• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[mature]  Despite the Overwhelming Odds, Tomorrow Came [Yanhua]

despite the overwhelming odds, tomorrow came

I heard his shout before I saw him or heard the sound of him coming nearer. I could recognize the smooth tones of his voice from anywhere, and a thrill went through me. I stopped, mid-splash, and lifted my head high, flinging my now wet mane away from my face as I did so. “Yanhua!” I greeted him with a pleasant smile on my face and a note of happiness in my voice. My stallion was finally home! I couldn’t quite see him yet, but I could now hear him coming closer. And then he was there, in all of his magnificent glory. I whinnied loudly, unable to contain my excitement, especially when he says “darling girl.” The words sound so right coming from his lips.

I step toward him as he comes nearer, reaching my nose out to touch his. He doesn’t move nearly close enough, though, so I move in closer, pressing my chest to his chest, linking my neck with his. “I missed you, too” I breathe into his back, long, deep breaths of fresh relief and love. I wasn’t ready to move away from him, not yet, so I stand there close, my wet skin dripping on his.

Finally, I step back so I can look at him properly. What would his little dove like to do today? Well, I knew just what I’d like to do. There was something I had been sitting on for a couple of months now, ever since I’d found the burned and charred part of my new home. “Come with me!” I say, breathlessly. Then, without another word, I spin on my hind legs, an elegant move, and leap forward down the path that I knew so well by now. I throw my head over my shoulder for a brief moment to make sure he is following, then I turn and move forward with a purpose.

I cantered through the trees, barely noticing them as I did. The hot sun beats down through the limbs above me, and pretty soon I am slick with sweat that mixes with the water that is quickly evaporating from my body. I move with grace and dignity, though in a rushed kind of way, until we came to the edge of the area where the fire had consumed a large portion of the Taiga forest. Here I slow, to a walk.

It would be different than when Yanhua last saw it, fresh seedlings now popping through the charred earth, larger than they should have been, for I had been coming out here ever since I had found my way here, and since I’d discovered my gift. I look back over my shoulder with a grin on my face, expecting to see a shocked and possibly bewildered look on his face. Then I stop beside a smaller seedling. “Watch this,” I say in a voice barely above a whisper. I concentrate on the seedling before me, and slowly it starts to move, to shift, and grow.

I had been waiting for what felt like an eternity to show him this, knowing that he would be both thrilled and proud. When I felt my energy faltering, I take a deep breath and look back up at him, waiting with bated breath for his reaction.

borderline

Photo by Sharon McCutcheon from Unsplash

@[Yanhua]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Despite the Overwhelming Odds, Tomorrow Came [Yanhua] - by Borderline - 10-19-2020, 01:18 PM