• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  i'll pretend i'm burning bright; sahm, any
    i pretend to close my eyes;
    i pretend i'm burning bright.
    Okay, so maybe the Tundra has grown on me some since Romek said he’d be my dad and brought me home with him. Sure it’s crazy cold, but I usually don’t mind the cold so much. Fire’s good at keeping a body warm, see. So even if my legs get kind of freezing when I’m walking through snow, well, I can always get warm again. Except the wind’s getting kind of cold too today, and it makes the fire a little harder to control. Or harder to keep awake, really. It keeps blowing out, and it’s a whole lot harder to stay warm without it. 

I keep starting little fires to dance along my skin and chase away the cold, but they keep going out, and it’s starting to get uncomfortable. And my legs are cold, and any time I try to melt snow away from them so I can be warm for a minute, it makes the ground all squishy and wet and gross and that’s just as bad as being cold. So I sigh and bound through the snow toward the closest cave to cuddle up out of the wind, start a fire that won’t blow out, and get all cozy and dry the damp off my legs.

The cave I pick is dark, but not for long. As soon as I’m out of the wind, I wrap myself in fire to dry off and warm up, and it sheds light on the insides of the cave, or at least the bits closest to me. I let the fire spread out a little to melt some snow that blew into the cave, and to chase the water away with its lovely, lovely heat. And then I send some to warm up a spot on the cave floor that looks especially cozy to curl up on for a nice long nap.

I’m getting better at this whole control thing.

Pretty soon my cave is nice and toasty warm. I curl up in the spot I got all cozy-like, and gather the fire back together to sit a little ways away from me and dance, mesmerizing me with its movement even as it keeps me nice and warm. Kind of the perfect way to spend a cold winter day, I think. Well, it would maybe be even better with company, but the fire’s nice company too. Even if it is a little quiet.

Messages In This Thread
    i'll pretend i'm burning bright; sahm, any - by Lilitha - 08-26-2016, 01:54 PM