• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

hold me in this wild, wild world; Solace/Kagerus/Jesper/Any
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    'cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
    He’s interested in their exchange, the words of Jesper’s former home that pass between Jesper and Solace, but he is quiet and lets them exchange these things with not much more outward reaction than the flick of one ear towards them, committing the names of these friends of his grandson to memory. As much as he is unhappy with what has taken place in Sylva, Brennen isn’t unhappy that it has brought Bethanie’s only son back to Ischia where Brennen believes he belongs, alongside much of the rest of the family. But then again, Bethanie had never been fully Brennen’s; her heart had belonged to the Falls, and the Falls had not found a new place in the new world, though Hyaline has the spirit of the neutral Kingdom in parts.

Both mares offer congratulations to the new King, and Brennen accepts this with a nod and a little smile. Kagerus is more effusive in her words and he digests them a moment; does he deserve it? Is it something one can deserve or simply a duty one feels called to perform? Well to Brennen it is no matter, someone needed to lead Ischia and someone needed to lead the Brotherhood and he fit easily into both roles, and was one of few with enough experience to get it done. But it’s certainly a question to consider as he puts thought to choosing an heir and other high-ranking officials within Ischia; how does one select from many qualified candidates?

Both mares are read to accept Ischia’s extended hand of friendship, and Brennen is glad. Perhaps they are not the strongest of allies in terms of brute strength, but he believes in their mission and the strength of their hearts. Their request, though, is no simple thing, and Brennen settles in to take a moment to think it over, considering the men and women who have gathered around him in Ischia. “It’s true numbers have grown quite wildly since the Brotherhood took Ischia,” he finally says, “But many are little more than children, and not all of the adults are expert warriors. We have a lot of work and learning to do also. I won’t order anyone to abandon our fledging Brotherhood for a full year while we are in such a crucial stage, but I can ask them. Perhaps they can come in shifts, a week or so at a time. That way no one will be left out of the building and shaking at home for too long, but they can help here as they can.”

It’s the best he can offer them; he wants to help protect their new allies but he won’t leave the home shores undefended either, and nor will he leave it protected only by children. Times are too uncertain, and already dark winds blow. “But if you need more help urgently, we are always just a short flight away.” He makes mental note to begin to push the flighted into harder training for both distance and speed - he wants the fighters ready to leave Ischia to defend their allies at a moment’s notice, and any non-fighters with wings to be ready as messengers. Even, though his heart clenches at the thought, his children. Even the littlest are almost a year old, and three of the four have wings that will soon carry them in flight if they are not flying already; they cannot fight, but they would make excellent messengers.
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    and in your heat I feel how cold it can get
    BRENNEN

Messages In This Thread
    RE: hold me in this wild, wild world; Solace/Kagerus/Jesper/Any - by Brennen - 05-02-2018, 10:47 PM