• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  From far away, this'll look like a comedy
    I was born in the forest.
    Momma hadn’t called it home or any of the funny names the other adults called their homes, just ‘The Forest’. She said there was a home for us out there, once or twice, but she never said its name so I guess that meant she wasn’t going back there and neither was I. The only place we ever did go was the Den, and I didn’t really like thinking about that memory so much.

It was late in the evening, past the time little colts and fillies should be out on their own. I’d been so busy playing all day that I hadn’t thought about how cold it would get after the sun went down, and when it did I was all alone again. No mother, no friends, and the other horses had all gone home. (One meanie adult had told me to go there, and I didn’t know what to say!) What was my home?

Not the den. I hated it there, really. So much sadness… TOO much sadness for me, all the time. I wanted laughter and love! Life, brimming with smiles all the time! Hugs and warm feelings. The other foals could sense my happiness (after all, in the beginning I had a lot to pretend to be happy for - I really thought momma would come back), and they clung to it like a balm for their shattered little hearts. I couldn’t go back there. They would drain me dry, and then I would have to admit to myself that being out in the cold all alone at night - wandering through the forest! - might not actually be the best thing ever.

“It IS the best thing ever!” I told myself aloud, too afraid of the silence and at the same time, terrified of how noisy my hooves were. I thought that maybe if I was really loud I could spook away the animals. What animals? I didn’t know. I never really thought of them before now, but I was suddenly very sure they were out there watching me, just waiting to pounce. My pulse quickened - I started to imagine large things moving just out of sight in the shadows, things with claws and fangs that could rip your guts out and eat your eyeballs. Or even worse, ghosts. NO - demons from the fiery pits of carnage’s lair!

YES. I was suddenly sure of it - there were demons out there, and they were following me.

I couldn’t see anything anymore. Not even the outlines of most of the trees. Barely my own hooves. Just the fuzziest idea of shapes and darkness, mostly different shades of black that made no sense. Terrified of making any noise at all and alerting the demons to my location, I’d stopped walking and was stuck in place, frozen by terror.

Was that one? Did something just move? I thought, scaring myself to death. I could feel every hair on my body standing on end, and you better believe I was ready to get the hell out of there if-
    SNAP!, a branch cracked behind me, interrupting my thoughts by surprise. I opened my mouth and screamed.

@[Aedan] if you never get time to reply to this, it still works for plot purposes <3
    [Image: decgetu-410f2b50-f05d-4438-bd4c-5d54e999...4Ft1YXr36M]

Messages In This Thread
    From far away, this'll look like a comedy - by Narcisus - 10-01-2020, 07:02 PM