• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    CHAPTER ONE: the underneath [a quest]
    <link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Alegreya+SC" rel="stylesheet"><center><style> .underneathborder {background-color: #173c42; width: 610px;box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px #000;} .underneathcontainer {background-image:url('http://i.imgur.com/Z04jXjk.png'); width: 600px; height: 337px;transition: 1s;transition-timing-function: linear;} .underneathbackground {background-color: #000; width: 600px;border-radius: 200px 200px 0px 0px;} #underneathmessage {width: 550px; padding: 10px; margin-bottom: 20px; text-align: justify; line-height: 12pt; font-size: 12px;margin-bottom: 20px; color: #a9b0a6;opacity: .95;} #underneathquote {margin-top: -10px; margin-bottom: 15px; font-family: 'Alegreya SC', serif; text-transform:uppercase; font-size: 14px; color: #7c928e;background-color: #173c42; line-height: 10pt; text-shadow: -1px 1px 10px #000, 1px 1px 5px #000;transition: 1s;} #underneathquote:hover {color: #000;background-color: #587f7f; letter-spacing: 10px;box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px #000; text-shadow: 0 0 5px #000;}</style><div class="underneathborder"><div class="underneathbackground"><div class="underneathcontainer"></div><div id="underneathquote">The Underneath: Chapter One</div><div id="underneathmessage">It is quiet. 
    Too quiet.

You awaken in another world: a dark and insidious world, but as you blink your bleary eyes once, twice, you can feel your heart sinking within your chest with the heavy, wretched realization that you are <i>not</i> in another world. Not at all. Though it is impossibly dark, your eyes have adjusted, and you can see <i>so well</i>! Distances, darkness, and heat signatures, you can see it all. The air is thick (<i>you choke, gasping for air, but there is little oxygen to be had</i>) and the atmosphere is dense with a heaviness that can only be rivaled by the paralysis of an imploding star – delicate, celestial dark matter folding in on itself, and you are certain that your chest could cave in at any moment. Your heart is pounding, thrusting itself raggedly at its cage, while your nerves writhe beneath the surface of your skin.

You are not in another world – no, not at all.

It is <i>familiar</i>, but dark, <i>so dark</i>.

It is not a natural darkness, as when the tired sunlight wanes beyond the horizon to unleash a wild moon and all its splendor. It is supernatural, draping over you with a thick envelopment of precarious filth. It is then that you realize that there is no wind, there is no light, there is no movement at all aside from your own. There is nothing but the muffled sound of your ragged breathing, the pervasive stench of death surrounding you, and the tingling of your skin, prickled by the stillness of the ether to reassure you that you have not died – that this is not purgatory –

But something much

<i>much</i>

worse.

Before you, the forest you have come to know so well, with its spindly, deciduous branches and trickling streams (<i>still and unmoving now - time has not stopped; everything has simply ceased to </i>be<i> more than what it is</i>), is eerie and frightening and foreboding. To the west, the mountain is looming, enveloped in a thick haze and a stirring, moving plume of electrified, sparkling clouds that billow from the top - it is the only thing that is moving, the only semblance of life outside of your hammering heart and throbbing veins.

Behind you, there is a low and menacing snarl -
    you must move, and <i>quickly!</i>

It is coming.
    Coming for <i>you</i>.

Where will you go?
    Which will you choose?
    </div></div></div></center>
    <b>PLEASE RESPOND BY JULY 10TH AT 3PM PST.

The Lowdown:</b>
    • Your character has woken up in an alternate dimension, known as The Underneath. 
    • It looks <i>exactly</i> like Beqanna, but it is impossibly dark, dull and monotonous, with sparse amounts of coloring. 
    • There is little oxygen, so your character will have difficulty with their energy level. 
    • Traits are welcome and encouraged, but not necessary.
    • This quest is <b>HEAVILY</b> influenced by Stranger Things. If you haven't watched it, you should, but knowledge of it is not necessary to participate.
    • Describe what happened to them prior to crossing into the parallel universe, describe their surroundings (run wild), their emotions. Do not make up mysterious creatures, and your character is <b>completely</b> alone. Trust me, I'll give him/her plenty of company in due time.
    • In the Underneath, your character has dragon vision, meaning that your character can see extreme distances, in the dark, and can switch vision over to see heat signatures.
    • End your post with your decision as to whether or not you will venture into the Forest, or move towards the Mountain.
    <b>Entry Requirements:</b>
    • All characters must already be born (no foals from the July birthing season).
    • Only one entry per player. No limit on the number of overall entries.
    <b>Rules:</b>
    • There will be no extensions.
    • You may edit your post any time before the deadline – if you edit your post after the deadline, you will be disqualified, eliminated and be given a defect.
    • This is a <b>writing-based</b> quest – so do not worry about making the wrong choice. Creativity and solid writing are the only basis for judging.
    • Those who notify The Underneath that they will no longer be participating <b>prior</b> to a deadline will not receive any consequence. Those who blatantly miss deadlines will be automatically eliminated <i>and</i> receive a defect.
    • Defects are likely during this quest, but will be temporary with the option of being made permanent/genetic. ** <b>UPDATED: JULY 9TH</b>
    <b>Notes:</b>
    • There are no eliminations in the first round.
    • There is, of course, a reward to those who make it through to the end.
    Feel free to ask questions of The Underneath by PMing or posting in Connect.

<b>FAQ:</b>

<b>Will there be portals like in Stranger Things?</b>
    Yes, but they will not be important to the quest and will only be used to transport your character back to their universe.

<b>I'm nervous about entering because I'm afraid of a defect; should I enter anyway?</b>
    Choose a character you're open to having a defect with, if you're worried. Look at it as character development and a challenge - defects are not necessarily a bad thing, nor is it guaranteed your character will get one. Quests have risks, but they're worth the reward!

Messages In This Thread
    CHAPTER ONE: the underneath [a quest] - by The Underneath - 07-06-2017, 09:22 PM