• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Wolves, and stars, and snow

Hooves ring on the granite underfoot, followed closely by a voice that bounces brightly off the walls of the cliffs around them. Ama. Neverwhere's sort-of-daughter is suddenly plunging herself against the mare's broadside, pressing close and tracing her shape with her dark nose and her queer eyes as if to convince herself that what she sees and feels is real. The bald-faced mare remains still and stoic for a moment, then presses the side of her muzzle against Amarine's with a whuffling breath of greeting, her ears flickering beneath the torrent of words.

"I... did not mean to go anywhere," It's not the whole truth, not the entire story, but it is sincere. She had not meant to leave, and she still does not know where she had been headed in the delirium of fever and shock and loss of blood, "but I got lucky and found friends."

Friends, she thinks, that may not wish to be found themselves. She does not mention Pteron or Aegean or the forest. Instead she pulls slightly away to catch the yearling's gaze with her own, stern and frowning.

"Which dragon man? When?" Her life has been too full of dragons, but only one troubles her, and him because he is not a dragon at all, though he may take its shape. Only one that she has told never to return. She can't think why any of the others might have come looking for her. What could they have wanted? Perhaps she is wrong, they each trouble her, but some more than others. One part of that trouble comes around the corner, drawn by the sound of a young stranger, though for a moment he holds back, bright eyes taking in the sight of the girl that clings to his mother and the reciprocal gentleness with which the silvered mare greets her speaks - however subtly - to an affection that sparks jealousy in his heart.

What is that? the boy thinks, What are you?

"That is my son. Wherewolf." His mother says after a pause, a soft strangulation still lingering in her voice when she says the words. Wherewolf stomps his way forward, small ears flicking back as he pulls in close to his mother, wedging himself between her and the girl. He, of anyone, should know the graces of his mother are hard to come by, and he isn't about to try sharing those few soft touches and quiet moments with whoever this black and bejeweled yearling thinks she is. The brush of his short silver tail snaps and flips over his back, thin neck curling back so he can squeal and toss his head.

So wrapped up is he in warning Amarine away that he does not see the amusement in his mother's clouded eyes, nor the way her ears flatten when she nips at his haunch in reprimand. His squeal turns to protest and the gold-dappled boy jumps away, turning invisible suddenly to nurse his wounded pride where no-one can see the pout on his face. Neverwhere scoffs at the dramatics - she is certain he does not get that from her - and turns back to Ama.

"Ama, tell me what happened while I was gone."

Unseen, but not unheard, Woolly sulkily sneaks close again.

Wherewolf

Image colored by Ratty

@[Amarine] ok, this is mostly Nev but I wanted to use wooly's html because he's adorable lmao

Messages In This Thread
    Wolves, and stars, and snow - by Wherewolf - 06-06-2020, 10:12 PM
    RE: Wolves, and stars, and snow - by Amarine - 06-07-2020, 08:14 AM
    RE: Wolves, and stars, and snow - by Wherewolf - 06-17-2020, 12:10 PM
    RE: Wolves, and stars, and snow - by Amarine - 06-28-2020, 08:54 PM
    RE: Wolves, and stars, and snow - by Wherewolf - 07-19-2020, 09:30 PM