• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  i feel a bad moon rising; wolfbane
    ooc: since Lepis is also a captive in Hyaline i wanted to clarify that this is NOT an escape thread even though Lepis is talking about an escape. If you want to have a Hyaline pony be creeping on them from a distance that's totes fine, but otherwise it's a private thread :D

I had forgotten what he was like, I realize. The last year has passed in a dizzying whirl, all of the memories seeming almost impossibly recent. In all those memories Wolfbane had been absent, and having him here in front of me takes a moment of adjustment. The palomino king does not fit in the world I've crafted for myself, and though the smile doesn't quiver on my lips there is a sudden sobriety to the way my blue-grey eyes take him in. 

My crafted world has been crumbling for weeks now, I remember. Who is to say that I could not create a space for him as I begin to rebuild it? The idea is as tempting as it is subconscious, and my smile grows more tender for the briefest of moments. At his question I flare my wings proudly, their tricolored expanse gleaming brightly even in the fading light.

"They're as good as new." I reply. He says that they make his seem plain, and I shake my head with a smile that crinkles the edges of my slightly downcast eyes. I disagree. His wings are solid colored, but they are certainly not plain. They are longer than mine (as they must be for his greater size), but the familiar shape of them causes me to wonder if perhaps I might have found a match in the air. I had grown up with a mother who rarely flew and an uncle who was far more powerful than he was agile, and I have been without a companion in the air since my wings were broken eighteen months ago. 

The idea sends a thrill down my navy spine, which is released as a playful buck as I flare my wings wider. The gust of cold air that ripples down Hyaline's east flowing river is impossible to resist. Taking advantage of the high land we stand on, I leap from my standstill and drop over the edge of the cliff with a laugh that disappears moments after as I do.

The cliff face speeds past me as I tuck my forelegs to my chest and pull my wings ever tighter. Only when I am meters from the earth below do I pull up, buoyed by the bitter wind and the speed of my dive.

This is what freedom feels like.

I release a breath I didn't know I'd been holding, a long sigh that is torn from my blue lips by the low hanging clouds I've just entered. I hadn't flown in two weeks, I realize as the muscle that work now to keep me aloft cry out from disuse. It seems impossible for time to have passed so quickly, and yet here we are. Below me is a flash of gold and I pull my wings in to drop down, hoping to surprise Wolfbane by appearing directly ahead of him from my hiding place of cloud. 

"I certainly hope you've come to talk about rescuing me," I say, the teasing tone of the words a fitting match for the smile that brightens my narrow face. The muscles for that were dusty as well, but they protest less the longer we remain airborne. "Or are you going to tell me what that meeting Arthas held was all about?" I'd seen it from the air on my return trip to Hyaline after finding Castile, a dozen tiny horses clustered together in a place I was not allowed to land.

"While we're up here though, I think you could - at the very least - tell me where you've been." That sounds a little more serious, Cleric to Lord. It is tempered, however, by the casual loop that I perform immediately afterward, and the proud smirk I give to the king when I am level again, which I hope looks suspiciously like a dare.

@[Wolfbane]
    i word vomited on you sorry not sorry

Messages In This Thread
    i feel a bad moon rising; wolfbane - by Lepis - 08-30-2018, 10:04 PM
    RE: i feel a bad moon rising; wolfbane - by Lepis - 08-31-2018, 12:57 PM
    RE: i feel a bad moon rising; wolfbane - by Lepis - 09-05-2018, 06:26 PM