• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  show me where the light is, any

despite the overwhelming odds, tomorrow came

I find it odd that the ball of light draws nearer to me, as though out of curiosity. I had never before come across a star bonded to horse, so I don’t know that it is a sentient being, nor do I hear the musings that pass between him and @[lilliana]. So when he changes color to match my mane and tail (and that of little Memorie’s tail as well, the only physical attribute that marks her as mine), I startle slightly, pulling my head up suddenly.

When I look back to Lilliana, she is looking down at the filly, her grandchild, and Memorie is looking back at her, slightly confused by this strange mare’s sudden interest in her. I take a small step back so that she is slightly ahead of me, now, and the light shines down on her even more. When she looks up at me, I give her a soft smile. “It’s okay, little love, this is Lilliana, your father’s mother, your grandmother.” And suddenly, Memorie becomes more interested in the chestnut mare, who she now sees bears a resemblance to herself and her father, who she’d met twice now.

Memorie takes a hesitant step forward then looks back at me, and I nod my encouragement, so she takes another, more confident step forward and gently reaches her nose out to Lilliana. “Lilliana, this is Memorie,” I say, warmth and fondness making its way into my tone.

Still, I remain slightly guarded. Maybe Lilliana sensed that, or maybe she was just worried about our late night wanderings, but she asks if everything is alright. For me, it is quite a loaded question, because if I’m honest, nothing is alright. I stood here before her with as broken a heart as a heart can be broken. I had thought that what Yanhua and I had was special, but then I learned he loved another. How special can it be if it is shared by another? And part of me feels like he loves her more than me. They probably had history together, too. How can I compete with that?

I realize that my thoughts have wandered far from the conversation, so I give me head a little shake. No doubt she had only meant to ask if everything was alright since we were wandering around so late at night. And I also decided that she didn’t need to hear from me about my troubles with her son. Nay, she probably didn’t want to hear about those. “Oh, yeah. Everything is fine. Memorie just wanted to get a drink. I was just headed for a little brook on the other side of the cove.” I do my best to hide the pain that I feel resonating throughout my heart and soul.

borderline

Photo by Sharon McCutcheon from Unsplash

Messages In This Thread
    show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-07-2020, 10:32 PM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-08-2020, 03:22 PM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by Borderline - 12-08-2020, 07:15 PM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-08-2020, 11:51 PM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-09-2020, 06:12 PM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-10-2020, 12:04 AM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-12-2020, 12:12 AM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-13-2020, 10:06 PM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-17-2020, 12:31 PM