• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

he giveth and he taketh away; round i - closed, tersias in.
    Tyrna

If we don't make it alive, well it's a hell of a good day to die
    The ash is deep at her feet and the air is much colder now. Small gusts of wind blow the remains of Beqanna into the air clouding vision and making it hard to breath. The most troubling thing isn't the clouds of smoke and the stench of death, it's the silence. Though the small band she finds herself with cries and whimpers, calls out for loved ones, and screams in despair, all around them is quiet. No longer do they hear the chirps of birds or the gentle rustle of life in the forest. It is only the sounds of each other that keeps the group company. Well, in her case she has the wolf.

Initially silent during the exodus to the mountains, the beast had come back in full force. Constantly cackling in her ear at the loss of everything she held dear, it was starting to drive her mad. It so casually reminded her of all she had left behind in her blind escape from her home. Hell, you didn't even look back. It scared how much she was listening to the depraved wolf, but what did she have left to lose? She had lost her home, her family, her friends, and the glass boy that had kept her anchored. Maybe the wolf was right, maybe she should just give up. It wouldn't be that hard, just wade out into the sea of ash and drown in the sorrows threatening to crush her anyway. Alas, the steel girl wasn't quite ready to give up. Not until she saw the splinters of glass bones a ragged paper hide with her own eyes.

Tyrna waits as time flows around her, staring out towards where the Falls once stood. She is torn between self preservation and caving to the weight of her grief and the wolf's insistence. She knows that she will never make it on her own, she isn't strong enough. The loss she feels is too strong and it is all too easy for her to fall prey to the misery. With a sigh and a shrug she closes off that piece of her heart for the time being and assesses the small herd of survivors. The most striking of which is a tall, pale gray stallion. He has a thick build hinting at draft ancestors. Tyrna makes a mental note to talk with him more since he seemed to be taking charge. A sultry black mare stands at his side looking terribly bored for someone who just ran for her life. The black sees Tyrna watching and gives her a nasty scowl before positioning herself further in front of the gray, sending a clear message.

It seems that most of the small group that has gathered on the mountainside is female, and Tyrna can't help but wonder if that was random happenstance or not. The only other male besides the gray, is a stocky chestnut pony. He is by far the friendliest, and it doesn't take long for him to approach Tyrna to make his introductions.

"Why hello there darlin'!" The red pony called out as he sauntered towards her. "My name's Sundance, but you can call me Sunny, and ya'll should count yourself lucky that ya'll have stumbled into my good friend Butch's territory." On hearing his name the handsome gray glanced over at the duo. With no subtlety whatsoever, his eyes crawled over every inch of Tyrna's gunmetal coat and left her feeling dirty. When he was finished, he smiled possessively and gave her a wink before turning back to address the black mare, whom Tyrna assumed was his lead. A cough near her knee pulled her attention back to the pony, and once satisfied she was listening, he continued. "As I was sayin' ya'll are in Butch's territory now, so if ya’ll like, ya’ll are more than welcome to come with us. We're goin' be movin' here real quick so ya'll best  join the rest o' them before we do. Go make yourself comfortable and he'll be seein' to you shortly."

Without waiting for a reply the pony swaggered back toward the other timid mares that were clustered together in small groups. All around, the others all seemed to have the same blank, sorrowful stare. All that is except for Butch, Sunny, and the black mare. It almost seemed like they were enjoying playing house at the end of the world. Traveling with a group of psychopaths and their victims was the last thing she wanted really, but the thought of being alone with her memories was enough to send her walking in the direction of the others. It's true what they say about safety in numbers.

The wolf was thrilled. So many new playthings once she let her guard down just enough for it to wiggle to the surface. It couldn't wait to sink it's teeth into the sad and scared. It made the taste so much sweeter.

Within the hour they were moving. Headed further up the mountain where it seemed the fire hadn't spread. Tyrna couldn't stand to listen to Sunny's idle chatter, or Butch's wandering eyes, so she kept quiet and stuck to the back of the caravan as they traversed the rough terrain. That was why she noticed the lone figure trailing behind them.

Like a phantom, the equine form had risen from the ash without a sound. From this distance she was hardly sure it was real. It just stood there unmoving, not even bothering to shake the ash from it's pelt, before it started to look around. Tyrna watched it intently, pausing on the trail she was following to see what the horse would do. Bloodshot eyes lock with hers and it starts to move. Slowly it shambles towards where she stands, though it is down in a field and she is up on a mountain, with little regard to what could be in it's way. She doesn't know why shambling was the first word to spring to mind in the description of its movements, but there is something unnatural in its movements. It never moves any faster or slower and keeps its eyes firmly locked on her position. That is until it startles a rabbit from it's hiding place in the sparse gray underbrush.

Tyrna had never seen any living creature move that fast. Like a cobra, the ash horse ran and snatched the poor rabbit off the ground faster than her eyes could track. So sudden was the movement that she actually jumped and skidded on loose rock, making enough noise to draw the unwanted attention of the others. She sheepishly gives an apology and turns to look back at where the ash horse had been. Seeing nothing but dark spots in the ash, the incident is shrugged off as an anomaly and she continues up the path.

