• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  here we are in the heart of the darkness; Briseis

I've learned to live with these fatal gifts
    and still you're mine

She had taught him more than just how to accept himself. She had taught him the true meaning of love. He had never doubted its existence (how could he?), but it had always seemed simple and ephemeral and so far out of his reach. But he had learned it is neither simple nor ephemeral. He had learned just how easy a simple misunderstanding could sever the bonds in the most painful of ways.

He had vowed never again. Had sworn she would always know his mind, no matter how difficult or uncomfortable. And she chases away his doubts as she always does. He could only hope he would chase away hers as well.

Because, like the beast he had long ago become, he could not give her up. He does not care to dwell on it - something terrible and dangerous lurks too closely beneath the surface when he does - but he recognizes its existence. Recognizes it is as much a part of him as the shadows. He knows as instinctively as he can feel the darkness on his skin that he would never hurt. But neither could he ever release her. Just as he knew he would gladly tear apart anyone that tried to come between them.

Her lips are soft on his cheek, warming the coolness with her simple touch. His own lips find the curve of neck, a whisper of touch even as a smile blooms before a soft laugh escapes his throat. It warms him, tickling his pride that she believed him worthy of leadership (even if he knows he would be the worst of rulers).

“You mistake me for my sister,” he replies softly, amusement in his tone. “I have never desired that responsibility. Your world is large enough for me. So much bigger than any distant kingdom.” His lips move then, tracing down the line of her gently sloped shoulder, across her ribs. Distracting her from such fanciful notions. Distracting them both.

Ether

@[Briseis]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: here we are in the heart of the darkness; Briseis - by Ether - 02-04-2021, 11:32 AM