• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  The bridges are burning, the heat's on my face
    Not long is how long it takes him to break the silence she has created between them. Neverwhere does not lift her head to observe him when he turns to watch her, or even when he speaks, but she does pause a moment in her grazing. Her response is slow, letting his lackluster greeting hang in the air for a time. Her tipless ears flicker forward and back, and at last she lifts her head, leveling a cool look at his wildly marked face.

His height forces her to look up to meet his gaze, a position she despises, so she settles back slightly on her haunches, one hind resting on its edge, and tilts her head just enough to take him in fully. Somehow, with her head cocked, she manages to look more skeptical than inquisitive. The firm line of her mouth, perhaps, does not help, nor the slight narrowing of her eyes that causes small wrinkles to form at their edge. It's already as bad as she expected it to be, this recruiting thing, and the bald-faced mare resolves to leave it to Eurwen from now on.

"Color me unsurprised." Her voice is a drawl, More's the pity. "I suppose you already know you look ridiculous, so we'll move on from there," a small dig, prodding for a reaction, "Is there a point to all that?"

And so saying, she gestures at him, her muzzle tracing a small circle in the air. Is there a point to that, to him, to looking the way that he does? She can't see it. The question could be as easily turned on her, it's unlikely he had any more choice in the patterns on his skin as she had in the warm grey-brown tone draped across her own. Such concerns have never held her back, however, she is brash and prefers to speak without care for how the words will fall on those who hear them.

Awaiting his answer, she looks away, turning to the orange-gold of the early autumn field. The clarity of the world is discomfiting, but she does not let the strangeness color the cynical scowl of her face with wonder or interest. If anything, she looks a bit bored, though her eyes linger over-long on the defined edges of each blade of grass and the sun-bright gleams of light that reflect from the central lake. If she looks as if she'd rather be anywhere else than here, well, that is close enough to true that it almost doesn't matter.

Neverwhere

Messages In This Thread
    RE: The bridges are burning, the heat's on my face - by Neverwhere - 12-18-2019, 10:24 PM