been the exact opposite.

“His name was Grodylin,” I start. “He was the most…unusual creature! He was big. Like, very big.” I throw my head up in the air, as if motioning would give @[Reave] an impression of how tall he was. “He was fat and shaggy and standing on two feet. He had a beak and something like a turtle shell on his back.” I had not gotten a terribly good look at him, so it’s hard to remember exactly what he looked like, but that was the best I could do to explain Grodylin to the colt.

As for what he did, I stop for a moment, considering the question. “Well, he kind of…breathed on me.” I laugh slightly, because this does sound kind of awkward. “It didn’t hurt. It kind of…tingled. My whole body felt, like, warm and fuzzy. It almost felt the same as connecting with the flora when mama and I use our flora revival to grow the forest or the grasses. It changed things in the very deepest recesses of my body. And then I started to glow, like papa!” I dance in place again, proud of my glowing markings.

memorie

RE: Catch my heart on a string [Reave] - Reave - 02-18-2021

It only occurs to Reave belatedly that he did not, in fact, need to ask what the creature she had encountered looked like. He could see it for himself. To the young colt, it feels very much like an egregious oversight on his part. As she launches into her story however, he discovers she shares things that could not otherwise be found through his other sight-thieving means (though that doesn’t stop him from actually looking when she takes a breath for more words of course).

The creature she describes is strange indeed, made even stranger by what she had actually seen. Her excitement hovers around her, a veritable aura of memories ringing with her thrill, trepidation, and awe.

“He breathed on you,” he muses, eyes curiously watchful as he mulls over what she had just shared. “That sounds awfully… damp.” He wrinkles his nose at that, not sure he wished to imagine what the damp breath of a creature like that smelled like. Naturally though, he can’t seem to help himself. “Was it smelly?”

He is a far less eloquent creature than his cousin, as he has already amply demonstrated. But as she waxes poetic about the growth of plants and changes heralding a new and useful glow, the best Reave can seem to manage in the way of insightful conversation is ‘was it smelly’. Not that he notices these things, young and ultimately self-absorbed as he is.

“He seems like a useful sort,” he replies candidly after Memorie has done a second little dance. “Do you think he’d come breath of some of the trees around here? We could use some glowing trees I think.”

reave

@[Memorie]

RE: Catch my heart on a string [Reave] - Memorie - 02-27-2021

Just as it hadn’t occurred to Reave to utilize his vision manipulation to see the image within my mind, it hadn’t occurred to me to send a visual echo to him, either, though it certainly would have made things easier than telling him. Still, the excitement of being able to recount the experience with someone felt good, nonetheless, so even if, in hindsight, I had thought about sending him an echo of the encounter, I am glad to be able to tell him.

I laugh when the colt reiterates back to me that Grodylin had breathed on me, and I am slightly caught off guard by his next question. Had it been damp? I play through the events in my memory, quickly so as to not make him wait for an answer. I laugh first, though, and then I say, “yes, actually. Now that I think of it, it was very…damp.” Now that I actually thought about it, I can feel the warm, damp breath on my skin. It sends a creeping sensation through my body, and I shake myself to get it off before laughing again.

Was it smelly? His next question takes me off guard just as much as the first. “No,” I reminisce, “Actually, it was quite…pleasant, now that I think about it.” I try to think about what the smell was like. I had not thought about it previously, but now that Reave had mentioned it, I realize that it had reminded me of something, and now I can’t quite place my finger on it. My eyes roll back into my head as I try to think about it. Then, as if something just clicked into place, it comes to me. “Oh! It smelled like papa!”

Somehow, this seemed kind of weird, now that I thought about it, but at the same time, it made sense. The gift that had lain dormant within my genes was a gift I had received from him, after all, despite the difference in color.

I laugh again when Reave asks if I think that Grodylin could come breathe on some of the trees. Somehow, I doubt this would work, though I had heard mother and father quietly discussing the possibility of bringing giant, glowing mushrooms to the redwood forest. “I don’t know about trees, but pretty soon we might see some big, glowing mushrooms.” I wink at him, though I’m unsure he would see it in the darkness (mostly because I don’t know he can manipulate his vision to see in these shadows). “But, if you’d like, maybe sometime we could go on an adventure to find Grodylin again?” @[Reave] seemed interested enough in the molflyn, and I am already ready for my next adventure to begin, even though the first had just ended, and I was still feeling the residual aches and pains that came along with it.

memorie

RE: Catch my heart on a string [Reave] - Reave - 03-01-2021

To Memorie’s credit, she makes no comment on the absurdity of his own musings. There were many other things he might ask, the majority far more inspired than damp and smelly. But, most certainly not to Reave’s credit, he finds this information much more fascinating than any of the other dozen things he might have asked. Even if it does make him wrinkle his nose.

In fact, her description causes so much nose wrinkling, one could be forgiven for imagining it could become a permanent feature on his face. But as she tries to recall why it had smelled so familiar, Reave tilts his head, eyeing her with open curiosity. When she suddenly remembers and informs him - quite excitedly - that it had smelled like her papa, Reave can’t seem to temper the incredulous expression that crosses his features just before a laugh bursts abruptly from his lips.

