• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

caught in the afterglow; any
    As the shimmer of my eldest son dissipates, Catcher steps closer. The scent of her reminds me so much of my estranged family that I struggle not to run my nose through her copper mane... I want to remember it for a long time to come. And yet something tells me that I needn’t worry about losing out on this side of my family — that despite my failures with Abysm, I might yet make amends with his daughter. She whose eyes twinkle, whose pelt gleams beneath the summer sun; I see so much of myself in this young dreamer. So much so that to stand in her presence feels almost compulsory.

I know of you, comes the young woman’s soft voice. When she explains Abysm’s neutrality towards the subject of his mother, something lodges in my throat. The desperate part of me who longs to make amends finds herself breathless, confused, and hopeful. Trigger happy. As though she could fall into a dream right now just to go to her first born. But I stay that part of me, swallowing against the invisible knot that blocks my airway; I have a duty to my present self and to Catcher, one which I shall not forego on the whim of a woman who failed me so many years ago. Catcher’s words make this easier, a genuine and laughter-filled grin befalling my expression as she compliments my appearance.

”You are generous in your assessment,” I reply, tilting my head. The scar that runs along it from my left ear to my right nostril, years old now, mars what may once have been a beautiful face; not that its presence concerns me any. The day I earned its mark in exchange for Solace’s immortality was one of the happiest of my life thus far; to never have to say goodbye to the one I love meant and still means far more to me than any imperfection.  ”But thank you, anyhow. You are beautiful yourself.” At this, I lean forward and, with care, brush a strand of Catcher’s mane out from the tangle of her long black lashes. ”And no matter how your body changes or ages, that will remain true... even if you think otherwise.”

Catcher continues on to tell me of her upraising, one which sounds fair but light-handed. So often is that the case in Beqanna that I find myself unsurprised at the allowance; but still, I smile to know that I may yet have an influence in shaping the young mare before me.

”May I ask your mother’s name?” I say, ears perked for the answer. ”And do you have any siblings? I’m sorry to say that I know very little of Abysm’s family, hence the questions.”

At her final query, my weight sinks back into my haunches, my eyes drifting skyward with an upturn or my lips. ”The contents of my life extend far beyond a simple sentence or two,” I laugh, images of my last aflurry in my mind’s eye. ”And of course, it would be easier to show you in the dreamscape, but I’m sure we can find much better uses of our time there.” I smirk at my own implication, pausing a moment longer with my eyes sent up before allowing them to fall back to Catcher. ”Alas, what I can tell you is that I am married to a beautiful mare called Solace, that we are expecting twins this spring, and that we once ruled the Eastern quadrant together for years... Now, we live a simple in Tephra.” I smile to think of Solace asleep amidst her grapes, grown by yours truly. ”Both of our parents and many of our children  live there. You would be welcome to come and visit us, whenever it pleases you.”

”Wisdom, though...” My grin turns rascally. ”I can’t claim to have been born with much, so my only advice is to live long, live well, and not to take any shit from others. And if you feel called to a life in politics, that last tidbit goes double.” I can almost feel a headache coming on at the memories of my time on a throne. ”Oh, and last but not least, those who ask are most likely to receive...”
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver

Messages In This Thread
    caught in the afterglow; any - by Catcher - 08-18-2019, 07:27 PM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Kagerus - 08-24-2019, 04:42 PM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Catcher - 04-26-2020, 06:51 PM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Kagerus - 04-28-2020, 04:53 PM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Catcher - 04-29-2020, 03:24 PM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Kagerus - 04-29-2020, 04:38 PM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Catcher - 05-20-2020, 08:29 AM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Kagerus - 05-21-2020, 11:55 AM