• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I've seen monsters chasing dreams; Chasity
    '"Nikkai gives her word on training the army, and for this she is grateful, but her last words are those that are truly precious to her. She embraces the mare at once, and as she breathes a sigh of relief against her neck, at last, the beginning of a smile returns to her lips. “Thank you Nikkai, thank you,” she murmurs against her ashen coat. “You haven’t any idea how much this means to me.” And as she draws away from her touch, the loyalty in their eyes are akin. Together they will accomplish. It seems that dark times are threatening to weigh upon the world, and they may well be about to become lost in the midst of those years—but where there is love there is hope.” – Chasity, 2006.

She led her kingdom with kindness and grace, but that wasn’t enough when storm-clouds settled over the land. It started with a whisper. A rumour of battle between neighbouring kingdoms. The whispers became stronger and louder, until they became a chorus of fear, and then, a wild roar. The darkness of those days weighed upon Chasity’s heart, and she was afraid she would lose herself to it. And so, she passed her throne to the most competent warrior she ever knew. Nikkai.

No blood was spilt in the waterfalls in the weeks that followed, of that Chasity is certain. She ensured her kingdom was safe before heading into the horizon. What happened after… she is now piecing together the story through the fragments that remain.

She has, at least, found some solace in the Meadow.

Chasity stands in the open field, the long grass tickling her belly, and breaths the smell of damp earth and honeydew. She can hear the merry chatter of the bluebirds in the trees, and it fills her heart with a bittersweet joy. The Meadow is one of the remaining pieces of her old world. She watches a kaleidoscope of butterflies fluttering from flower to flower, remembering when she used to dance with them wild and carefree, some many moons and worlds ago.

Chasity?

She startles, her own name foreign to her, unable to recall the last time it was spoken. A mare rushes towards her, stumbling, and Chasity finds her breath knocked from her lungs. She could never forget that face, those hardened eyes. Her General, her Queen—her friend.

“Nikkai…” 

For a moment she feels frozen. They stand together, silent. Unspoken memories dance between them, as affection shines in her old friend’s eyes. And suddenly, for the first time since she found herself lost in this upside-down world, all of the strength and bravery that Chasity had used to glue herself together begins to melt away at the seams.

“Oh Nikkai.”

She closes the distance between them, nestling her weary head into the mare’s mane in a quiet embrace. She softens into the warmth of her skin, closing her eyes and steadying her racing heart.

“I thought there was nothing left,” she confides to the mare quietly, her voice quaking. “They told me that our kingdom was gone. But you… you’re still here.”

She draws away from the mare, her eyes damp and brimming with questions. How did she get here? How long has it been? Why can’t she remember? Why? But for the first time in some many days, she knows that now, she will be okay. After all: where there is love there is hope.

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I've seen monsters chasing dreams; Chasity - by Chasity - 03-24-2020, 05:49 PM