He’s not quite certain whether it’s funnier that her father smells like a giant, shaggy, turtle-backed creature or that his imagination immediately wants to place Yanhua into the role disguised as Grodylin. “Are you sure it wasn’t your dad?” he asks breathlessly, still trying to contain his laughter. “Maybe he has a penchant for moonlighting as big hairy beasts.”

Unable to help himself, Reave starts laughing all over again, nearly doubling over as he tries to contain it. He entirely misses her wink in his mirth, but her suggestion that they might soon have big glowing mushrooms does catch his attention. His laughter is immediately stifled as he straightens, ears pricking in abrupt curiosity. “Really?”

The thought of glowing mushrooms soon dotting these woods proves quite imagination catching. Enough that he nearly forgets his amusement from only moments earlier. At least, until Memorie suggests they depart on an adventure to find Grodylin. The prospect sounds wildly intriguing, but Reave can’t seem to help the teasing rejoinder that almost immediately escapes his lips. “Oh, you mean your dad?”

His lips twitch in his effort to hold in his suddenly renewed laughter, but Reave, never terribly good at holding himself back, soon finds himself wheezing once more.

reave

@[Memorie]

RE: Catch my heart on a string [Reave] - Memorie - 03-05-2021

I must admit, Reave’s expression throws me off quite a bit with the incredulous expression and his sudden burst of laughter. I’m not quite sure what he is laughing about, which causes me to laugh hesitantly, like I’m in on the joke. But then he asks if I’m sure it wasn’t my dad. I give him a look that I must have given Reynard a hundred times by now, the sarcastic look that says “haha, very funny.” Boys are all the same, so literal, amused by the oddest things, and immature. At this thought, I roll my eyes at him, even though, secretly, I am highly amused by the idea of father moonlighting as a big, hairy beast.

“Yes, I’m sure.” In fact, I’m sure that there is a reason that Grodylin’s breath had smelled like Yanhua, and I would say so, just to shut Reave up. “Actually, it smelled like dad because I got the unexpressed gift of glowing markings from my him, and Grodylin was just using his magic to bring that out in me. So, technically, it was the magic I was smelling,” I say, matter-of-factly.

Still, there feels like more I should say there, so I look at him, dead serious, and then, “But I do wonder where dad gets off to when he disappears into the night. Maybe you are right. Maybe he is moonlighting as a big, hairy beast?” I laugh, though this time it is with true merriment, and not the hesitant laugh from earlier.

@[Reave] seems interested in the glowing mushrooms, perhaps just as interested as he’d seemed to learn of Grodylin, which peaks my curiosity for just a moment before he makes the quip about my dad, which cracks me up. But when I’m done laughing, I return back to the idea of the mushrooms, and suddenly a thought occurs to me that brings a mischievous grin to my lips. “Yeah, glowing mushrooms,” I reiterate, “And when they do, I dare you to take a bite of one. I hear there are poisonous mushrooms, edible mushrooms, and hallucinogenic mushrooms. Care to find out what they’ll be?” Never mind the fact that father’s intentions would bring all manner of glowing mushrooms to Taiga, so we would probably get all three. If this worked, though, maybe Reave could be the guinea pig to find out which ones are which.

Memorie

Image by Calcifer

RE: Catch my heart on a string [Reave] - Reave - 03-08-2021

Reave is not quite silly enough to actually believe what he is saying of course. But given the opportunity, he hadn’t been able to resist teasing her about it. He’s delighted when she shifts from exasperation to genuine amusement, even if she too can’t seem to resist the urge to try and set him straight. Her explanation is a perfectly logical one, but at the moment, Reave is hardly interested in logic. It is far more imagination catching to picture his elder brother as a shaggy hunchback, not to mention hilarious. The alternative just seems rather… boring after that.

And if there is a boy his age would try to avoid with all his might, it’s boredom.

So he shakes his head in response to her explanation, still chortling. “But are you absolutely sure?” he asks, prodding her towards his (admittedly outlandish) theory. “Technically, maybe your father likes wearing turtle shells.”

He bursts into laughter again, which is only expounded when she finally gives in and begins musing on his theory with a genuine laugh of her own.

As is the way of youth however, they find themselves quickly moving on to a new subject, albeit a slightly less amusing (if no less fascinating) one. Jokes about her father aside, the prospect of new flora sprouting up amidst the giant sequoias and hardy evergreens is intriguing. She confirms news of the glowing mushrooms, causing Reave to twist his head around to peer at their surroundings, trying to imagine how that might look.

Memorie’s foray into a teasing question of her own brings his attention swiftly back to her, a grin quickly returning to his lips, fighting against the moue that wants to take its placel (leading to what is an undoubtedly odd expression). “Ladies first!” he quips quickly back, eyes crinkling in amusement, lips twitching, as he turns that challenge right back at her. “What kind of gentleman would I be otherwise?”

reave

@[Memorie]