• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

anyone;

you and I both know that the house is haunted
    and you and I both know that the ghost is me

Her company is mild, easy, and he finds himself enjoying it. He has no way of knowing that she is indeed from the Valley—the kingdom he hates perhaps more than anything else—and he has no way of knowing that she is there as enemy and not friend. When he looks at her guileless eyes, all he sees is kindness, and he is glad to while away the hours by her side. One day, his trust in others would be his downfall.

Moving alongside her, he continues to talk, opening up with her gentle questions. “The Chamber attacked because it is what they do—they pride themselves on shows of power because they think that is what will grant them their own form of immortality.” His lips twist into a smile. “But they’re wrong. Cruelty against the weak or the innocent will never bring them the power they want, because they can’t kill what they can’t understand.”  He motions around, “And they can’t understand this. They will never understand it.”

The Chamber was incapable of understanding the beauty of the Gates and the peace of her residents. They would never understand the strength that came from loving something fiercely or hope or faith. Magnus barely understood it and he had lived among them for decades. “As for our magic, I believe it will.” He winked at her briefly. “Magic has a way of being hard to defeat, and the Gates is surprisingly durable.”

He wonders how she views him—wonders if his story is perhaps deceiving. So when he laughs, the sound is self-deprecating and he just shakes his golden head. “Thank you, but I fear that I am the one who is lucky the Gates still allows me to call her home.” His face grows somber again. “I miss Joelle every day, but being here reminds me that she’s still all around. The only way I have of honoring her memory is trying to protect this kingdom that she loves and being the best version of myself for her.” He shakes his head again, his laugh more light-hearted this time. “But enough of me and my story. What of you?”

MAGNUS

once general. once lord. once king.

© robert bejil photography
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]

Messages In This Thread
    anyone; - by Shiya - 11-23-2015, 11:46 AM
    RE: anyone; - by magnus - 11-24-2015, 01:18 AM
    RE: anyone; - by Shiya - 11-24-2015, 08:54 AM
    RE: anyone; - by magnus - 11-24-2015, 11:59 PM
    RE: anyone; - by Shiya - 11-26-2015, 09:27 AM
    RE: anyone; - by magnus - 11-29-2015, 02:01 PM
    RE: anyone; - by Shiya - 12-01-2015, 02:39 PM