• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

caught in the afterglow; any
    Kagerus
    { and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times }

Kerrigan, my granddaughter answers. The unfamiliarity of her dam's name accompanies a curious hesitancy in Catcher's voice as she enunciates it, one which I take careful note of. Though I only speculate at its meaning, my guesses (involving my son's avoidant attachment style which I take full responsibility for) bring a tight heaviness to my chest. A pressure. An inhale marks the beginning of my further inquiries about this downcast association of hers but the youthful mare beats me to the punch, speaking with a more jovial tone as she explains her heritage to me.

The shift of the beautiful mare into an enormous, predatorial snake causes my withers to flinch and my horned head to toss with a snort. Though the whites of my eyes show for a moment out of instinct, the smile on my face grows. "I am impressed," I allow, stepping forward to extend my face towards the jaded snake. The softness of my muzzle brushes from the side of her head down the length of her upright body until I reach the forest floor. The strange, smooth-scaled sensation of her sends pleasant chills through my body and I step back, hoping to have imbued a sense of confidence and trustworthiness in the mare who shifts back into her equine shape all too soon.

I can empathize with a fear of one's own power, I think to her, though I know she cannot hear me.

"Thank you," I laugh at her following words. "I suspect that we would raise them as cousins to their older nieces and nephews. In practice, anyhow. Labels can be hard to shake. But I do hope that you come to visit us, Catcher," I say, lowering my head to indicate the genuity of my hope. "My wife, our children, and so many other family members would be there to greet you with open hearts."

The mare's last request brings a devilish tone to the curve of my smiling lips. "I was afraid you'd never ask." Pivoting such that I align with the young woman from shoulders to hips, I reach to shut her eyes with the velvet of my muzzle. "I'll see you on the other side."

And, as we stand like that, two almost mirror-images (red hue, spotted bodies, onyx horns, and Arabian physiques), we fall asleep.

The drop into the dreamscape feels tantalizing with another dreamer by my side. The usual sensation of gravity increasing and pressure turning one's insides out which accompanies the beginning of my dreams transforms to accommodate Catcher's version, one which I cannot begin to describe but which leaves me breathless and thrilled.

We awaken on the other side with a sharp inhale. My first time in a dream with another dreamer, I think to myself. So far, most of our surroundings remain nondescript blossoms of muted colours; I leave them as such for now and maintain an equine form as I turn to face my granddaughter.

"I would like for you to show me what you already know... Do you dream often?"

[Image: kag]
    dreamweaver

Messages In This Thread
    caught in the afterglow; any - by Catcher - 08-18-2019, 07:27 PM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Kagerus - 08-24-2019, 04:42 PM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Catcher - 04-26-2020, 06:51 PM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Kagerus - 04-28-2020, 04:53 PM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Catcher - 04-29-2020, 03:24 PM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Kagerus - 04-29-2020, 04:38 PM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Catcher - 05-20-2020, 08:29 AM
    RE: caught in the afterglow; any - by Kagerus - 05-21-2020, 11:55 AM