• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
    [private]  water keeps passing by as life does, in a dream

oceane
    with tremulous cadence slow, and bring
    the eternal note of sadness in

Alcinder grins as the roan stallion reaches down to ruffle his two-toned mane. Both man and colt seem much more comfortable around each other today compared to the day Al had almost literally run into Leilan during his mad dash out of Pangea, which helps the young colt to decide that he is actually quite happy his mother had forced him into this meeting. Leilan's offer draws instant curiosity from the boy; he had, in fact, inherited his own mother's thirst for anomalies and knowledge, and so he sidles off for a brief adventure while the adults talk.

Ever curious, however, he does his best to remain within hearing range.

Oceane watches the opaline boy go, finding comfort in the fact that he is so relaxed around both politics and dragons, before turning her full attention back to the ice-flecked stallion. She doesn't miss the way he stays politely silent while she speaks and affords her friend the same respect as he gathers his own response.

Her lips twitch into the faintest of grins as he speaks of Nerine and its stubbornness, but otherwise lets that topic come to rest as they begin to discuss what Loess can do to countermeasure Castile's destruction of the Isle. The Loessian woman has no expectation that Leilan will accept the offer she has placed before him ─ but that does not stop her from hoping.

And, indeed, he does rebuff the offer, though not unkindly. Oceane remains quiet, her ears pressed in his direction, as he picks apart what has been set upon his charred table ─ and, truth be told, friend or not, she is in no position to tell Leilan just what Lepis will or will not accept responsibility for. Those conversations are saved for the heart of Loess, not to be shared by the mouth of a diplomat. For the first time since her return to Loess from Pangea, Oceane feels the faintest hint of bitter helplessness.

Had Castile's desire for her to wear the crown after his abdication come to fruition, she would be in this very same position now, but with much more ability to agree to Leilan's terms on her own and without delay.

When he has presented his counteroffer in its entirety, Oceane lets a comfortable silence settle between them. She mulls over it, pensive, as she turns her amber eyes to Alcinder exploring in the distance. She can see the way his ears are pressed high in their direction, and she can't help the smile that finds her mouth as she realizes he, too, is awaiting her response to Leilan.

"Alcinder," she calls to the boy, and he reduces the distance between them with a collected trot. He looks between them expectantly with wide silver eyes before Oceane addresses him quietly, with a test: "What do you think we should do, Al?"

He's caught off guard by his mother's question ─ he hadn't anticipated that he would be part of this process, but he supposes that is what he gets for eavesdropping under the guise of exploring. Clearing his throat, Alcinder looks to the roan stallion briefly and then back to his mother before ever so tentatively offering a solution.

"I... I could stay," he says slowly, more out of a desire to answer correctly than out of apprehension at the idea of staying with Leilan in the Isle. He likes the ice-dragon, and despite his hatred for snow... there isn't much here right now, anyway. Plus, he thinks, he is much closer to Ischia and, therefore, Cormorant. "I could stay. As a, um... a sign of faith?" He tries to find the words he had heard his Mother and his Aunt use while they discussed politics, but can only smile sheepishly at the adults.

Oceane, overwhelmed with pride for her son who nears two-years-old this upcoming spring, nudges him warmly with her muzzle before turning her gaze back to Leilan. "A truce, not an alliance. Loess will not offer protection in the event you find yourself in the midst of war," she tells the Isle's King and then, because he is her friend, she adds, "Certainly you can understand that Loess isn't currently in the position to be able to offer that."

"And," she says as her heart begins to ache, "I will leave Alcinder to live with you for the next year, until his third birthday. As the son of the Isle's assailant, I know you see the value of his company. I will discuss your terms with Lepis and visit you when I come back for Alcinder ─ with the next ward, should Loess agree."

She is silent then, expecting a response from Leilan but is surprised when Alcinder speaks up again ─ "Can I still go see Cormorant in Ischia?" He doesn't suspect his time with Leilan will be like the months he had spent in Pangea ─ but his mother had promised him the opportunity to see the island, and he isn't ready to let go of that plan just yet.

"@[Leilan]"

n | v
    i must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
    and all i ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by

Messages In This Thread
    RE: water keeps passing by as life does, in a dream - by Oceane - 05-24-2020, 07:01 PM