• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  I can't afford fire, but I keep myself warm; any

Kaite
    my nerves are turned on. I hear them like musical instruments.
    where there was silence the drums, the strings are incurably playing.
    The world has changed since last she walked it, but some things never change. This place seems to remain a constant, though the rest of Beqanna has been reshaped. She had not come here first – curiosity had driven her on restless winds to run the length of the world, or at least, from end to end and end to end again of the mainland. The familiar places of her time are gone, and the lithe little mare has no reason to believe that any familiar faces remain either. Kaite has no real recollection of the many decades when she was beyond the veil, but she did not lose the sense of the passing of time.

Her body feels young again, not ravaged by the age she had attained before she died, and her soul calls out for her to keep exploring, that perhaps somewhere on this giant island she will find some remains of her family, or of the Brotherhood. The little mare would gladly succumb to those urges, except she is knows already that she is not alone. The thoughts of the children sheltered somewhere under her ribcage are not yet coherent, but they are vibrantly alive. She does not want to fend entirely for herself when she grows unbearably large with the burden of the twin souls inside herself, so finding a home before winter has taken on a new urgency. Once they are born and mobile on their own, then perhaps she can take them seeking.

For now, her heart beats with the resolve to find a safe haven before the weather turns into howling winds and snowfall. The pregnancy itself is unexpected and somewhat disgruntling. The shock of being dragged across the tattered veil back into the land of the living had left her in a daze, and every experience in the flesh had been newly intense, as if she’d never lived the first time. He had found her half-collapsed into the sand after galloping from the east coast of the land to the west, and his touch had made her hungry for more and more. Kaite had been half-drowned when her mind cleared of lust and she started to hear his thoughts, and that had been when she had struggled free and fled back towards the familiar interior of Beqanna. But that had been all it took; and not one child, but two, as if her body insists on making up for lost time.

She steps lightly across the tall autumn grass, each brush of the tips of the foliage across her coat making her shiver with sensation. Every breath she draws is yet again duller and her senses are slowly returning to normal, but for now the world around her is still a kaleidoscope of extra-bright colors and overly-loud sounds. That is why Kaite has come to the Field under the cover of the stars, when the sounds and sights are less overwhelming.

darling, the composer has stepped into fire.
    manip by littlewillow-art.deviantart.com ▵ html Devin's Designs '20 ▵ poem by anne sexton

If I had done anything remotely notable since coming to Beqanna, it had been give life to the beautiful colt at my side in the place called Silver Cove. Without much hesitancy I had decided to call the land my home. For weeks I had traveled around the Cove with my son at my side and had yet to find the others that lived there. Though their scents clearly twisted in the wind.

One evening the loneliness had been particularly strong and with a strong desire for socialization I made my way towards the common lands, eager to show Bert the world and maybe meet someone new to converse with. It seemingly takes hours, but with eager steps we step into the field. With a jump and a kick of his heels, the small colt runs ahead through the tall grasses, his wings fluttering as he giggles.

A small smile spreads across my features as I watch him and a sudden burst of love fills my chest. "Bert, be careful!," I call out after him as I walk further into the field and chuckle softly. A bright eye scans the open land until it lands on a sooty bay mare. Anticipation fills my chest and the muscles in my shoulders twitch slightly.

With a shake of my head and gentle huff, my legs carry me forward towards the unknown mare. "Hello," I call out as I make my way closer. "I'm Evarae," my voice is gentle and sweet as it dances in the empty space between us. Coming to a stop, I leave a respectful amount of distance between the myself and the other. "The stars are beautiful, are they not?" I glance towards the sky and take in the beautiful sight as my sons laughter breaks the silence.

It's too good to be true, I ain't got nothin' to do with you
    Evarae
    image credit

@[Kaite]

Kaite
    my nerves are turned on. I hear them like musical instruments.
    where there was silence the drums, the strings are incurably playing.
    Across the quiet of the night, the sound of the child carries far. Kaite lifts her head and swivels towards the mother's call as she follows her son. Like any good mother, her eyes track the progress of the boy first, and then turns towards Kaite with unhurried steps. The slim, dark mare stands calmly at the approach, though her dark eyes linger on the other woman's striking horns and wings. Still, she gives a small smile at the offered greeting.

"Hello," she has always made it a point to not delve into the minds of others unnecessarily, so here she skims surface thoughts just briefly, to make sure that there is no overt danger. There's not - the few things she catches on the surfaces of the mare's mind are as well-meaning as her words. She could be hiding an alterior motive, of course, but Kaite doesn't think so. "I'm Kaite." Evarae looks upwards towards the sky, but Kaite looks towards the laughing child first, a dull ache in her heart as she briefly wonders about her own daughter. In the years that have passed, she is sure that Gaelen is gone, and that the twins she carries will never meet their big sister, but she does not know if they have aunts and uncles and cousins out there somewhere.

After a few heartbeats, she looks to the sky as well, looking for familiar constellations and relieved to find them as they should be. The lands may have changed, but the skies have not. "They are exquisite," she agrees, and turns her eyes again towards the mare. "It has been a long time since I have seen them. The stars had not existed, in this way, where she was. "But it is nice to see that they have not changed. Everything else has." A little restless, she scrapes against the winter grass with one hoof, glancing down where frost has daintily covered each stalk before looking back up to her companion. "Where do you hail from?"

darling, the composer has stepped into fire.
    manip by littlewillow-art.deviantart.com ▵ html Devin's Designs '20 ▵ poem by anne sexton

@[evarae]
    Winter has come, and with it comes the ice dragon. Or, well, so he likes to say to people. In reality, it's just his wanderlust driving him southwards, because when you live as far north as one can go, everything is south. Logic can't be helped when it's just true, though honestly if anyone called him logical he'd laugh them away. Sure, he has some sense of right, wrong, and truths. Ignoring it is much more fun, however.

He takes to the Field because... because why not? He hasn't been in a while, and it might be fun to see who is desperate enough to look for a home in winter. After all, Leilan only needs -wants- the recruits that can live with the winter in the north - perpetual cold and only tough, rather tasteless greens to feed on. Himself, he flies to other places easily - like this Field - but he knows many others prefer not to move around so much.

How they live like that, he cannot truly imagine. He tried it once. Failed after a roughly three years of trying. It's just too boring.

When he approaches the Field, Leilan has long since shifted back. His silvery wings carry his normal (but super handsome of course) horse body, and as he folds them back, he lets them shrink back into his shoulders like they were never there. He's terrible enough by himself that he doesn't need to scare others away with his large reptilian form.

His ice scales still gleam in the winter moonlight as he approaches two women, one with a child (sort of loosely attached, seeing how he runs around), and one who may or may not be carrying - he digresses, it's not his place to ask questions. Stopping short before even speaking to them, he lets his attention be caught instead by the young colt, fluttering around with butterfly wings not unlike his dam. "Hello, you." he chuckles at the kid, not sure what exactly had caught his attention but certain that it is probably much more interesting than the adult conversation, as children usually are. "Your mom looks distracted. Want to go and surprise her?" he offers - nudges the snow away to where a bunch of early snowdrops can be found. Perhaps a little gift? It's probably better than counting stars, he figures.
    nothing burns like the cold
    Leilan

@[evarae] uhm so yes hi he's here to entertain kids apparently instead of recruiting? Or as a sideways job idk
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |