• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  following the shadow when I know damn well that behind me is the light; ryatah
    The Devil was evil, mad―but I was the devil's wife.

She nods at Ryatah’s answer. She realizes, if the question were turned on her, she doesn’t know how she would answer. Certainly, much of her aches for those early years, when she was a queen and readily bore children. Even after he died (the first time), she had made a happy life for herself, she had gone into her own first death with the love of a dear and long dead man.
    (She had not wanted to come back. She had fought and screamed. Ironic, that she’s ended up where she has.)
    She is pulled out of this introspection at Ryatah’s question, which aligns similarly enough. She smiles, remembering him as a child, their strange bond. She never thought, then, that they’d both be around centuries later, that he would find godhood somewhere along she way, while she found…found what? Death magic that was largely worthless, for she cannot summon those she wishes to summon and she cannot save those she wishes to save.

“Overconfident,” she answers, almost laughing, “and dramatic. Less controlled – he was scared to be with me, at first, because he assumed he’d hurt me.”
    He did, of course. Never physically – unlike Ryatah, he had never killed her, their romance lacked that particular aspect – but of course, there were many ways to hurt someone. Leaving them abandoned at the end of the world, for one. The fact he’d eventually shape galaxies to bring her back did not distract from how long that particular mission took.
    “I always knew greatness was in his blood. I never saw…this, though. Certainly never thought we’d be here.”
    She’s barely finished when Ryatah’s eyes change, and she knows they have been found. Instinctively, she rushes forward, embraces the mare, and something passes between them.
    “Thank you,” she says, “for staying.”
    She releases her shield, does not want to provoke him enough to come here (they will deal with that later, on her terms). In a blink, and angel is gone, and Gail is alone once more.

Gail

Messages In This Thread
    RE: following the shadow when I know damn well that behind me is the light; ryatah - by gail - 02-08-2020, 06:45 PM