• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  the water is deeper than anything you've ever seen
    anaise
    Perhaps there is some small victory in this—the fact that he does not turn away from her—and she clings to it like it is the only thing keeping her afloat. There is still that same wariness in his expression and she cannot fault him for it because hadn’t she betrayed him? Hadn’t she shown him the sun and then… and then. 

She daren’t think it lest that same unshakable grief tighten its noose around her throat again. 

Instead, she searches his face in the dark. (And maybe she is beginning to feel it, the sickness as it creeps into her skin. But if she does, she mistakes it for something else, the unsettling tickle of remorse, perhaps.) 

He relents and she exhales a breath she had not realized she’d been holding. There is such tremendous relief in this that she can feel it shuddering through her knees. She takes another step toward him then, as if there is still some chance they might be friends, that his forgiveness might someday be complete. 

The sickness settles in the pit of her gut but, still, she takes it to be something that it’s not. She doesn’t know exactly what he’s asking, but she is so desperately eager to answer him, to provide him with some deeper explanation.

My brother and I can listen to thoughts, we get it from our dad, but…” She pauses, glances at the ground and frowns. “I’m the only one who does things without meaning to.” She glances up at him then, releasing a shaky breath. How desperately she wants him to believe her, believe that it had been an accident, that sometimes she can be thoughtless and careless but that she would never intentionally hurt someone she’d begun to think of as a friend. 

DON’T FORGET TO LOVE ME IN DAMNATION
    FOR THE LIVING I HAVE EARNED ON LOVE GONE WRONG

@Nemeon

Messages In This Thread
    RE: the water is deeper than anything you've ever seen - by anaise - 03-28-2022, 02:18 PM