Their first week together is spent in quiet determination. Everyone being to tired and scared to find the words that they each want to say. The steel girl hears them at night, whimpering in their sleep, crying for friends and family left to the inferno. She wonders if she does the same. She still sees their faces when she closes her eyes. First it's her mother's, all smiles and laughter. Tyrna wishes she had said how much she loved her. Then she sees the face of the child that never was. It can't have all been a dream. She remembers so vividly the feeling of childbirth and nursing a tiny life form to strength. She remembers his tiny body pressed into her side as they slept, and his eyes, so full of hope before he was swept away in a river of magma.

The last face she sees each night before sleep takes her is the most bittersweet. She sees paper wings and fragile skin. Delicate hooves and gentle eyes. She sees Contagion. He was her world, at least in her dreams, and now they wouldn’t have the chance to see how things could have been. She wakes each night with a scream trapped in her throat and the sound of shattering glass and demonic howls echoing in her ears.

The herd’s days are filled with scavenging for meager blades of grass and sludge filled pools of water. They traveled in a loose herd, gossiping among each other and following the dashing gray stallion. Tyrna stayed towards the back unwilling to share the hurt that hung heavy along her shoulders. Her grief was her own and she selfishly hoarded it so she wouldn’t have to pretend to feel sorry for the others. She followed because it was convenient and little more.

The wolf inside her howled and cackled constantly waiting for the prime opportunity to come forth, picking out who would be the easiest prey. It had locked onto a sickly blue roan and plagued her constantly with visions of ripping flesh from bone. She trailed even further behind the group after that started.

One morning as they crossed through a narrow valley, the black mare that she had assumed was the lead mare decided to walk with her. They walked together in companionable silence for most of the morning before the black spoke to her.

“Cassidy, my name’s Cassidy. I know you didn’t ask, but I thought you should know. I’ve seen you at night and I know you aren’t like the others.” They continued for several miles before Tyrna replied.

“You can call me Tyrna.” That was all they said to each other that day, but the pattern continued for several days. Cassidy would join her at the rear and they would walk in silence. Little by little a friendship blossomed.

Eventually Sunny started spending time chatting with them when they were stopped for the night. His friendly disposition and charming smile disarmed her, and after a month of sorrow, the wolf girl laughed. Two months later and she felt herself enough to discuss where they were headed with Butch, and in time became a valuable asset in reconnaissance. The wolf still needed to be let free every now and again, but this time it had a purpose. She made a deal with the wolf that as long as it scouted the area ahead it was free to hunt what little game remained in the area. It was a Faustian bargain but it helped them find safer paths through the treacherous mountainside.

Days faded to weeks. Weeks became months. The seasons passed and so did the shyness that clung to everyone. They were finally a real herd. They encouraged and comforted one another. Each small step forward felt like a victory. Tyrna had grown quite close to her little band. Cassidy and the silver girl became inseparable. Butch held her in high regard and Sunny was the only one capable of making her laugh til her sides hurt. She never forgot the pain but she was able to start healing.

Like all good things, the peace she had found was doomed to end.

It was while scouting the branching pathways towards a level looking ledge for the herd to camp on that she heard them. Tyrna had gone several miles ahead of the main herd to try to find the safest route. After spending so much time together, Butch and a handful of the younger mares, Cassidy included, had decided that now was as good a time as any to start the re-population process. Come the spring there would be at least three new faces joining them. The downside was that they were forced to lower ground to ease the journey for the pregnant mares. The little band had been stopping more frequently and resting for longer periods of time. Lately when they had been able to find a decent water source they would spend entire days before moving on again.

First it was just the occasional skitter of loose stone heard faintly in the distance. Then it became a gentle creaking like branches in the wind, though all the trees were gone. By that time she could smell them. Ash and rot, burnt hair and flesh. Death. Climbing higher, the wolf girl was finally able to see them.

They appeared on the horizon as a large cloud of dust. Large eddies of ash and grime dancing in the air churned up by something large and approaching quickly. Tyrna hazards creeping closer, climbing higher, desperate to get a better view of the potential enemy gaining ground towards her new family. She hides among the rubble and boulders just long enough for the first creature to come into view. It doesn’t take her long to turn tail and flee back to warn the others. Even after all these months she vividly remembers the savagery lurking behind those bloodshot eyes. They must have spent the time since the fire gathering and feasting on what was left of the other horses and critters of Beqanna.

Fear lends haste to her mighty limbs as they tear up the ground in an attempt to reach her herd before they run out of time to flee. She knows that is a battle they are sure to lose. Her hooves slide on the rocky terrain and several times she stumbles, nearly snapping legs and twisting ankles, but still her pace never slows. Her eyes are wild and panicked with only one thought echoing in her head. Not again She had lost so much already the thought of of losing anyone else was enough to send her racing blindly through the mountain pathways she had become familiar with.

