• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Wolves, and stars, and snow

Tornados from a butterfly's wing

Velvet black and embedded with sky bright gems, Amarine had taken to the moors of Nerine that day. There was a restlessness in her bones. A vibrating need to keep moving, when her stomach churned. A shock of electric teal mane puffed across her neck in the wind she'd never been able to shake. Knots of blue that tugged her onward. 

She scanned the horizon repeatedly. There was something coming, she knew it, but couldn't say what. Just that there was a heaviness in the air that dogged her like an incoming thunderstorm. The lingering mist wasn't helping anything either. Everywhere were vacant shapes and shadows that teased her mind with images of hungry beasts just out of sight. 

She had almost decided to give up the day as a bad job, even this early, and to escape to the rugged shelter of the cave she'd been living in. Back to bed. She had turned to face homeward when a thread of something touched her mind. Was it scent, or feeling? Danger, or anger. 

Her lips pressed tight against each other as motion followed the vague sensation. Whirls of mist around a dark figure emerging from the vale. 

Ama doubted her eyes. Blinked harder, and saw the figure resolve into a face she remembered. Bald and ornery and missing from these cliffs for far too long. 

Like a shot from a gun, her nimble hooves careened the pony girl over tussocks of grass and runs of skree until she arrived huffing and puffing before the taller woman. "Neverwhere!" She cried, dancing on her hind legs in wonder. When her forelegs dropped back to earth, she pressed close to the mare, wuffling muzzle inhaling the woman's scent. It was her alright. 

"Where have you been! Everyone's been looking for you, and no one has told me what's been going on, not even after aunt Lilli was taken, but I know everyone has been scared and angry and then that horrible dragon man showed up and said he'd been sent to find you, but I don't think he was really interested in it," she paused for breath, inhaling the scent of the mare who was not her mother, but the closest thing she'd found to one. 

Her eyes were liquid stone, glossy with emotions that for once overruled the ones of those around her. "I thought we'd- I'd, lost you." It was a bigger display of feelings than she'd thought she'd get away with, but it couldn't be helped. Relief, all consuming relief had flooded her, and the sensation rippled around her in an unbound bubble. 

Until the sun broke through the clouds overhead, and caught on flecks of gold in the shadow at Neverwhere's hip. Ama froze, eyes riveted to the little shape she'd only just noticed. "What-" she said, voice suddenly low and measured where it had been lightning quick moments before. "What is that?" The click of her teeth snapping against one another underlined the question.

...Amarine

@[Wherewolf]

Messages In This Thread
    Wolves, and stars, and snow - by Wherewolf - 06-06-2020, 10:12 PM
    RE: Wolves, and stars, and snow - by Amarine - 06-07-2020, 08:14 AM
    RE: Wolves, and stars, and snow - by Wherewolf - 06-17-2020, 12:10 PM
    RE: Wolves, and stars, and snow - by Amarine - 06-28-2020, 08:54 PM
    RE: Wolves, and stars, and snow - by Wherewolf - 07-19-2020, 09:30 PM