• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I've waited and waited; Scorch (& Hestoni maybe)
    Oh look, oh my star is fading
    My, what a strange dream, she thinks.

And in the haze of just-waking, in the moment where sleep blurs into consciousness, she actually thinks it has been a dream. That is, until she is aware of an itching pain that wraps around her barrel, finds herself scratching it, and finds that it hurts. Then her shifting eyes fly open, she sees it all, and she instantly knows that it was not a dream.

And it's only a moment more before they all flood in, the voices of the many that she met on her travels.

She is stunned then, not knowing what to think. Perhaps unlike many of the others who answered Carnage's call, Wrynn had done so with no thought for herself and no idea that it could lead to lasting repercussions. It's only a moment before one voice rises to the top of the buzz – Rain, her sister. "Wrynn?" the girl's voice is curious. "Rain?" Wrynn speaks with her mind, and it's both voice and not-voice at the same time. It's definitely not anything out loud though. "You can hear me!" Rain is excited and surprised at the same time. "And you can hear me?" Wrynn is unabashedly excited. "Are you here? Did you come back with me?" it's almost heartbreaking how hard she hopes, even though she figures if they were here, they'd be near her. "No." Rain's voice is a little sad, and Wrynn immediately regrets asking. Of course they couldn't have come back – the dead can't do that. The world of the living is for the living, not for them, not for Gail either. She is silent for a moment, sad for all her dead friends. They may have been dead long before she ever met them, but that doesn't make her wish any less that they had been living.

"But we can talk. You and me, and it seems like everyone else too." Wrynn's voice is calm in her mind, and even as she says it she knows it's true. She smiles. "I'm so glad. I would've been so sad to lose all of you!" and she can hear a chorus of agreement from hear dead friends.

It's then that she remembers the promise she'd made to Rain, and she scrambles to her feet in her rush to keep it. She moves through the jungle quickly, seeking her mother and father. She almost trips sometimes, filly-hooves tangling in the underbrush, and her dead friends yell at her to take her time, to be careful, but she doesn't especially listen. She slows only when she sees the familiar bulk of her mother come into view before her.

She bursts into the clearing, coming to an ungraceful stop. What a sight she must be, the normally timid girl lathered in sweat, sides heaving, knees scraped and a circular abrasion running around her girth and barrel area. She pauses for a moment, rainbow eyes wide, suddenly realizing that she has absolutely no idea how to explain any of this to her mother.

They've not had the best of relationships so far, although Wrynn still has no idea why. All she knows is that her mother appears not to like her very much, and thinks she shouldn't exist. But her promise to Rain is more important than any of that, and she swallows, hard.

"I met my sister." she says, her voice as quiet and small as usual. "I met Rain."
    wrynn

Messages In This Thread
    I've waited and waited; Scorch (& Hestoni maybe) - by Wrynn - 06-07-2015, 07:42 PM