• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  that’s my cross to bear

Aela will never run.

It is one of her biggest assets - the way that she stands on a Mountain of her own making. Even if it doesn't yet exist - as nothing does in this dark place - she will hold the ground beneath her hooves like she has every right to it. Whatever worlds she walks, they will all either learn to move with her or be trampled, if they dare move against her.

But it is her biggest flaw, because it is also the reason that the Goddess had been able to scar her. It is most often the reason she had encountered trouble before, refusing to give way, and one of the multiple reasons she goes to Tephra to soak in their healing waters, erasing any sign of hardship that Aela has known in this life.

The dark red stallion turns on her, revealing sharp teeth and a snarl that puts on the Empath on an edge. She is here to find Skandar; she wants nothing to do with this striped beast. But he is in her way, because if she can't see, then there will be no finding Skandar. Aela stalks forward because she no longer recognizes fear - not when she can banish it with a simple thought - and she certainly doesn't dream about it.

She is in no mood for him, and though her fire aura doesn't light in this dim world, she stops and stares up at the seething alicorn with a fury that burns.

"I have no interest in stopping you," she says in a low voice. "Stumble in the dark if you wish." Aela spits back at him. "But you will not stop me," and takes another step forward, ready to summon fires again. Her flames will rise and he will step out of her way or burn.

But then, in the distance, a sound like a thousand breaking bones cracks through the shadowy realm. This world glows not from Aela's inferno but an explosion in the distance. The outlines of the volcano - the familiar horizon of Tephra - becomes illuminated in furious shades of red and orange as molten lava pours down the side of the mountain, as a cataclysm starts to take place.

Something that she would have normally delighted in, if she could have taken any credit for it.

"Was that you?"

They doused your soul in water,
    but the flames raged higher.
    And they called you devil's daughter,
    such a pretty liar.

@lannister ta-boom

Messages In This Thread
    that’s my cross to bear - by lannister - 08-23-2021, 08:45 AM
    RE: that’s my cross to bear - by Aela - 08-23-2021, 09:30 PM
    RE: that’s my cross to bear - by lannister - 09-05-2021, 04:43 PM
    RE: that’s my cross to bear - by Aela - 09-08-2021, 06:06 PM
    RE: that’s my cross to bear - by lannister - 09-09-2021, 05:01 PM