• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  with baited breath
    ↼ORIASH⇁

they promised that dreams come true

It isn’t long before Kagerus and three children join them. There is a moment of sheer panic. There are so many of them, and it feels like too much at once. Three children? It does not even cross her mind to be mad at them, to be envious of them, because they were given the life she was not. Even if the thought did cross her mind, it was not their fault. Instead though, it is only worry and fear that gnaws at her, something dark that slithers at the edges of her magic. What if they do not like her? What if, after all this time, they would deny her yet again?

But then the boys land before her, one well and one with a bit of a fumble and Ori chuckles slightly, remembering her own attempts to learn to fly. A thing she had done with Pteron’s urging, but she had learned on her own. ”Well done,” she says to both the boys, unfurling her own wings slightly with a grin. ”Perhaps we can go flying together later?” She asks, and there is such obvious hopefulness in the question that she almost hates herself for it.

Why does she care what they think? Why does she care that they love her, when they had once so easily deserted her? But the children had not, and even still, she wants to be loved. She wants to belong. Is that such a big thing to ask for?

Soon enough Kagerus and the last child, a girl, are there. Ori returns the gesture, pressing her own nose back into Kagerus, willing to accept the small comfort. For it is a comfort, despite all the hurts of the past. They do not seem to matter in that moment, and perhaps it is possible that they never will. Before she can utter a word though, one of the boys bursts out talking and all her fear, whatever might have been left of it, melts away. Her smile is large and genuine, and perhaps for the first time in her entire life, she can begin to imagine who she was meant to be.

”It is a pleasure to meet you too, Indius. I admit, I don’t have anywhere else to stay, so perhaps...perhaps I will stay?” she says, though it is half question and half statement. Still, she cannot imagine leaving, not when there were so many faces before her eager, as far as she could tell, to get to know her better. Why leave when she had finally found what she was seeking?

Set takes his leave with a tantalizing grin on his face, like a dare or a promise or a threat. Perhaps all of them. For now, she pays it little mind, though her power stir and tuck the sight away as they so often do of their own volition. Ori’s attention is drawn back to Solace and Olena at they speak, and she lowers her head to greet Olena, not pressing too close, but simply to see the girl better and offer her a smile. They do look alike, and though Olena does not know it, they perhaps are the most alike here. Ori has always been quiet and shy as well, and she still struggles to find words even now. ”I am glad to meet you, Olena. You are quite beautiful,” she says, her words soft and kind, finding it impossible not to understand this girl. No, not this girl, her sister. What a beautiful realization.

She turns her attention back to Solace as her mother speaks, and she nods in understanding. ”Nowhere has ever felt like home,” she admits, voice soft, not entirely sure why she is admitting it to them. She feels like a child before her parents, a scared and uncertain little girl in need of her mothers. But then again, has she ever been anything else?

but they forgot that nightmares are dreams too

@[Kagerus] @[Solace] @[Olena] ....that was a lot, sorry for the book. I tried to catch everything but I assume I missed stuff, haha

Use of mild power playing is allowed; no injuries without permission

Messages In This Thread
    with baited breath - by Oriash - 07-28-2020, 09:04 AM
    RE: with baited breath - by Set - 08-02-2020, 10:48 PM
    RE: with baited breath - by Solace - 08-03-2020, 09:59 AM
    RE: with baited breath - by Oriash - 08-03-2020, 03:56 PM
    RE: with baited breath - by Kagerus - 08-05-2020, 07:30 PM
    RE: with baited breath - by Olena - 08-05-2020, 09:31 PM
    RE: with baited breath - by Set - 08-13-2020, 02:24 PM
    RE: with baited breath - by Solace - 08-24-2020, 03:08 PM
    RE: with baited breath - by Oriash - 09-01-2020, 09:40 AM