As she nears their last resting zone she begins calling wildly. If she can alert them now maybe they would have enough time before the horde was upon them. She turns a bend and enters a shallow gully where the rest of the herd stands gathered, alert due to her frantic whinnies. Skidding to a stop she nearly collides with the impressive bulk of Butch.

“Tyrna, what is it that has you in such a fuss?” The gray stallion asks coolly as he takes in her sweat soaked skin and heaving sides as she catches her breath.

“To the north, I saw... I don't know what I saw. So many of them.” Tyrna panted out, gasping for air.

“Saw so many of what?” His tone is less calm, sensing the fear in her voice.

“So many of the dead” , her voice grows quieter, “They rose from the ash with a hunger in their lifeless eyes. We cannot stay here. We need to flee higher into the mountains. I have seen  what they are capable of before and we won’t stand a chance.” Tyrna levelly meets his eye allowing him enough time to see her sincerity. “Butch, you know I wouldn’t risk the well-being of your children if I wasn’t certain of the danger.”

Butch glances around at the faces of those bearing his young and a grim determination sets in. “You’re right Tyrna, I trust you” Without further discussion he turns and addresses his harem. “Ladies, listen up! We will be traveling back up to higher ground. Don’t ask questions just yet. Trust me and all will be explained once we reach a safer altitude. Everyone pair up. Use the buddy system to help each other and we will all make it.” Once his speech is finished, the herd becomes a flurry of activity as the mares move towards the trail at the far end of the gully, opposite from where Tyrna made her entrance. Butch and Tyrna work together to shepherd the others towards the embankment. Cassidy, even in her advanced pregnancy leads the way, carefully picking her path up the unstable ground, a black beacon to guide them to safety.

Sunny for his part keeps morale high. The chestnut pony is quick with a smile or an encouraging prod to the rear. Whatever it takes to expedite their departure he tries. Of all of them, he is the one that seems the calmest, like this happens all the time. Even though he is several heads shorter than the rest of them, the mares listen and take his kind words to heart.

There are only a couple of the older mares left standing around when the first of the ash beasts makes it’s appearance. The entrance to the gully was maybe a half mile away from the mares making their exodus. Short enough for the zombie-like horses to catch up to them with their unnaturally fast movements. Tyrna and Butch came to the same conclusion simultaneously. Both were standing at the rear urging the frail old ladies to pick up the pace and attempt the climb. Tyrna was the first to broach the uncomfortable silence.

“They won’t make it in time.” She whispered gently for her friends ears only.

Butch turned to her, a stern look in his eye,”I know.”

“They need a distraction, something to buy some time,”

A deep sigh escaped his tightly drawn lips, “I know.”

There was a resigned air to him. She could nearly read his mind, so clearly did his expression convey his thoughts. He wouldn’t quite meet her eye and seemed to lag back as though he had already given up and accepted that it would have to be him. Well not while she was there. Tyrna pressed herself against his side and whispered into his ear. “When you see your children, well name one for me eh?” With a smirky grin she cast one last glance towards her friends as they scaled the path she had laid out for them. Kicking up her heels she cantered towards the approaching horde, leaving no room for discussion. She heard him shout behind her but it was too late and he knew it. Tyrna was able to easily reach the halfway point between the ashen mob and her little herd. She cast one last look over her shoulder to see that Butch had not wasted anytime and had nearly gotten the last mare up.

Smelling fresh prey before them, mob sped up. Tyrna could hear the gnash of broken teeth and smell the putrid rot that wafted off of them. It wouldn’t be long now. She closed her eyes turning her thoughts towards the loved ones she lost, and stood casually, squared off to meet them head on when she felt a rush of air against her leg. Opening her eyes in surprise she saw Sunny galloping valiantly forward to meet the monsters. A gleaming flash of red in the gray landscape.

By the time she realized what was happening, Tyrna was too frozen in shock to react as she watched her tiny friend face the horde. At the last second he looked back, winked at her with his signature grin firmly in place, and yelled out to her. “Live a good life lass! And never forget old Sunny!”

She never got the chance to reply as he collided with the lead ash beast and was swallowed by the mob. A strangled sob was all that she could force out as she watched the slaughter. Never again would she spend her nights talking with the pony about the past, or listening to his poorly timed jokes. Never again would she see his smile as he encouraged them all to walk that extra mile or find a particularly nice place for a nap. She had failed again, and lost someone dear to her. Unwilling to waste his sacrifice, Tyrna once more turned tail and fled.

The sound of ripping flesh and snapping bone followed her all the way back to the herd.

Silver dapple sabino|Mare|Andalusian Hybrid|Falls

Messages In This Thread
    RE: he giveth and he taketh away; round i. - by Tyrna - 07-31-2015, 02:00 PM
    RE: he giveth and he taketh away; round i. - by leiland - 07-31-2015, 02:46 PM