• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Lost in the deep end // Neverwhere
    His pale lips bowed upward at her hesitant words, the ground a little less ragged beneath his feet for a few paces. She sounded so surprised by the idea, and it tugged at something within his own chest. 

Had he the eyes to see it, he might have noted some similarities between the two of them. Wind-snarled manes, and faces scarred by a life of finding things nose first. Sturdy, dark bodies and white as snow faces, outlined against the wintry landscape. It was a kind of congruous harmony that leant the scene artistic balance, the kind he might have appreciated if he could only see it. Maybe not. His only sense of aesthetic was in the way certain scents and textures aligned. To that end, he was certainly impressed with their journey. 

The crunch of ice beneath his feet, the bare patches where their hooves clattered on stone and shale. It made a sort of music to him when set against the crash of waves and the screaming sea birds. It was cacophony, and it was beautiful. He hummed softly at the woman's words, and they seemed to be right. "I'm happy to hear it, Lady." He replied, having nothing else to call her. He was, too. She had a brisk way of speaking, and it seemed unlikely that she would wait on anyone who fell behind her train of thought. It was not a gentle place, and perhaps she was not a gentle mare. She was kind though, and seemed to genuinely enjoy the land that walked on. 

They walked on for a while longer in the silence they both wore like a second coat. He let it go before she broke it once again, in a way that caught him off guard. His shuffling gait missed a step, before he returned to his place at her hip. "Is it that obvious?" His face fell into rueful lines while he determined what could be said. What to admit. In the end though, it seemed there was no point making things up. He had a sneaking suspicion that this gruff woman would appreciate it about as much as a fly bite to the buttcheek. 

A groan sifted through his lungs before he carried on, plodding steadily by her side. "Doesn't really matter what I'm looking for. It's more a matter of staying out of the way." And there it was. The real reason the midnight stallion's feet never stayed in one place long. The answer to the big question that had. been dodged over and over again. "I'm no fighter. Even if I wanted to be. And most of the time I'm too afraid to say something that'll make someone else want to fight me that I either just smile and agree, or say nothing at all. I have yet to find a kingdom with time for a blind stallion with no talent for war or talking. Best just to keep moving along." A shrug rippled the gilded curves of his withers, the facts of his life laid bare. He wouldn't let himself become the ward his sisters must mind for the rest of their days, so it was walking the world that he was left with. Lonely at times, but it was at least a life on his own terms.

@[Neverwhere]

Messages In This Thread
    Lost in the deep end // Neverwhere - by Tyr - 12-31-2019, 08:28 PM
    RE: Lost in the deep end // Neverwhere - by Tyr - 01-07-2020, 03:20 PM
    RE: Lost in the deep end // Neverwhere - by Tyr - 01-15-2020, 06:12 PM
    RE: Lost in the deep end // Neverwhere - by Tyr - 01-21-2020, 09:12 PM
    RE: Lost in the deep end // Neverwhere - by Tyr - 02-04-2020, 04:18 PM