• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

ran my wandering mind away, Errant
    when my time comes around
    lay me gently in the cold dark earth

Time passes slowly for Errant, slower than is natural anyway. He has a single grey hair on his muzzle, a fantastic feat for a horse nearing thirty. He is in his prime, and looks no older than seven.

It is Crito that makes him feel old.

The roan stallion is his years-younger brother, and while Errant hadn’t seen him grow the way he’d witnessed Roark, Tivona, Alecto, and Rharian grow, it is still something he knows. Scorch, with her bare skin and flaming hide has always seemed ageless as well. It’s just Crito, with his creaking bones and cheerful smile, who reminds Errant of the time that is passing.

When Crito approaches him, quite some time after they’vereturned from the Jungle, Errant looks up. His expression isn’t quite eager – he’s too reserved for that – but he is clearly pleased to see his sibling. “Crito,” he replies, smiling slightly. His expression sours somewhat at the wound on Crito’s face, but they are both accustomed to Scorch by now, and a brotherly lecture wouldn’t change her behavior. “I’m glad that’s settled, then.” He says, nodding and this time he does look pleased. “Now we just have to wait to hear back from the Falls.”

He doesn’t expect much more – they’ve never been an especially chatty pair – so when Crito speaks again Errant looks up with a blink of his grey eyes.

How is he?

It’s not something he’s considered much lately. He’s been waiting for whatever is shifting beneath their feet to reveal itself, or for the kingdoms to topple into each other in another spontaneous war. He’s been waiting and...well. He had done that other thing. Perhaps an accident. Perhaps magic. Most likely a combination of the two. “I brought Lea back from the dead.” He says, and his face is carefully schooled to stillness. He wants to know what the reaction of a sane horse (Crito has always seemed especially stable) might be to the arcane feat he’s just accomplished.

e r r a n t

no grave can hold my body down
    i'll crawl home to her

[Image: leaanderrant_zpsqa4goyjv.gif]

Messages In This Thread
    ran my wandering mind away, Errant - by Crito - 07-01-2015, 12:36 PM
    RE: ran my wandering mind away, Errant - by Errant - 07-02-2015, 08:19 PM
    RE: ran my wandering mind away, Errant - by Crito - 07-09-2015, 03:04 PM