• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  I've seen ghosts brighter than her soul, anyone

You twist, I turn, who's the first to burn?

You sit and stay, I don't obey.

He should be as dissolute and jaded as any other who had learned of the true nature of the world. He should be, and yet somehow, he is not. His life until recently had been, by any definition of the word, hellish. There had been little joy to be found in the endless, brutal training to be a defender of a forgotten city. Despite this, he had retained a naivete that allowed him to find pleasure in the simplest things in life.

The fact that he had been forged in the fires of damnation seemed only to enhance his stubborn determination to achieve freedom. Had only served to fuel the fires of his impossible belief that there must be something better.

He cannot read her thoughts as he reaches his nose to her antlers. A good thing, in all likelihood. For all that he trusts her, it is something that would only hold him so far. Endless repetition had honed his instincts, and no matter that he would not wish to respond in kind, he would have. In the end, her restraint is a blessing. One he doesn’t even know he’d been granted.

Her blunt response to his curious questions brings his aqua gaze down to find hers. The flatness of her words might not have registered had she not continued, clarifying what she meant by fighting for them. Brows furrowing, he tries to recall fighting her. Without thinking, his own head tips as well, bring his antlers forward to clatter faintly against hers as he peers at her with a baffled gaze.

“I do not recall us fighting,” he finally replies, uncertainty coloring the edges of his words. Abruptly a thought occurs that stirs alarm deep in his breast. “It was not one of my brother’s was it? I did not think they would come to the surface so easily.”
    Voracious

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I've seen ghosts brighter than her soul, anyone - by Voracious - 03-24-2020, 04:08 PM