• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

blue eyes and blue skies fade into the dark; aten

Aten's features gentle under the mentioning of his family and Lilliana feels her own features, the rigid tension that she held between her shoulders and the taut arch of her neck start to flee. The golden Champion speaks of those closest to him and the smile that graces Lilli's dark mouth is wistful, happy to know that the champagne stallion has a solace beneath these trees. "Fillies at that age are usually ready to run," she adds. Even Lilliana, who had been so content to be with her family, can remember the desire firing within her to try new things and encounter new faces. (And even if she had never been the one to test boundaries, she had never said 'no' when Elaina had prompted them into all sorts of adventures outside of Murmuring Rivers.)

The crimson mare listens quietly as Aten then worries about his son. Her brow furrows for a moment before she asks, "Depending on where I go," (she throws this idea out tentatively - her ideas have been rather brash lately and she doesn't want to upset Aten), "perhaps I could take him with me on my next diplomatic mission? He could get out of Taiga for a bit and have a little adventure." Her gaze had shifted away from the champagne stallion, uncertain of his reaction. She's already volunteered a ward in his name. This might be a too-large leap of faith. But she remembers the trip she took to Ischia with Lepis and Celina, the way that the then-yearling had looked so enamored of the beach and seemed so excited at the prospect at new things, and thinks that such a thing might be good for Kalil.

The conversation moves ahead, moves to Brine and Ruth. She had regretted that there hadn't been anytime to speak with Aten before that conversation (but then who can plan for the unexpected?). The idea had come, unbidden, and Lilliana had given it life in hopes that it was the right thing to do. Ruth to Taiga where she could grow under the care of Aten and Lethia and Brine to Nerine where she could be close enough but far enough away that her daughter could blossom. And honestly, Lilliana had liked (and enjoyed) introducing the roan mare to Neverwhere. It was a comfort to know that her friend wasn't alone -  even if Never tried to indicate that being alone was just fine with her. 

Aten tells her about Ruth and Lilliana commits everything to memory, ready to recount every word to Brine should she ask and her earnest expression as she turns her head to him tells that plainly. (She wants to paint as detailed an image of Ruth's life in Taiga that the roan mare would feel like she had physically been here.) The yearling seems to be settling in as well as can be expected and Lilli softens at those words. Gently, "If you think she'd like, I could take both her and Kalil with me one day. We could take a visit to Nerine or Ischia, maybe." Under the guise of diplomacy or just for pleasure. Neither matters much to Lilliana in that moment; she remembers what it was to be separated from her family and how badly she just wanted something to take her mind off their absence. 

He changes the subject again, taking her apology and accepting it. She dips her chiseled head, feeling something lighten within her. "Thank you," she murmurs and then gives a shake of her head. "I know.. it just felt so presumptuous not to ask." Aten is one of those golden souls, she realizes. He is someone who seems so untarnished by this life and there are echoes of familiarity there: her father had been like that (Though Valerio had certainly gotten tangled and torn, his intents and his heart had always been in the right place). 

At the thought of her father, her throat goes dry. It's been years and she can still recall how much his approval had meant. How badly she had wanted to be like him. "You can always count on my friendship, Aten. And I am so grateful for yours."

@[Aten]

but it's all in the past, love
    it's all gone with the wind

Messages In This Thread
    RE: blue eyes and blue skies fade into the dark; aten - by lilliana - 12-14-2019, 04:05 PM