• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

how time twines around your neck; any
    'As you wish', he says, and the universe sends a thrill dancing down to the very tips of my wings. His smile suggests that the thrill might have been a visceral reaction to danger, but I do not feel fearful as I raise my head out of his way. I had tamped down on that emotion entirely, drowned it in the excitement that instead floods in alongside the adrenaline.

For a space between heartbeats I am nothing at all.

I am still wrapped in that sensation when the world reforms around us. It is unsettling, but the nausea has faded as quickly as it roiled up, and I exhale the last breath of meadow I still hold in my lungs with something that's just short of a sigh.

My reaction will not disappoint him; I take in the scene with open wonder. Though I am not well traveled in the slightest, it is too obvious that this place is elsewhere. We aren't in Beqanna - or at least, not in the time that I know it. When he speaks I turn to look at him again, as startled by his neutral reaction to this sight around us as I am by the new world itself.

So when I find that his tone does not match his expression I find myself smiling back without thinking about it at all. I cannot even remember the last time I had done so, and it feels warm in my chest, where the winter never seems to leave.

"I think you were about to tell me who you are, and how we got here." I reply, and though my tone remains playful I cannot help but look back frequently at this strange midnight. "And I was about to tell you my name is Lepis."

@[Elektrum]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: how time twines around your neck; any - by Lepis - 09-19-2018, 09:02 PM