• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  spirits in the dark are waiting
    take my soul & make it undone
    be the one, be the one to take me home and show me the sun. i know, i know you can bring the fire, i can bring the bones. i know, i know you'll make the fire, my bones will make it grow.

She has spent too much time wrapped in the embrace of rediscovery.

The transition from Death to Life had been dramatic enough. She had adored the painful strength of the desert sun’s rays, but it did not compare to the fullness she felt when her senses were fully restored after she stepped through that mysterious portal. The crystalline blue of water had never looked so beautiful, the tingling scent of pine trees had never smelled so wonderful, the taste of summertime grass had never been so delicious.

Indeed that transition from gray to color had been striking, but her reflection in that patch of slick ice had been the true reason for her long absence from society. The only two things that remained from the Wishbone of the past were a pair of fiery amber eyes and that drawl of honey and whiskey. Her mahogany face had been swept away by the hands of magic and Death, replaced by a chiseled dark face carved with a gold badger marking. The crisscrossed pattern of scars on her knees had melted into long legs built for speed and athleticism.

While the grayness of Death had easily faded into a hazy memory lying just outside the corners of her consciousness, it took Wishbone longer to adapt to an entirely new body. Her purpose became lost, a blurred concept she felt herself reaching toward. No matter how hard she stretched into the darkness, she could not achieve that bright spark. Wishbone spent days, weeks, months staring into any surface that would shine her unfamiliar face back in her direction.

She wondered if she would ever feel comfortable with herself.
    The legs too tall, the head too clearly-defined, the onyx too dark.

And finally, as winter gave into spring and spring began to succumb to summer, Wishbone felt herself relax into the legs and the head and the onyx.

So she gathered the fearlessness and fire that had fed her all those years ago. She pushed her way through the forest and into the Meadow just as the sun stretched into its highest point in the cloudless sky.
    credit to eliza of adoxography.

Messages In This Thread
    spirits in the dark are waiting - by Wishbone - 11-25-2020, 12:30 AM
    RE: spirits in the dark are waiting - by quell - 11-27-2020, 11:55 AM
    RE: spirits in the dark are waiting - by Wishbone - 11-28-2020, 03:45 PM
    RE: spirits in the dark are waiting - by quell - 11-29-2020, 08:22 PM
    RE: spirits in the dark are waiting - by Wishbone - 11-30-2020, 05:09 PM
    RE: spirits in the dark are waiting - by quell - 12-02-2020, 11:26 AM