• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I drink and I know things; Sabra
    The wasteland of her mind was pitted with years of mistreatment. Her identity was lost in the grip of her torturers. Whatever once made Sabra Sabra had been long since buried deep in her psyche, forgotten in all but the rarest of moments. Abandoned in favor of survival. 

The cruel Voices that filled her head took their infernal task seriously. It was why They had been created, after all. To tease and torment, lie or tell the truth. Whichever would hurt most. It was easy to destroy a mind when you were privy to its every flaw and insecurity. Easier still to control it once the defences had been smashed. Yes, it was quite a success, They thought. Above and beyond the line of duty. 

They had been enjoying their game, superimposing the duplicate man in her mind. Sometimes it's the simplest diversions that are the most fun. Her dizzy, sleep deprived mind readily accepted the falsehood, and They jeered gleefully as her fragile bravado quaked. Oh, she was a fighter, even when the war was long since lost. Always giving Them something to do, and they fondly obliged. 

Until. No. No, you don't! They hissed, loudly in her mind, barely audible to the outsider. A mind-speaker, a thought projector, touching and probing at that which They'd spend so long twisting to Their liking. This interloper would not interfere. 

"He lies," They whispered, sweet and assuring. "Just as they all do. Everyone you've ever loved, they lie. Why should a stranger be any different?" They felt her flinch. Take a wavering step backward into the loamy earth. Good, yes... They could feel the thoughts he wanted to offer her, doing battle with Their own creation. Her vision flickered; one man, then two again, then one. Their will against the stranger's. 

It was unfortunate for him that he would attempt this on Their home turf. On the mind of one who They were so inextricably enmeshed with. Like a cancer, They had spread. It had been years since They had first been introduced to her, little seeds of doubt sewn with the stake in her breast. And she had been such fertile ground to grow in. Already full of fear and sorrow, mistrust for the world around her. Easy, easy fodder for Their endless hunger. 

Leave

They ordered, doubtless that they would be heard. 

She is Ours

Frozen in what seemed like fear, she remained rooted in place, a third party uninvited from her own mind. Her will was not being counted at the moment. They knew she was halfway to bolting already, but something held her in place. That last little ember of defiance that made her such an interesting host now gleamed hopeful from the crevice she had buried it in. 

What a drag. 

@[Keel]

Messages In This Thread
    I drink and I know things; Sabra - by Keel - 11-02-2020, 09:55 PM
    RE: I drink and I know things; Sabra - by Sabra - 11-17-2020, 03:27 PM
    RE: I drink and I know things; Sabra - by Keel - 11-20-2020, 12:00 AM
    RE: I drink and I know things; Sabra - by Sabra - 11-23-2020, 12:47 PM