• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  All my life I've been heading for hell; Ryatah

I tried to sell my soul last night
    Funny, he wouldn't even take a bite

Illuminated by that soft angelic glow, she appears so genuinely confused even as concern shadows it. He wishes like hell he hadn’t noticed. Wishes even more that he didn’t care. He’s not certain why now she would choose to withdraw her previous words when there is so clearly nothing to be gained by it. He tells himself it doesn’t matter. But underneath it all, he knows it does.

He had driven her away, just as he had all the rest who ever tried to get close to him. But this is the first time he has hated himself for it.

His jaw clenches tight as he glares at her, but the bright intensity of his rage fades quickly, waning along with the energy that had fueled it. He collapses back once more, only then realizing he had still been struggling to rise, and as the fury drains from him, so too do all vestiges of the fire that had filled the hollow he tried so hard to hide. Behind it lie only the wretchedness of a soul stretched too thin and the echoes of memories of a life worth living.

“Why do you still try?” he grunts, his voice curiously empty now. But he does not decline her aid. For whatever ungodly reason, he could never seem to bring himself to be truly horrible to her. To do the things that would ensure she would never again seek him out.

He might have found that galling not so very long ago. But now, he finally understands. She had given him something he has never truly had before: hope. And he had been loath to banish the one decent thing in his life even as the thought of knowing a world without it again terrified him. What a fool she must believe him.

“Or is it just that it pleases you to see me brought so low,” his voice grows cutting again, eyes deadening into a flat black, “knowing it was you who sent me here?”

Perhaps she had managed to avoid bitterness, but it seems he had been unable to.

@[Ryatah]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: All my life I've been heading for hell; Ryatah - by Ashhal - 02-10-2021, 11:14 AM