• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I've got my heart set on anywhere but here - litotes
    she wanted what every young heart wanted —
    for something beautiful to find her beautiful.
    She watches him as he walks over to the tree and she fights the urge to follow him. Even though she cannot shake the feeling that she knows him, that they were somehow meant for each other (and she is still too young to know that fate didn’t always work the way you think it will; that even though their hearts may have been destined to intertwine it didn’t guarantee happiness, it didn’t mean one or both of them would not end up shattered), she recognizes that they do not truly know each other. And so no matter how badly she wants to touch her lips to his cheek, to trace across the silver snowflakes on his face and see if she could somehow chase the sadness from his eyes, she doesn’t move.

She listens to him, and though she had half-expected that this is what he was going to say, to actually hear him utter the words causes her heart to drop to the furthest depths of her chest. A visible hurt and surprise flash across her face, her mind swimming as she tries to process all that this means. The idea of her mother having ever been in love with anyone else was unfathomable, but the idea of her being in love with him was heart-wrenching.

She had assumed that there would have been others before her; but she had never dreamed that her mother would be one of them.

“Oh,” is all she says at first, a breathy and sorrowful sound, and she can’t think of anything to follow it up with. She can’t sort her spinning thoughts into words, and everything that she thinks of just seemed so...empty. She stands there in her dizzy silence, pulling her wings closer to her sides as though that could somehow ward off the sick feeling in her stomach and the tightness in her chest. She knows she should say something, that she should acknowledge all that he had just told her, but she doesn’t.

It’s not until she blinks away the shock and hurt that her silver eyes refocus on him, and she thinks, in that instant, that he could do absolutely anything and she would forgive him for it. She forgets about her mother, about her half-siblings, and about all the other what ifs and the other secrets that she is sure she doesn’t know and might possibly never find out. She closes the short space between them, and this time, she does reach out to touch his face. She trails her lips along the snowflakes, and then slowly up across his cheek, and she says softly, “I don’t need easy.”
    l i l t

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I've got my heart set on anywhere but here - litotes - by Lilt - 02-23-2020, 08:57 PM