• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I’m frozen in motion; Rosey
    It's a funny thing about winter - and how much Lilliana seems to hate and still adore or at least, endure it. In the case of myself, well - I suppose in retrospect I had her quite warm up to the idea of winter, though I wouldn't exactly dare to say it in her face. Or in front of the kids. Well maybe one day, when they are older, I can make such remarks.

In fact, she might have taken it to heart so much, that sometimes when I look in her eyes I can feel cold. Not, of course, the physical kind - like Rosey and Oren, I haven't felt physically cold for years now, and I don't expect it to change any time soon. About that, a little idea has formed in my mind, but tonight is not the time to explore fairy magic. Tonight is the time to explore what ridiculous stories Lilli has woven into Rosey's mind.

They're asleep by the time I get there, but the little girl isn't a deep sleeper - or at least she isn't when she knows to expect me every other night. I try to refrain from coming every day, so that she actually sleeps at least some nights. Though I have a feeling she has taken on the habit of napping during the daytime to catch up; at least, that's when Oren gets frustrated about not having a playmate.

She sounds drowsy now, when she tries to chastise me for being late. "A dragon is never late. He arrives exactly when he means to." I tease her, a stolen quote from I don't know how long ago. Maybe my mother's stories. Ah, she would have loved this little girl so much. Not that she didn't love all children, but I feel like she would get along with Rosey so well. Perhaps one day she'll return.

I reach down for her mane, the shadows dropped or expanded around her as well (honestly I don't really know how that works and I don't care, as long as she can see me). "Chasing the nightmares out," I tell her. It's my standard answer and maybe she's getting too old to accept it as an answer, but really, what can one do? It's partly the truth, for I always check the perimeter of this particular sleeping spot, and am especially keen on keeping my own worries from reaching the kids. There'll be enough worry for them when they grow older, and they certainly don't need me to carry my own heavy crown-thoughts along every time we meet.

"Have you succeeded in keeping your brothers out of trouble today?" I ask it as a way of checking in with her, of course, but the little ritual is all that I have sometimes. Roselin is all I need to keep away the rest of the world, a thing that even her mother and the mare before her only ever succeeded in temporarily.
    my head tells me to stop - but my heart goes

@[Roselin] sorry this took forever
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

Messages In This Thread
    I’m frozen in motion; Rosey - by Leilan - 11-12-2020, 04:04 PM
    RE: I’m frozen in motion; Rosey - by Roselin - 11-13-2020, 06:02 PM
    RE: I’m frozen in motion; Rosey - by Leilan - 12-08-2020, 11:46 AM
    RE: I’m frozen in motion; Rosey - by Roselin - 12-11-2020, 09:36 PM
    RE: I’m frozen in motion; Rosey - by Leilan - 12-23-2020, 04:38 AM
    RE: I’m frozen in motion; Rosey - by Roselin - 01-01-2021, 07:09 PM
    RE: I’m frozen in motion; Rosey - by Leilan - 01-14-2021, 12:27 PM
    RE: I’m frozen in motion; Rosey - by Roselin - 01-15-2021, 11:20 AM