• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  for all of the light that I shut out, Svedka

── and i was never sure whether you were the lighthouse or the storm ──
    She has not been to Tephra in years – not since she went to live in Hyaline with Atrox – and she is surprised that the first memory that hits her is one of fire and ash. 

Smoke from the earlier fires still hung in the air, and it reminds her of when Tephra itself had burned. Wars had been a regular part of Beqanna for as long as she can remember, but they had not been nearly so destructive initially. It is almost normal, now, for fire to ravage the lands, and she had been surprised at how fiercely she had hoped that Hyaline would be left untouched. She did not often grow attached to anything or anyone – least of all dirt and rocks and trees – but there was something about Hyaline that had earned its place inside her tattered heart. The something came in the form of yellow eyes set against a dark face, and she was slowly becoming more willing to admit that.

She steps into the familiar warmth of Tephra, and beneath the faded smell of smoke, there is the fragrance of jungle flowers and the faint sulfur of the volcano. She does not need her eyes to know that it looms large against a bright blue sky and that at night it glows vibrant and orange. It was perhaps one of the more prominent landmarks in Beqanna, and it was one of the few things she misses.

She had come here searching for Nightlock, her son, and Wonder, but instead, she finds herself closer to the volcano. It was usually quieter here, but there is a moment where she suddenly becomes aware that she is not alone. Her steps become halting and hesitant before at last, she stops. She does not need her infrared vision to find him; she had been blind before, for a hundred or so years, and she can feel the shape of him in the darkness. “I'm sorry,” she says in that soft, quiet way of hers. Her face angles towards him, the light of her halo almost softening the harshness of the gray stones embedded firmly into her porcelain skin where her nearly black eyes had once been. “I didn't realize anyone was back here.”
    ryatah

@[Svedka]

enjoy a post-buzz, super late night (early morning???) post! can I promise subsequent posts will be better? no, no I cannot.

Messages In This Thread
    for all of the light that I shut out, Svedka - by Ryatah - 09-27-2020, 03:03 AM