• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  Even when the light can't find me [Any]

Help me out before I drown
    Save me now before I give up

Ledger had long grown use to the stares he attracted, some would blatantly gape at the empty socket, at the brands, and would ask tasteless questions about his scars. Or some would stare pointedly at his face to avoid rudeness, like Cheri. There were still times when he felt incredibly self-conscious about his looks, something that hadn’t softened with time and age. However for every gaping onlooker there was one with a similar story, a story of survival. It lessened the sting, just a little.

“She did.” He confirms with a whisper of a smile, watching how Cheri shifts at the mention of Oceane. "She wants to please her" he thinks to himself and realizes why the twilight mare had been rather delighted with her newest apprentice. He can see the potential in her as well, he can understand why their Queen had asked for his help to guide her. Even without her request, he would have done so. She looks nothing like his long lost daughter but there is something about Cheri that hits a soft spot, that reminds him of Joplin. He had failed her, failed the twins, but perhaps he could try and make it right by looking out for those like Cheri. If he could shield her or any others from the type of hardships in life he had constantly faced then it would be worth it.

Speaking of hardships, she mentions not being aware of him and he merely offers his faint smile in return as he thinks of how to approach the situation with delicacy. At the start of his arrival he had been a hidden fixture of Loess, a secret in a way. But with his return to the political circle, that would have to change. “That’s not surprising, not many know that I’m here.” He says kindly, avoiding the conversations he and Oceane had shared as well as the breakdowns that had led him here. The bear within him feels calmer than it has in years and the wildfire of anger that had once controlled him now rests in a smoldering pile. Flickers of it spark with the return of painful memories but don’t threaten to catch as they once had. Not yet, anyways.

“I would like that very much.” He responds truthfully, finding he rather craves the thought of company since his last visit with Oceane. Visitors to his cove were a rarity and the distraction from sleep was always welcome. At her comment on his nocturnal habits, he laughs gruffly. A grin now spreading on his features and a twinkle in the molten gold of his flecked eye. “You say that as if it’s not normal.” And before she can bat an eyelash, his equine form morphs and shifts until the large white bear stands before her. It gives her a toothy smile, a wink from its one good eye, and then he is his normal scarred equine self again. It was better to get his dangerous counterpart out of the way now, when it was feeling kind and benevolent. “Night baths are his favorite when we can’t find ice or snow.” He says with a small shrug, aware of the anxiety that curls in his chest as he cautiously watches her reaction.

Ledger

@[Cheri] Good call, I do prefer this one <3

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Even when the light can't find me [Any] - by Ledger - 05-21-2021, 01:22 PM